Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trust Article - Club Finance: Money Strategy and Execution

By Mundell

Earlier this year I was asked to write a piece for Trust News 6 commenting on the Club’s recently released financial results (for the year ended June 2013); on what recently arrived owner Roland Duchatelet might make of them and, most importantly, on what the future might hold. We called the piece, which was written in the middle of our desperate struggle to avoid relegation to League One, “Money, Strategy and Execution”.

read more

Comments

• Options
    Any news on what happened at the AGM?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

An excellent write up of the evenings events has been on the trust website since 16th September CAFC 999.
    Written by Richard Wiseman.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

cafc999 said:

An excellent write up of the evenings events has been on the trust website since 16th September CAFC 999.
    Cheers Richard. Things like this are normally posted here too though.

ps
    was there a ballot to see who was going to be part of the board?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

Cheers Richard. Things like this are normally posted here too though.

ps
    was there a ballot to see who was going to be part of the board?
    There was just a vote / show of hands for new and existing members from those present. It's my understanding that anyone can stand to be elected onto the board though. A good evening and the write-up is pretty much a word-for-word account of the evening.

A good read Mundell. Just looking forward to seeing Frederic's brother, Francois pull on the red and white ;-).
  • Options
    Re Bulot, perhaps @Mundell Fleming‌ was just checking if anyone was paying attention?!

Cardiff, Hull, QPR and Leicester have secured promotion to the Premier league with losses far in excess of FFP £8m loss limits...now £6m. A club like CAFC might contemplate losing £10m+ if it guaranteed promotion but where's the guarantee?!
    So let's take our time, enjoy the new style of football and wait to see where the new look squad takes us. Our losses have been reducing and will be way below the limits...our budgets are not far off those of Palace, Derby and Burnley so there are chances once the basics are in place.
    We have the youngest squad in the Championship and it has goals in it but only retains 40% possession... I don't know which players would add to it but building for 2015-16 makes a lot of sense over the next two windows while other clubs lose a fortune.
    There is absolutely no point in the club stating the obvious about the premier league. Far more professional and convincing to say:
    2013-14 avoid relegation
    2014-15 top 12 is really hard but we will try
    2015-16 ???
    Personally I think M.Duchatelet, Meire and Peeters will know the club, the squad and the competition by next summer and will be in a good position to close the gap on the top six.
    Beating Boro on Saturday appears to do that but hanging onto 6th place is a big ask for CAFC right now. What is refreshing is that they are signing players on five year deals - as Katrien Meire stated, they looked at 25 players over the summer and have done enough already to return CAFC to the top half.
    And last of all I really welcome Mundell's sober analysis - no need to vilify anyone in the past nor to state that the current crowd have all the answers... To be delivered immediately!
    So far they have revamped the squad but the toughest challenge will be to grow the crowds and add to the squad and the club overall without losing talent...the first six months was the easy part! The next 12 months will determine whether we can continue to progress at the same pace?
  • Options
    I must admit it was a very good read. It would be good to know how many members turned up, etc, etc though
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

I must admit it was a very good read. It would be good to know how many members turned up, etc, etc though

I'd say about 40+ at a guess.
  • Options
    There were 36 members present which meant we were comfortably quorate. There did not need to be a competitive ballot for Board members as there were 9 nominations for 10 places on the Board. However, our rules insist that each nomination must receive an "affirmative ballot" from people attending the meeting. All those nominated were agreed unanimously. This means that we now have three new Board members. We are always on the lookout for new people to become involved - which doesn't mean they have to become Board members. People who will help on the stall; on producing & distributing Trust News; writing for our website are always welcome (we had three new writers in Trust News this time).

The formal minutes of the AGM should be up on the website shortly.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Agm report coming shortly, murray qanda was linked on here as will the former be.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of what you say Seriously Red, I still think that the FFP rules will fail and the teams with the money will more often than not be successful. Today, 15000 Man City fans have joined to take the FA to court. I think even without this rule RD will only spend what he thinks is appropriate and although frustrating he is probably right not to let this club go into deep debt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There were 36 members, but there were over 40 people at the meeting.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I agree with a lot of what you say Seriously Red, I still think that the FFP rules will fail and the teams with the money will more often than not be successful. Today, 15000 Man City fans have joined to take the FA to court. I think even without this rule RD will only spend what he thinks is appropriate and although frustrating he is probably right not to let this club go into deep debt.

Have you got a link for that, please? I have tried Googling but cannot find anything remotely matching such a story.

• Options

ross1 said:

Have you got a link for that, please? I have tried Googling but cannot find anything remotely matching such a story.

On BBC football page, on Man City page
  • Options
    Thanks @ross1‌
    On your second point just look at the aborted Sheffield Wednesday deal where they are £50m in debt or the guy who baught Fulham by taking on £200m! Clubs with stupid levels of debt are less likely to run better and be a tradeable club when the owner wants to move on. That limits the number of future owners.

