Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Destiny Video Game - Rated - No Spoilers included.

edited September 2014 in Not Sports Related
Apologies to those that do not like computer/video games

I have decided I will do the odd game review on here as I know we have a fair amount of us on here...

I have played through the story and acquired the soft level cap of 20 already. (it really didn't take long maybe 6-7 hours over 4 days)

I found that whilst Destiny is easily the best shooter I've played since Goldeneye, the budget and hype of the game however have made it feel like it should have been bigger, longer and contained a properly developed story rather than the resulting product.

Whilst I may sound like I'm disappointed, I actually really love the game still, even with it's repetitive nature, lacklustre story and Peter Dinklage's droning voice. These few issues are truly dwarfed by the beauty of the graphics, the fun of roaming 4 worlds with your friends as you explore and the relative ease of gameplay.

I do hope the DLC will help complete or explain more of the story as that is in many players opinions missing a fair chunk of required info (The app does help fill in some of the smaller blanks).

I won't go into any more than that but my own game rating system as scored for Destiny is as below:

Graphics 9/10
Story and Character Development 5/10
Gameplay 9/10
Player Vs. Player Modes 9/10
Side or 'Strike' Missions 10/10 I love these!

42/50 or 84% which quite randomly matches IGN's Community score for the game!

To summarise
Destiny is a great game with a few real let downs, lack of variation on story mode missions coupled with a lack of real story background especially based around your character and how their personality might develop throughout the game. The Guardian's have no personality really (all classes have the same script as do all races).

The story tells you a bit but not quite enough. I wish the story was as developed as other similar shooter/RPG's like Mass Effect as that would have truly completed the game, though I understand for a MMORPG that can be a bit more difficult.

It is a solid FPS and contains some great elements and areas to roam and discover. The overall graphics, Player vs Player, Patrol and Strike modes really save the game as they are that good.

As I play more into the higher levels more info will come.

(I'm probably too old for gaming at 26! My games are usually on PS4)

Comments

• Options
    Pick up ps4 destiny bundle, extra pad tomoz, fifa pre ordered.

Held out since Jan
  • Options
    How do you people find the time????!!
  • Options
    Ive been playing Destiny too since release. Great game. The story kinda "lacks" something though, but its in co-op/multiplayer it really shines.
    Been playing with 4-5 buddies, communicating with mics. Its really great fun. Looking forward to the raid at lvl 26, released today i believe.
    As for now, I am enjoying the strikes (im only lvl 18).

I see people complaining about the lack of info and lore (Grimoire cards), but i kinda like the concept. Surfing and reading lore on my destiny app is fun, when having some available time travelling bus/train etc.

And also, the gameplay and shooting is really smooth and polished. The gun feeling is superb.

PS: Excuses for my english spelling, im Norwegian =)
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Well I manage to fit it in amongst all of the following during my week:

Going to the gym
    Visiting friends
    Spending time with the Mrs
    Walking the dog every day
    Playing football
    Following Charlton
    Doing chores
    Working full time

I just don't really watch TV much or like having nothing to do.

Though as a teen 6-7 hours of gaming would have been one sitting after football training on a Saturday or after the game on Sunday!
  • Options
    Peter Dinklage's droning voice. These few issues are truly dwarfed .

Pun intended ?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Overrated in my eyes, best shooter since goldeneye is a very big comment to make. I'd say Gears of War 1 is the best shooter ever made and Halo 1-3 are all easily better at least, down to opinion though.

Think the single player was repetitive and too short, online is a joke and a bit tedious, people slide tackling everywhere with shotguns and them abilities are too much. I'm more of a counterstrike/halo shooter player, I hate any online game that has minimal skill.

I don't think they've lived up to the hype, feels very Halo with the music, enemies and environment (expected as Bungie) and I really like the open world idea but after the first hour or so you realise it's not that great. Also I think the mechanics of the game are good, not too clunky and pretty fluid, I like all the upgrades you can get too. It's a good start if anything though, hopefully they can use it as a platform to make something bigger and better.

100% agree with you on the characters though, awful. No personality what so ever, especially when you think of other shooting gaming characters like Duke, Marcus Fenix, Master Chief etc.

I'd give it a 6-7/10. That may lower after new game hype wears down though.

Edit: Nice review btw, makes a change to see a gaming opinion on here, surprised there's not more of this stuff.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Got to agree once I've played into the higher levels and actually maxed out any progress I can make, then I'll review my ratings.

I do find the multiplayer a bit chaotic but I kind of like it (better than COD, Battlefield and Mass Effect anyway).

I'm not a fan of Gears of War, played it and it was good but I never owned it... Halo much the same each game but with improvements year on year. Borderland or Mass Effect are the best comparisons and both of them are ahead of this marginally as there is so much more personality, sense of humour and a bit more structured of a story. (Vastly improved story and character development in ME)

I have an inkling the story may be made to feel a bit more incomplete than it is... This could be to do with the DLC, which I hope to be huge (and at £34.99 it should be!)
    JWADDICK said:

Pun intended ?

