Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That's it, I'm moving into the loft

2»

Comments

• Options
    getting my lad a starter keyboard for xmas, but really want him to learn properly
  • Options
    razil said:

getting my lad a starter keyboard for xmas, but really want him to learn properly

How old is he? A proper piano will be necessary as soon as circumstances allow imo. As for teaching - I wouldn't necessarily recommend any certain people, but make sure that he enjoys their company and that the teacher is kind but firm in terms of goals along the way (e.g. "So I want you to be able to play this hands separately by next week, and then hopefully the week after that you can play it hands together" or something, depends on the piece or stage of learning or whatever so don't take that example particularly to heart).

Ideally pick a teacher based on favourable reviews of some description though of course. I might be able to help recommend a couple, depends where you live though mate. Drop me a line here or on FB if you would like some advice!
  • Options
    proper piano not likely for at least another couple of years - speak to my wife... he's five is that too young? History of Pianists in my family (easy lads), so wondering if he has the talent too
  • Options
    Five isn't too young, I started comparatively late (almost eight). In which case you'd want a teacher with a decent track record of teaching kids that age.

Talent btw is not necessarily innate. Make sure he's exposed to lots of different styles of music (not necessarily "consciously" as it were, but have Classic FM or something on now and again or whatever) and hopefully he finds a lot of it interesting.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ok

So far Queen, ACDC, Beatles, Ed Sheran c/o my daughter, tiny bit of classical and film music (dam busters) am holding back the Chopin for now
  • Options
    But piano players never get the birds with big tits, you have to play a guitar to pull 'em! ;o)