On FFP the theory is great and of course clubs will and have challenged - let's see what happens in December/January. Bolton, Blackburn, Forest, Ipswich, Boro and Brighton are all borderline and if they struggle to report losses of £8m for last season then that means they need to make £2m cuts to comply this season? I sense Forest haven't bothered - no idea what they pay but they have a lot of new talent arrived over the summer.

Question is what should CAFC and other compliant clubs do about clubs who overspend? I still think the majority of owners want to reduce losses so it's not in their interests to see two promotion places going to overspending clubs every season...especially as the penalties go to charity and not shared between the compliant clubs.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

On BBC football page, on Man City page
    Thanks, got it.

I think their gesture is a pathetic tribal swipe at their neighbours but they grandly dress it up as standing up for "fans". "They" are Man City Suppporters Club (not a Trust) who claim 15,000 members, but this gesture was probably agreed on by some committee. When they say "join", that implies a class action, where they might be jointly liable for costs when this case is lost in court. Their 15,000 members will be well pleased.

Nowhere do they say what their better alternative to FFP is. They simply want the Quataris to be allowed to pour unlimited dosh into City. The idea that the lawyer responsible for the disgrace that was the Bosman ruling, acting on behalf of a Belgian football agent, cares a jot about fans, is laughably naive.
  • Options
    Who was executed? Was it one of the Slater-Jimenez appointees? Even AB might think that is going a bit too far.
  • Options
    Couldn't find a thread dedicated to FFP as such so have used this one, since Mundell is our go-to man on the subject

This interesting articleforecasts which clubs are likely to have a transfer embargo as of Jan, and briefly summarises why. Interestingly, we are in the 'hard to call' bracket.
  • Options

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to FFP as such so have used this one, since Mundell is our go-to man on the subject

This interesting articleforecasts which clubs are likely to have a transfer embargo as of Jan, and briefly summarises why. Interestingly, we are in the 'hard to call' bracket.

"Likely to need an equity injection from owner and probably OK if injection made. New owners net spenders this season."

Seems reasonable assumptions that we (or should I say Roland) is a net spender and that a cash injection via shares will cover us.

Interesting table though. Not sure about Bolton. Is existing debt a factor in FFP or just profit/loss in the relevant period?
  • Options

"Likely to need an equity injection from owner and probably OK if injection made. New owners net spenders this season."

Seems reasonable assumptions that we (or should I say Roland) is a net spender and that a cash injection via shares will cover us.

Interesting table though. Not sure about Bolton. Is existing debt a factor in FFP or just profit/loss in the relevant period?
    The website has an explainer for FFP, and it refers to "total losses" not "debt", so I assume the latter variant is the correct one
  • Options
    edited October 2014

The website has an explainer for FFP, and it refers to "total losses" not "debt", so I assume the latter variant is the correct one
    Yet it mentions "Club over £160m in debt and recent press reports that club may be sold." which doesn't seem relevant although loses of £50.6m in the previous year may suggest that they will have struggled to meet the limited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yet it mentions "Club over £160m in debt and recent press reports that club may be sold." which doesn't seem relevant although loses of £50.6m in the previous year may suggest that they will have struggled to meet the limited.
    I agree. It's a private website, not a journalist, and I guess the temptation to remind everyone of the huge debt was too great. Perhaps he's a fan of one of their rivals.
  • Options
    The Trust has a blog of sorts on FFP, and I believe Mundell is due to add to it and or the next TNT coming shortly
  • Options
    edited October 2014

All I can say is that if I'm our "go-to-man" on anything we're in a lot more trouble than I thought!!

The site you've linked to is excellent and a very good source for FFP material. However, I feel that this article, unusually, is disappointing and somewhat misleading.

To get to the most important point first, there is simply no way that Charlton will breach the FFP rules. There is absolutely no need to be concerned on this point.

The most important aspect of the rules is the overall limit on losses which for the year 2013/14 is £8m. This is the loss after the exclusion of so-called add-backs, which includes spend on infrastructure, a club's academy and some other items. David Joyes reported in the programme around twelve months ago that Charlton's add-backs in the year ended June 2013 were around £2m, allowing an overall loss of £10m.

The nuance in the rules which the article focuses on is that of this £8m allowable loss, only £3m can be funded through loans with the balance of £5m requiring equity financing.

However, in a world where a single owner is providing all of the funding directly, as is generally the case today, this distinction is much less significant than it was when banks and non bank financial institutions were providing debt finance. It is misleading, therefore, to imply that clubs will be striving to keep losses within a £3m limit in order to comply with the rules.

While there are a number of reasons why an owner may prefer to fund via loans rather than through equity, as did our previous owners, I doubt that Roland Duchatelet would be unduly concerned about providing equity finance. In reality, it's no riskier than funding through loans.

The reference to Bolton's debt mountain is superfluous. The rules say nothing about the level of debt. Only in the event that the debt was being serviced, i.e. interest was being paid, might it influence the FFP result. Where the owner has lent the money to the club this is unlikely, at least where the club is loss making.

