Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phobias. Any good ones?

Comments

• Options
    Mentioned this on a previous thread. But I suffer from Emetophobia which is an intense fear of being / feeling sick. It is featured on the NHS website on phobias and has been on numerous TV shows etc. I believe it is one of the most common phobias in the country.

I have had it since childhood and haven't been sick since I was about 6 years old - about 28 years. I am utterly terrified of it.

I have tried hypnotherapy and underwent CBT through Bupa which had a positive effect for a bit but is starting to wear off.

Winter is a nightmare for me with norovirus everywhere. It leads to OCD like symptoms in terms of washing my hands all the time. I can't go near anyone (including my own children) if they are ill with a stomach bug. I also don't drink alcohol (and never have) due to this.

I probably complain of feeling nauseous at least 2 or 3 times a week as I am so hypersensitive to my own body - always analysing if I think I am getting a bug. Problem is that anxiety makes you feel nauseous so it goes round in a circle.

It has a massive effect on my life.
  • Options
    More of an ocd thing but a big older fella I played football with couldn't stand any rubbish dropped on the changing room floor. As you do I was always dropping empty crisps & sweet packets all over the place and used to pee myself watching him pick them all up.

The best was during the managers pre match talk I would flick chewing gum wrappers just near his feet and then watch him twitching to pick them up but he would have to wait till the gaffer had finished. It was Fucking hilarious.

However I did end up with dead arms and legs for most of the games I played in.
  • Options
    Old people are wonderful when they have so much life, aren't they? Gives us all hope, doesn't it? My mother on the other hand is a little bit of a trial, really. You know, it's alright when they have the lifeforce but Mother - well she's got more of the deathforce really. She's a worrier. She has these, well, morbid fears they are, really. Vans is one. Rats. Doorknobs. Birds. Heights. Open spaces. Confined spaces. It's very difficult getting the space right for her really, you know. Footballs. Bicycles. Cows. And she's always on about men following her, I don't know what she thinks they're going to do to her. Vomit on her, Basil says.
  • Options
    Ex wife had a fear of buttons and I mean a proper reaction to it, made her quite ill and got worse as the years have gone on. Was quite funny in the heady days of first love and all but wound up quite tiresome and ridiculous in the end.
  • Options

Vegetarian cheese.

I have a fear of rennet.............
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Brunello said:

Dogs. Other than heights, Dogs are the only thing I'm scared of.

I also have a hatred of dog owners who say to me "Don't worry, he/she is lovely, he/she wont bite"

I used to be petrified of dogs when I was a kid. Absolutely love them now.
  • Options
    Dont have any phobias.
    Lots of things I dont like, but nothing that makes me have a panic attack.

Although I am an amnesiac bulimic.
    I binge eat, but forget to vomit.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Old people are wonderful when they have so much life, aren't they? Gives us all hope, doesn't it? My mother on the other hand is a little bit of a trial, really. You know, it's alright when they have the lifeforce but Mother - well she's got more of the deathforce really. She's a worrier. She has these, well, morbid fears they are, really. Vans is one. Rats. Doorknobs. Birds. Heights. Open spaces. Confined spaces. It's very difficult getting the space right for her really, you know. Footballs. Bicycles. Cows. And she's always on about men following her, I don't know what she thinks they're going to do to her. Vomit on her, Basil says.

Do you have it in more of a Topazy colour? ;O)
  • Options
    People in masks or dressed up. Why? Why the need ?! Can't even look at them.
  • Options
    Snakes and public speaking/quiet situations
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People in masks or dressed up. Why? Why the need ?! Can't even look at them.

You must really shit yourself when Floyd and Harvey are walking round the pitch
  • Options
    Our third kit
  • Options
    A certain player of ours has a severe scorachievemephobia
  • Options
    PL54 said:

A certain player of ours has a severe scorachievemephobia

Exacerbated by a legitimate medical condition Spongefootitis though 54...
  • Options
    Apparently Dishleprophobia is the fear of getting trapped inside a dishwasher. Fortunately I'm banned from going anywhere near it because I don't load it properly. (And women think men are stupid. Hahah!) So that's not something I've got to worry about developing.

• Options
    spiders and most things creepy crawley (you'd have to pay me a serious amount of money to attempt a bush tucker trial)

not great with dogs either
  • Options
    Mrs AUN is terrified of clowns. How she ended up marrying me is anyone's guess.
  • Options

The endless supply of flowers that just appear.
  • Options

Nah, she goes mad when I get her to sniff my daisy and I squirt her in the face ;-)
  • Options

Nah, she goes mad when I get her to sniff my daisy and I squirt her in the face ;-)
    Ok, it must be the size of your shoes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am so scared of spiders that earlier today, I realised I was bristling as I wrote the word tarantula. This morning, I freaked at a picture of a spider in a newspaper, only to calm down when I realised it was a crab. It's f*****g nonsense and I wish it would go away.
  • Options
    Snakes and crododiles for me. Fairly standard and stemming, I believe, from watching Live and Let Die a bit too close to bedtime when I was about 7.
  • Options
    Earwigs.
  • Options
    I know someone that is scared of buttons and another that is petrified of rainbows!
  • Options
    Rainbows? Are you being serious?! What the hell are they afraid of!? At least spiders are ugly.
  • Options
    Deadly serious. Iridophobia. It is a genuine (but very silly) phobia. No idea how that one even comes about.
  • Options
    I heard the phobias come about as a child when you're made aware of the possibility of the phobia. Certainly applies to me. To be a child and to be told rainbows are scary? If we're talking about Rod, Jane and Freddy then I can understand, and Bungle is a weird gay bear. But colours in the sky? Real life madness.
  • Options
    Spiders and Clowns but they are both fairly regular.

My other one is more specific, puppets that are meant to be human like, especially the Spitting Image style or the old fashioned Ventriloquist Dummies, they freak me out.
  • Options

I know someone that is scared of buttons and another that is petrified of rainbows!

Blimey another buttons freak? Maybe I was a tad harsh on the ex, especially the last fancy dress party we went to before the split, when I wore the Pearly Queen outfit?
  • Options
    Heights, heights, heights and heights.