Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff wed takeover collapses

Comments

• Options

That is gross, I won't flag it but I was very tempted,

Back to Sheff Weds.

Link?
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday: Hafiz Mammadov takeover breaks down

Azerbaijani businessman Hafiz Mammadov's proposed takeover of Championship club Sheffield Wednesday has broken down.
    The Owls announced the change of ownership had gone through on 10 June, but chairman Milan Mandaric has confirmed the deal is no longer on.
    "Our supporters were extremely excited when the takeover was announced," Mandaric told the club website.
    "Like me they believed Mammadov offered a great opportunity for the club."
    He added: "In hindsight my desire to please our supporters probably clouded my decision to grant further time for him to complete the process."
    Mammadov, founder of the Baghlan Group, also owns Azerbaijan side FC Baku and French top-flight club Lens.
    Former Portsmouth and Leicester owner Mandaric, who took over in December 2010, had been openly looking for someone to buy him out for some time, but always insisted he would only sell to someone who could invest in the team.
    "Whilst I hope that Mammadov will very quickly overcome his difficulties in Azerbaijan, I cannot allow this continued speculation to continue."
    Mandaric will now continue his three-and-a-half-year spell as Owls owner but will still be on the lookout for a potential investor.
    "The club as always will attract people who are interested in acquiring a top English football club.
    "I will explore every serious possibility and if I believe that there is someone who can accelerate our plans to return this club to the Premier League then I will do all in my power to welcome them to Sheffield."
  • Options
    The breakdown of this takeover probably forced Wednesday into selling Antonio to Forest in order to fund their new signings.

As we well know from our own experience, uncertainty is bad for any club. At least, from Wednesday's point of view, Mandaric has the means to continue funding the operation (unlike our erstwhile friend, Tone).
  • Options
    I don't mind OP , he's quite funny , i'm sure he will be crying in his stout a little tonight, don't worry OP, you'll get there in the end, they're not about to go into admin are they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats buggered their bus ride to the town hall this year!
  • Options
    Mammadov's gone and buggerdov.

Clearly not the best of days for Sheffield Wednesday - but hopefully this won't sound the death knell for them. Fingers crossed that a deal which secures their future more firmly is found. Wouldn't like to lose decent opposition through financial problems.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

"The club as always will attract people who are interested in acquiring a top massive English football club."

Fixed!
  • Options
    Feel for the Wednesday fans, to be honest. We know what it's like to be buggered about by boardroom shenanigans and I wouldn't wish that on anyone - except for our scummy and stripey neighbours of course.
  • Options
    Not like they're suffering in the pitch at the minute anyhow
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Davo55 said:

Feel for the Wednesday fans, to be honest. We know what it's like to be buggered about by boardroom shenanigans and I wouldn't wish that on anyone - except for our scummy and stripey neighbours of course.

I don't feel for any Wednesday fans who go on another teams forum and start a thread in a desperate bid at gloating.

• Options
    Are they still odds on for the Premier League this season @OperationPig?
  • Options
    Be carefull. Your not allowed to critisise or take the mick out of OP without certain people jumping to his defense.

It's bloody funny though!!
  • Options
    Is the club just too big for one owner? Surely a stock market float is on the cards.

At least they are not in danger of going under and have signed some decent players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A massive blow.
  • Options
    They're still on course to win the world cup this year
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Is the club just too big for one owner? Surely a stock market float is on the cards.

At least they are not in danger of going under and have signed some decent players.

This was the preferred options but none of the worlds major financial districts would be geared for the demand.
  • Options
    nichorob said:

Redrobo said:

This was the preferred options but none of the worlds major financial districts would be geared for the demand.
    They are so massive pehaps they could join the EEC as a country in their own right and claim subsidies to build a team capable of winning the World Cup.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

nichorob said:

Redrobo said:

They are so massive pehaps they could join the EEC as a country in their own right and claim subsidies to build a team capable of winning the World Cup.
    That's actually a fair point. They're clearly bigger than Scotland so in the very least they should be allowed a referendum on independence.
  • Options

A massive blow.

no, that was linda lovelace.
  • Options
    Has anyone checked on OP lately?

Who hid the cutlery, there's a lot of that in Sheffield allegedly?
  • Options
    I forgot that this Azeri guy owns RC Lens.

RC Lens is the subject of a transfer ban right now.

This is why they could not sign a striker so coveted that everyone from Atletico Madrid to Brentford were falling over themselves to sign him.

But the striker went on Twitter to tell the Lens fans that he promises, he will play for them one day.

And that is the story of how the cunning plan to bring Andy Delort to the Massives, a marriage made in heaven, fell apart.