Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fernando Torres

Off to AC Milan on a 2 year loan!!! Apparently missed the plane

Comments

• Options
    Good move for him, hopefully he can refind his incredible talent. Good luck to him, he always seemed decent and always tried.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Showed some clips of his best bits for Liverpool on SSN utterly devasting. Like a totally different player from the pile of crap in a Chelsea shirt.
  • Options
    Used to love watching Torres, but toward the end of his time at Liverpool I began to notice that he can be a really nasty git, and the more frustrated he got the more he would whinge, moan and kick and gouge people. So I thoroughly enjoyed his troubles as a result of realising he's a bit of a wanker.
  • Options
    This just highlights again that Chelsea own too many players. I really don't think it's right that a team can have so many players out on loan. And a TWO YEAR loan? Ffs. Just sell him you pricks.
  • Options
    Agree about the loans but I don't think they can sell him. Not for a respectable amount.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Agree about the loans but I don't think they can sell him. Not for a respectable amount.

I get you, but I say tough shit. He's been shit and will, as a result of being shit, make them a loss. That's the way it goes. If he'd been a revelation, they could've sold him for 100million. You win some, you lose some.
    This whole thing where wealthy clubs have about 20 (or more) players out on loan just gets my goat.
    Like the cards aren't stacked in the big clubs' favour enough already.
  • Options
    Agree with you LL, should be limits on the number of players clubs can loan out (and in).
  • Options
    How old is he now? You'd understand if he was a nipper and 2-years banging the goals in would up his transfer value but surely Torres will be all done in 2-years. Seems weird that they want him off the wages bill but won't take whatever Milan probably offered for a transfer?
    It is a shame as he was proper class at Liverpool and proper dogshit for Chelski
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

How old is he now? You'd understand if he was a nipper and 2-years banging the goals in would up his transfer value but surely Torres will be all done in 2-years. Seems weird that they want him off the wages bill but won't take whatever Milan probably offered for a transfer?
    It is a shame as he was proper class at Liverpool and proper dogshit for Chelski

Only got 2 years left on his contract as well
  • Options
    Even weirderer then isn't it....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

Even weirderer then isn't it....?

Not if Chelsea want to keep the option to recall him.
  • Options
    These ridiculous loans are the result of Financial Fair Play. Expenditure on players is spread evenly in the accounts over the length of the player's contract, unless they're sold, when any remaining fee which had not been written off in past years has to be included in full. So by having a loan, Chelsea only have 1 year of his transfer value in their accounts, rather than the 2 he has left on his contract. Given Chelsea were rumoured to be rather close to breaking those particular rules last year, I doubt they have much room left.

Another side effect of this regulation is that clubs are incentivised to give longer contracts as it reduces the amount of any transfer fee which is written off each year. I'mot sure how creating long term liabilities is better for any business, let alone football club, but hey, it's another reason to hate UEFA/FIFA and fairer
  • Options
    They've signed Remy. Torres won't wear a Chelsea shirt again.
  • Options

These ridiculous loans are the result of Financial Fair Play. Expenditure on players is spread evenly in the accounts over the length of the player's contract, unless they're sold, when any remaining fee which had not been written off in past years has to be included in full. So by having a loan, Chelsea only have 1 year of his transfer value in their accounts, rather than the 2 he has left on his contract. Given Chelsea were rumoured to be rather close to breaking those particular rules last year, I doubt they have much room left.

Another side effect of this regulation is that clubs are incentivised to give longer contracts as it reduces the amount of any transfer fee which is written off each year. I'mot sure how creating long term liabilities is better for any business, let alone football club, but hey, it's another reason to hate UEFA/FIFA and fairer

The academy status levels make this happen to (For example, a team with a cat 1 academy can take your player and give you pittance and you cannot do anything about it)
  • Options
    I suspect that Chelsea wanted him gone but Milan wouldn't commit to the wages for a full two year deal. I would also be unsurprised if Chelsea are paying some of his wages and probably don't want to pay that upfront to make the deal permanent.