Ha ha ha not at all but if only it had been!

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Got to agree once I've played into the higher levels and actually maxed out any progress I can make I'll review my ratings.

It did feel incomplete at the end of the story though which says the DLC will be huge (and at £34.99 it should be)

JWADDICK said:

Pun intended ?

See that's what bugs me though, money grabbing game companies. Why release a game not finished and do add ons for basically half the price of the game? Such a rip off and it's the kind of thing that puts people off buying it. More game companies need to look at games like League of Legends and Hearthstone etc, give people a free game that's good, allow people to unlock further stuff by playing lots/being good but IF you want to take a shortcut then add the option for people to buy stuff. Shouldn't have to fork out 40-50 quid for a game only to have to buy more stuff within a year.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks chaps. I have been a keep player of video games since I was at primary school but I don't have time to play much these days and I am always skeptical of 'professional' reviews due to the potential conflict of interest between the manufacturers and the journalists in the industry. With this in mind I tend to avoid spending money on games as my time is more precious now (or I have more demands on it) and I don't want to end up with a game that I never play so constitutes a lack of value for money. Most of the games I tend to buy for c. £40 are sold on eBay a couple of weeks later for half that.

My son (who is ten) is getting into playing these games now, and I did buy him Destiny (as a reward for the hard work he did for his eleven plus exam) and he seems rather pleased with it, all be it that I won't let him play it for more than an hour at a time.

These reviews are great - especially for those of us that are a little out of touch but have children that might want to play then, however, it would of great benefit if those of you that do them told us what platform you have and, if it's not too rude to ask, how old you are.

Great idea Dazzler, please keep the reviews coming.
  • Options
    KHA

Happy to do so mate.

I think your son will love this as at his age (the action is what matters in a game however, story will come more into it through his teens.)

There's no swearing from memory, which is different but good for kids and you're not killing humans only aliens and robots which has to be better for kids too?

I think it is a game i'd recommend for kids as there is no gore and they can play co-operatively with friends over PSN or XBL.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'm probably too old for gaming at 26!

Haha well I'm 38 and recently got back into gaming after a long time not playing (helps that I'm divorced now!).

Nice review Dazzler although I'm strictly a PC gamer now and I don't think this one's coming out for PC.

See that's what bugs me though, money grabbing game companies. Why release a game not finished and do add ons for basically half the price of the game? Such a rip off and it's the kind of thing that puts people off buying it. More game companies need to look at games like League of Legends and Hearthstone etc, give people a free game that's good, allow people to unlock further stuff by playing lots/being good but IF you want to take a shortcut then add the option for people to buy stuff. Shouldn't have to fork out 40-50 quid for a game only to have to buy more stuff within a year.

Totally agree with this ... the whole DLC thing just seems to be a way to rip people off.
  • Options

Time management Gazza

And working nights from home helps ;)

• Options
    Thanks for this, Dazzler.

I don't like the idea of online multiplayer being the core of the game, so I am debating whether or not to buy this. I couldn't handle Titanfall at all for this reason. Would you recommend trying?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Dazzler21 said:

Got to agree once I've played into the higher levels and actually maxed out any progress I can make I'll review my ratings.

It did feel incomplete at the end of the story though which says the DLC will be huge (and at £34.99 it should be)

JWADDICK said:

Pun intended ?

100% this

Have you played D C universe online? I enjoyed that until the story ran out but there is a lot of content there. Game was totally free

@Dazzler 21

Your review is very good pal. What I like is the areas you cover and the points you cite as important in an FPS game. I haven't played Destiny so will be interesting to see how your review applies when I do.

In defence of this thread, games are cool and in moderation should be seen as a normal pastime like reading books or watching TV. IMO, nothing particularly childish about games which seems to be a popular insult. I am sure I will be gaming in some form my whole life. If people think gaming is dull that is fine but it does no harm in 99.9% of people.

Man climbed down out the trees when the opposable thumb developed. The modern day
    controller linked to a full HD mind-blowing game is thumb craic.

• Options
    I have it - lowly level 5 as I just don't get the time to play. Big issue for me is having kids & full time job. Really not got value for money out of my PS4 yet because I tend to only get a bit of time here and there and need games I can dip in and out of - Destiny isn't really like that but I am enjoying just wandering about and killing stuff at the moment. It's funny when you sometimes end up in a public session with a common boss to try to kill - I enjoy that. Sadly as I don't get a regulra time to play I can't really buddy-up with anyone. I just go with whoever is around.

Cheers for the review though

PS - Agree about Gears of War. Only game I completed on the XBOX360 and thought it was superb. Not sure if Destiny will be that good but decent enough time-killer at the moment
  • Options
    Ralf Little's opinion on Twitter...
    @RalfLittle "The plot of "Destiny"; You shoot some enemies you don't know for reasons you don't understand. The end. Oh sorry, SPOILER ALERT."
    :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't like the idea of online multiplayer being the core of the game, so I am debating whether or not to buy this. I couldn't handle Titanfall at all for this reason. Would you recommend trying?

