Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cameron Rap

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014

shine166 said:

#banter and with close to a million views for some of his videos a 'proper job' isn't needed

http://youtu.be/ZiEjs7deHL4

Unless he sells the rights to them then it wont class as a proper job. Depends how clever he is.

Is there anything to suggest he is a labour supporter?
    He has loads on YouTube with millions of views so he doesn't need to "sell the rights",that's not how things work these days... as YouTube advertising will pay him a decent amount each month.

Plus he's a comedian so probably has other gigs on the side.

Trust me, I am a director at an advertising agency, thats not how it works.

If you upload a video on to youtube, and it gets loads of views, you wont get paid anything. Youtube advertising revenue goes to youtube (for skippables and pre rolls)

Unless he is hooked up to a channel (such as Channel Flip or VEVO for music videos) which pays youtube to have an element of control around its own channel.

As I say, he sells the rights and he makes money.

If you upload a video on YouTube and it gets loads of views which ads are generated against (and you are registered appropriately) then you will receive a percentage share of all ad revenue generated, irrespective of whether you are registered to a channel or MCN.

I dare say that CassetteBoy is making a lot more money than he would be if he had a 'proper' job generating similar content in a traditional TV production company.

So if you upload a video of Carl Leaburns best bits and it gets 2k views you think you will get paid?

It is a lot more complex than that. I will give the commercial head at youtube a call and check.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, it has to be your own content to start with of course. My point was that you don't have to sell the rights, you just have to own them.

I know a commercial head at YouTube extremely well (I'm married to her) so am pretty confident on this (edited as it sounded mistakenly arsey - also not sure why I even got involved in this - it really doesn't matter other than to say that production of YouTube content is a proper and well paid job for hundreds of YouTube content partners).
  • Options
    The logical way if thinking is, if he was making no money.. Why have ads on the videos ?.... Although I'm more than likely way off the mark thinking that way.
  • Options
    Wow. There's a proper amount of 'social media revenue stream generating' willy-waving on here.

My money was on DamoNorthStand - but PassItToLeaburn might have swayed me with his cheeky 'married to a YouTube bod' gambit there.

Interesting to see how it plays out - especially since the marketing twonks in my place think 'social media' involves opening a twitter account then tweeting about how great we are to an audience of none.
  • Options

Wow. There's a proper amount of 'social media revenue stream generating' willy-waving on here.

My money was on DamoNorthStand - but PassItToLeaburn might have swayed me with his cheeky 'married to a YouTube bod' gambit there.

Interesting to see how it plays out - especially since the marketing twonks in my place think 'social media' involves opening a twitter account then tweeting about how great we are to an audience of none.

Ha, as I say - not sure why I even got involved! This is usually the sort of message that I write and then think 'why?' and delete again.
  • Options
    Maybe I have just spoken to PassittoLeaburns missus?!

Jokes aside, from what I can gather, and I (like Leaburn) won't share details on a football forum - it is seriously fecking complicated. His revenue generating skills will depend on a certain amount of acumen which is a whole new conversation. He may be good at making a video but can he make money out of it.

i haven't been served an ad yet? Has anyone else?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Jokes aside, from what I can gather, and I (like Leaburn) won't share details on a football forum - it is seriously fecking complicated. His revenue generating skills will depend on a certain amount of acumen which is a whole new conversation. He may be good at making a video but can he make money out of it.

It isn't that complicated. If you are a partner, which anyone can apply to be, you receive a cut of the ad revenue on your videos. We're only talking real money when you start hitting millions of views of course, but the process certainly isn't rocket science.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Rob62 said:

It isn't that complicated. If you are a partner, which anyone can apply to be, you receive a cut of the ad revenue on your videos. We're only talking real money when you start hitting millions of views of course, but the process certainly isn't rocket science.
    exactly, there are loads of people who make a decent living from just making youtube videos every day. It may seem a crazy and "sad" profession but it can be very lucrative. If you have a daughter/younger sister ask them who Tanya Burr is. She's a youtuber and absolutely loaded thanks to her videos, IIRC she bought a flat in knightsbridge recently.

It's an exciting indication of the world's creative industries expanding.
  • Options
    Casetteboy is, in fact, a duo. They've been around for quite a few years now.