He was not the player when he left Liverpool that he had been previously. An extended period of injuries might have destroyed his career. Selling him for £50m was, possibly, the best bit of transfer business Liverpool have ever done!
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I suspect that Chelsea wanted him gone but Milan wouldn't commit to the wages for a full two year deal. I would also be unsurprised if Chelsea are paying some of his wages and probably don't want to pay that upfront to make the deal permanent.

He was not the player when he left Liverpool that he had been previously. An extended period of injuries might have destroyed his career. Selling him for £50m was, possibly, the best bit of transfer business Liverpool have ever done!

Shame they spent £35 million of it on Carroll. Though they did buy Suarez.
  • Options
    Agreed, but had Carroll managed to keep fit (and from what I read a lot of that was down to the young man himself) I think he could have been a huge success - even if not at Liverpool.

He had loads of potential but, sadly, failed to recognise the opportunity he had until it was too late. He was even a regular in the England side for a while.

Since he left Liverpool his injury record (that is probably not helped by his lifestyle) is 39 games in two seasons.

However, you are completely correct, £35m was an obscene sum of money for him, even then! I'm not sure how much of it was because they needed to placate the fans for selling their hero.
  • Options
    I thought Carroll was the best striker at the euros in 2012. Particularly the Italy game. He came off the bench and showed Rooney up a treat. Threatened the goal more in 20 mins than Wayne and co. managed all night. I was very surprised when Rodgers went for Lambert on the basis that he ousted Carroll because he didn't fit the plan.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I thought Carroll was the best striker at the euros in 2012. Particularly the Italy game. He came off the bench and showed Rooney up a treat. Threatened the goal more in 20 mins than Wayne and co. managed all night. I was very surprised when Rodgers went for Lambert on the basis that he ousted Carroll because he didn't fit the plan.

I agree but it was clear that Liverpool needed a little bit more brute force last season and a little less 'flair' at times. They never had a plan B which most title winning sides have. They also needed to cope with the disappearance of Suarez. As has already been mentioned Carroll had fitness issues but for £4m Lambert will give two seasons and is, by all accounts, significantly more professional when it comes to looking after his body than Carroll was/is.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

England's best or the best at the entire tournament?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Torres is the classic example of the striker on the way down, which clubs sign based on the memories of what he used to be like.
    Michael Owen similarly was very poor in the second part of his career, Shevchenko, Eto'o, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush have all faded towards the end of their careers as they lose that yard of pace and injuries take their toll
  • Options
    could be set for a return to Anfield, I still think there is a player there if the right manager can find him
    Jose never had faith in him and Torres seems to be the sort of player who needs love and to feel special then he will perform
  • Options
    Sink
  • Options
    It's very sad when a young precocious talent doesn't quite go on to attain his anticipated world beating success, it's a bit like what happened to Joe Cole or Kevin Lisbie!.

Saw Torres as a seventeen year old playing for Athletico Madrid score a superb hat-trick and totally destroy Real Majorca, and thinking there's going to be no stopping this kid.
  • Options
    He looks clapped out to me, has done since Liverpool outed him.
  • Options
    Can't see him doing well at Liverpool, they'd be better off giving Borini a run.
  • Options
    Halix said:

It's very sad when a young precocious talent doesn't quite go on to attain his anticipated world beating success, it's a bit like what happened to Joe Cole or Kevin Lisbie!.

Saw Torres as a seventeen year old playing for Athletico Madrid score a superb hat-trick and totally destroy Real Majorca, and thinking there's going to be no stopping this kid.

Are you comparing Torres to Joe Cole? This is a prime example of the media bigging up English players. When Torres was at his best he was 100x the player Joe Cole could ever dream of being.
  • Options

Can't see him doing well at Liverpool, they'd be better off giving Borini a run.

Or better still, playing with 10 men.
  • Options

Or better still, playing with 10 men.
    Borini is a scapegoat. A bit like Balotelli has been. Two very good players. Did you not see Borini at Sunderland. He might not be top 4 quality, but he is a lot better than he gets credit for.