I wrote a piece on FFP for the Trust website in June and, with the help of @seriously_red‌, produced the following guess at the outcome.

1. Clubs very likely to breach the FFP limits

Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Bournemouth, Leeds Utd, Nottingham Forest. [And QPR].

2. Clubs which may breach the FFP limits

Brighton, Ipswich Town, Middlesborough, Wolverhampton Wanderers. [And Leicester City].

3. Clubs exempt because relegated from the Premier League in previous season

Reading, Wigan.

4. Clubs in compliance with FFP

Blackpool, Birmingham City, Brentford, Charlton A, Derby Co, Huddersfield T, Millwall, Rotherham U, Sheffield W, Watford. [And Burnley].

Of those in the very likely to breach category, Bournemouth may escape as a result of the windfall they received when Southampton sold Adam Lallana to Liverpool. If forced to get off the fence on the "mays" I'd be inclined to assume that they'll comply.
  • Options
    FFP vote today. Could have a big impact on Charlton's plans.
  • Options
    So what are the changes being proposed?
  • Options
    The bigger spending clubs want to raise the limits on spending and investment

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/

"Although, crucially, it remains unclear precisely what those sanctions will be, with Football League clubs set to meet on November 6 to vote on numerous potential changes to the way FFP rules are enforced.

Many clubs are thought to favour a new set of guidelines that would fall more in line with rules implemented in the Premier League, which assess a club’s losses over a number of years, rather than just one season – although those changes may not come in to force until next summer, which could still leave Forest facing an embargo in January in the meantime.

Top flight clubs are in favour of the changes, as most believe it would be largely impossible for them to adhere to the current FFP guidelines following relegation.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottnigham-Forest-face-potential-January-transfer/story-23408267-detail/story.html#ixzz3IHRV5Mz8
    Follow us: @Nottingham_Post on Twitter | NottinghamPostOnline on Facebook
  • Options
    One day English football will grow up
  • Options
    Club Finance: Money Strategy and Execution:

We are owned by a multi-millionaire.
    We can't afford to man the ticket office on Thursday afternoons - that's all you need to know.

#youdothemaths
  • Options
    Many thanks for the links PragueAddick and Henry. The earlier article is an interesting read - most observers agree that QPR and Leicester have exceeded the limits by quite a way. They have basically bought promotion and this will obviously annoy the likes of CAFC, Watford, Ipswich and Brighton who comply and try to compete.
    But marking seven clubs as "highly likely" to receive a sanction of a transfer embargo is a tad excessive. Bournemouth might well "get out of jail" due to the sell on clause worth £6m for Lallana; Wolves wrote off a whole load of player value when they were relegated to league one - there are also some quirks with the league 1 (and league 2) FFP system which may well make them ok. Boro cut costs at the beginning of last season but their gates have been falling like a stone. And Leeds also had a big player sale after @Mundell Fleming‌ and I put together the numbers last April /May.

From a practical perspective If nine clubs fail who is enforcing sanctions? They aren't going to happen! And there will be much tension between those who play by the rules and those who don't. But if there are just two fines levied and perhaps three clubs like Forest handed player registration embargos then it is more likely to work and be enforced / change behaviour over time.

And finally anyone saying our club is hard to call hasn't done their research! Successive boards have cut player budgets and stated their commitment to FFP. The network moves a fair few players around and to have CAFC restrained from signing players (and extending contracts) for the sake of a small equity injection doesn't make sense. I don't think the CEO and head coach would be talking about acquiring quality players in January if there was any chance of an embargo.

These latest proposals are interesting and they will require a 75% majority to go through. How would a three year rolling average system doesn't really work in a division with six clubs leaving every season? Surely overspending clubs will find it even easier to buy promotion and we will be back to square one. Unless the FAPL is prepared to put a lot more solidarity money on the table I can't see too many championship clubs voting to make life easier for the likes of Cardiff and Forest.
    Perhaps rules change but not for this season so I look forward to a January window with some of our competitors excluded from adding to the squad.
    We all know that two more quality forwards might turn our draws into wins - the difference between mid-table and sixth place. And I think all the compliant clubs whose owners don't want to burn £10m + a season will look at the question from a similar perspective...why would Watford and Ipswich competing in the top ten with ourselves want richer owners to be able to lose more money?
  • Options

And finally anyone saying our club is hard to call hasn't done their research! Successive boards have cut player budgets and stated their commitment to FFP. The network moves a fair few players around and to have CAFC restrained from signing players (and extending contracts) for the sake of a small equity injection doesn't make sense. I don't think the CEO and head coach would be talking about acquiring quality players in January if there was any chance of an embargo.

This is no different, however, from saying that Charlton's owners have been unwilling to cover significant losses (although in practice the previous lot had to do so). As MF says, it makes little practical difference to RD whether any money he puts in is a loan or equity so we will be millions under the cap - what he is willing to invest within the cap is the question.