Rent it first, don't buy it if you're unsure on the online multiplayer being core of the game. You've got to like a game these days to shell out £40 odd for it!

You'll see that the online multiplayer is a bit different to most games it's got more co-op things to do (my favourite parts) than Player vs Player which gives a more enjoyable dynamic in my opinion.

The player vs player stuff is all the usual capture the flag, domination, team death match, death match kind of things. however as a level 2 you could take on a level 29 and win quite easily... depends who is the better gamer/has the faster reactions.

The majority of my story I was on my own, however I did jump into mates sessions for boss fights etc to help them out.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Ralf Little's opinion on Twitter...
    @RalfLittle "The plot of "Destiny"; You shoot some enemies you don't know for reasons you don't understand. The end. Oh sorry, SPOILER ALERT."
    :)

The App fills some of these bits of info in as you earn Grimoire cards... still lacking some bits that would help the story hugely though!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Haha well I'm 38 and recently got back into gaming after a long time not playing (helps that I'm divorced now!).

Nice review Dazzler although I'm strictly a PC gamer now and I don't think this one's coming out for PC.
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/8/6120873/Destiny-PC-version-port

Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I haven't been into game consoles since the days of the N64, but I'm astonished after all these years that Goldeneye is still seen as the pinnacle of shooter games.
    It was superb at the time, but shocking that with all the advances in technology and consoles that no publisher has managed to create an even better game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @stoneroses19‌ it's finding a FPS game as enjoyable as Goldeneye was that is the challenge.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/8/6120873/Destiny-PC-version-port

Fingers crossed!
    Thanks for that, let's hope so!

• Options

I haven't been into game consoles since the days of the N64, but I'm astonished after all these years that Goldeneye is still seen as the pinnacle of shooter games.
    It was superb at the time, but shocking that with all the advances in technology and consoles that no publisher has managed to create an even better game.

I think nostalgia has a lot to do with it. There are many games out there that are technically better than Goldeneye, Bioshock Infinite for one, but few games have the same effect on people anymore as very little is new or particularly exciting.
    I'm currently (slowly) playing gta 5, and yeah the advances in graphics and game play are great but it doesn't compare to how I felt when playing Vice City.
  • Options
    Thanks @Dazzler. I might wait for my mate to buy it and swap it for WatchDogs (which I enjoyed immensely despite it's lack of originality).

Interesting point. I don't think it's entirely the case, but I would agree that nothing has surpassed it.

Perfect Dark, and Perfect Dark Zero were better versions of Goldeneye, but not quite as charming. As much as I don't enjoy online CoD much anymore, the local four player was just as enjoyable as Goldeneye. But again, with less charm.

I guess graphics and presentation have improved, gameplay has not changed a bit!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Some brilliant bits to do past level 20, I managed to hit level 21 last night whilst listening to CAFC.
    There are some cooler bits you get to do.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm not sure if you know this but you have to be connected to xbox live/psn to play this game. There's not really a main menu or anything. You get the tower which is sort of like a main menu.You can buy items here and accept quests etc. And then you can go into orbit to go onto different planets to play the game. It's not like your average 'New Game, Load Game, Options' menu.

It is always connected to online and you will always see random people in your world while playing.

For the story mode alone I'd say it's not worth it. It's no Bioshock that's for sure. If you want a game where you can have a bit of freedom and explore though (similar to GTA) then I'd say it's worth it. The maps are huge and there's loads of areas to explore.

I'm not sure if you've played Borderlands but a lot of people I know say it's like that if you like that kind of game.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

JWADDICK said:

Pun intended ?

100% this

Have you played D C universe online? I enjoyed that until the story ran out but there is a lot of content there. Game was totally free

@Dazzler 21

Your review is very good pal. What I like is the areas you cover and the points you cite as important in an FPS game. I haven't played Destiny so will be interesting to see how your review applies when I do.

In defence of this thread, games are cool and in moderation should be seen as a normal pastime like reading books or watching TV. IMO, nothing particularly childish about games which seems to be a popular insult. I am sure I will be gaming in some form my whole life. If people think gaming is dull that is fine but it does no harm in 99.9% of people.

Man climbed down out the trees when the opposable thumb developed. The modern day
    controller linked to a full HD mind-blowing game is thumb craic.

Yeah mate I've played DC Universe, good game that is for free. Never got that far though. Don't really play my ps4 much, still play mostly my 360
  • Options
    Is anybody looking to purchase this game?
    Played once, not my cup off tea, £32 and Ill post it.
    Recorded Delivery
  • Options
    Online really winds me up, I'm only level 10 and don't stand a chance against anyone
  • Options
    Son has it and new Xboxone.

Seems tedious in the extreame with all the go here to collect armour, go there to collect weapons.

Seems it was written by the same people who train our catering staff.

But he likes it and he's the target audience not me.

Where are the games where I can shoot nazis?