Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parents smoking near children

What do you do?

Despite being quite damaging, the child can't speak up for itself, and the parents are clearly none too bright. But you're guaranteed an angry reaction. Do you say something? Do you turn a blind eye?

Comments

• Options
    Turn a blind eye.
  • Options
    Don't get me started.
  • Options
    If I knew them, and got on well with them, I'd say something. If I didn't, I wouldn't.
    Anyway, where do you draw the line? In 2011/12, according to the NHS (where do they get these figures?) 9.5% of 4 & 5-year-old kids going to school for the first time were obese.
    Do you call out every parent you see with kids in McDonald's? Or a mother buying fizzy drinks, biscuits, value burgers, frozen chips, ice cream, crisps and sweets in a supermarket?
    It seems half of all 7-year-olds do not get enough exercise (with that figure climbing to 62% for girls).
    Do you hound parents who let their kids sit in front of the TV or their computer all day?
    Kids on holiday in hot climates without sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat and tee-shirt?
    Parents who don't let their kids wander around the streets so they never learn spatial awareness, how to judge the speed of cars or measure distances properly. (God knows what standard drivers we will have in a few years time.)

Then there's this

If you blend all those stats together, it seems people with good parenting skills are in a small minority. Or is it just a few fat kids, with sunburn, no teeth, lack of exercise and emphysema?

We're all going to hell in a handcart.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, doesn't it depend on the area? For example if a kid pops into the North lower toilets at half time and is having a piss while a few blokes are having a cig that isn't going to have a detrimental effect on their health. If someone's stood outside a pub having a cigarette and there are kids around then that's not gonna have a detrimental effect on their health. If the kids are inside an room for a considerable amount of time and someone decides to light up I'd probably say, do you mind stepping outside with that while the kids are around.

It's common sense really.

Edit: Before we get into yet another debate about smoking in the toilets at football matches I was just using it as an example, we've been there.
  • Options

Well, doesn't it depend on the area? For example if a kid pops into the North lower toilets at half time and is having a piss while a few blokes are having a cig that isn't going to have a detrimental effect on their health. If someone's stood outside a pub having a cigarette and there are kids around then that's not gonna have a detrimental effect on their health. If the kids are inside an room for a considerable amount of time and someone decides to light up I'd probably say, do you mind stepping outside with that while the kids are around.

It's common sense really.

Edit: Before we get into yet another debate about smoking in the toilets at football matches I was just using it as an example, we've been there.

And your scientific and medical knowledge to say this as fact is what? Common sense has nothing to do with it, that's just assuming. There are published studies that have concluded that even a few minutes of exposure can have effects. I'm sure there are equally other studies that say something different.

• Options
    edited September 2014

I think, basically, you should mind your own fucking business

Just because you might find it objectionable, they're not your bloody kids!

I've seen plenty of people do appalling things to or with their kids, but would never dream of interfering and telling them to stop based on what my views might be

Marvellous attitude!
  • Options

I think, basically, you should mind your own fucking business

Just because you might find it objectionable, they're not your bloody kids!

I've seen plenty of people do appalling things to or with their kids, but would never dream of interfering and telling them to stop based on what my views might be

Stop sitting on the fence Leroy!! Say what you think! ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

If I knew them, and got on well with them, I'd say something. If I didn't, I wouldn't.
    Anyway, where do you draw the line? In 2011/12, according to the NHS (where do they get these figures?) 9.5% of 4 & 5-year-old kids going to school for the first time were obese.
    Do you call out every parent you see with kids in McDonald's? Or a mother buying fizzy drinks, biscuits, value burgers, frozen chips, ice cream, crisps and sweets in a supermarket?
    It seems half of all 7-year-olds do not get enough exercise (with that figure climbing to 62% for girls).
    Do you hound parents who let their kids sit in front of the TV or their computer all day?
    Kids on holiday in hot climates without sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat and tee-shirt?
    Parents who don't let their kids wander around the streets so they never learn spatial awareness, how to judge the speed of cars or measure distances properly. (God knows what standard drivers we will have in a few years time.)

Then there's this

If you blend all those stats together, it seems people with good parenting skills are in a small minority. Or is it just a few fat kids, with sunburn, no teeth, lack of exercise and emphysema?

We're all going to hell in a handcart.

Spot On. Don't like people smoking near children but 'we're' harming our children in plenty of other ways also.
  • Options
    None of your business, if were talking about taking one of your angels on a 6 hour car journey whilst blissfully choofing then I'm sure a polite word would suffice

When I was a kid I hated the smell of smoke and would do my best to not breathe it in or to get the funk out the way.

If I saw someone belting their kids in asda I would snarl at them and call them a moron. That is more damaging to a child in the medium to long term and will 99% guarantee that child becomes a devious bully

Most people whose parents smoke grow up hating the habit
  • Options

If you are a smoker you have every right to force that on your kids

And if you are a normal person that doesn't want to kill your children it's the opposite

This isn't a smoking debate it's a parenting debate

Good luck
  • Options
    my wife saw a very obese girl of about 5 at Lakeside last week (first visit - apparently nearly everyone was obese there) - she feels it is basically child abuse.
  • Options
    Women have the right to smoke when pregnant as much as they want and I have every right to judge them for it accordingly.
  • Options
    You quite like hitler though
  • Options
    I think it's disgusting, especially inside a car or a small room. The mums pushing pushchairs whilst smoking or holding the baby whilst puffing away really make my blood boil .
  • Options
    If you tell the parent there a crap parent , then expect a load of abuse back, it's obviously not right, but as others have said they are not your kids.

• Options
    Problem on this thread is that there will be smokers who are not parents who I like (algarve)

It will never end well
  • Options
    If you see a child being abused your kid or not you'd do something about it. Harming children is abuse, making children breathe in excessive smoke is harming them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'd probably do what most British people would do, give a loud 'tut' and shake my head.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

If you tell the parent there a crap parent , then expect a load of abuse back, it's obviously not right, but as others have said they are not your kids.

If you smoke near your kids, then you are a CRAP parent and a failure and not doing your best for them.

END OF.

Smoking kills. I lost my Mum 2 years ago to Lung cancer and it was an awful way to die. I saw her suffer, but she never smoked around me once as a child.

The warnings on the box are not hyperbole. They are true. Smoking caused lung cancer and that is a 100pc fact.

I am very passionate about that. These people risk the life of their own children. You wouldn't dangle your kid off beachy head so why smoke around them.

And in terms of having a word, if you smoke around your child then I think you have shown you don't care about them and the child's safety comes first. Would I have a word? Not sure. I tried calling out a chavvy little oik who I saw spitting on the road the other day and that almost ended in tears so it isn't worth the aggro but I would be tempted.

As I say a passionate response but smoking is a subject close to my heart after killing my mum. The poster who said people whose parents smoke grow up hating the habit have it spot on.
  • Options
    I hate seeing kids walking next to a parent who is smoking, I can't say anything as who am I to say anything? I understand giving up smoking is hard as it is an addiction, but if you can't give up harming yourself, surely you can give up for your child who is being harmed directly by your bad choice.

Obese kids aswell, I think it is terrible to see overweight kids walking around. Shopping on a budget means cheap and cheerful food is obviously the priority, but encouraging exercise should be paramount. I remember when I was in primary school (20 years ago) and there were only 2 very overweight kids in my whole year of about 90. Now the stat of 1 in 3 kids under 15 are overweight or obese, dreadful.

But as I said earlier, who am I to tell people how to raise a child.
  • Options
    Where do you draw a line? If a child's safety is at risk then their rights overrule those of the parents IMO.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You'll see it all in Woolwich,
    The obese mum, smoking next to the babies buggy, with a pitbull tied to it.
  • Options
    Funny this should come up. Some skanky guy came to collect an oven I had for sale 2 days ago and he had 3 kids on the back seat of his corsa and his mrs in the front smoking away. All windows and doors shut. Disgusting.
  • Options
    I put an asbestos helmet over the kids first to filter our any smoke. Also protects them from risk of a burn too.
  • Options
    My mum used to smoke around me. It wasn't right but I don't think she's 'disgusting' or was a 'crap' parent. She just had a habit that she found difficult to control.

We're all a little to quick to judge these days.
  • Options

My mum used to smoke around me. It wasn't right but I don't think she's 'disgusting' or was a 'crap' parent. She just had a habit that she found difficult to control.

We're all a little to quick to judge these days.

Fair point ca, it wasn't long ago that smoking around the house, in pubs etc was the norm.