Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon get their revenge by beating the franchise from Milton Keynes

AFC Wimbledon BEAT MK Franchise at MK Franchise 3-2 in the JPT

GET IN THE DONS

Azeez scored AFC Wimbledons first

Comments

• Options
    Tottenham?
  • Options
    Well I bet all the MK dons fans are regretting the split now!
  • Options
    Bet the AFC fans are thinking if only we bothered going when we were at Selhurst and in the premier league.
  • Options
    And another...
  • Options
    Well done AFC Wimbledon, must have been a great night for their fans. Went on
  • Options
    buckshee said:

MrOneLung said:

I also noticed this week that Karl Robinson said he hopes one day all this can be forgotten about and the fans and clubs can get along. He just doesn't seem to get it does he.

He hoped they would move on now AFC had won against them Dons - like you say that's unlikely to happen!
  • Options
    If Milton Keynes just dropped the Dons from their name that might be the thing that finally gives fans a chance to move on IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont get the hatred for MK . For starters, look at their stadium now, and then think back to Plough Lane or even Kingstonians ground ? - MK has to be progress rather than that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Happy for Wimbledon with this result but it is a bit of an anti climax considering it took them three attempts, and by looking at the highlights nobody really bothered to show up for this one (ed - 4,400 attendance).

I remember the first time they played and how big a deal it was at the time. The sting seems to have gone from it now considering they've played each other 3 times in cup competition in the last year and a half in the most soulless stadium in the country.

If they meet at Wimbledon's ground it will be a whole different story.
  • Options

I dont get the hatred for MK . For starters, look at their stadium now, and then think back to Plough Lane or even Kingstonians ground ? - MK has to be progress rather than that.

Hypothetically, how would you feel should Charlton move from The Valley 67 Miles away to Milton Keynes

that is where the hatred starts from, and grows from there, keeping the name dons Is another reason
  • Options

But its not 'progress' - its replacement. However their fans and owner try and dress it up, it is not the same club as Wimbledon. All it did was take their place in the league and then try and keep a few of the old elements ("Dons" in the name) to make sure they had some fans come along when they first started.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Happy for Wimbledon with this result but it is a bit of an anti climax considering it took them three attempts, and by looking at the highlights nobody really bothered to show up for this one (ed - 4,400 attendance).

I remember the first time they played and how big a deal it was at the time. The sting seems to have gone from it now considering they've played each other 3 times in cup competition in the last year and a half in the most soulless stadium in the country.

Be interested to know how many AFC fans were in that crowd. I'm sure it meant a lot to them having bothered to go. Personally i wouldn't patronise anything to do with franchise football but point is it matters to those involved and we can only comment as bystanders as to what it means to those there or more closely connected. I have been in smaller crowds for Charlton games at the Valley. No less passion involved, perhaps more actually as you can feel you have a bigger stake in your club.
  • Options
    Same fans of the older variety might remember that Charlton DID explore moving the club to Milton Keynes in the 70's - i think it was in the Gliksten era.
  • Options
    And no, i still dont get the hatred. !
  • Options

Same fans of the older variety might remember that Charlton DID explore moving the club to Milton Keynes in the 70's - i think it was in the Gliksten era.

Exploring an option is one thing...

Moving lock, stock & barrel is another.

• Options
    I used to go Selhurst - was shit, but better than having Charlton fold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

Be interested to know how many AFC fans were in that crowd. I'm sure it meant a lot to them having bothered to go. Personally i wouldn't patronise anything to do with franchise football but point is it matters to those involved and we can only comment as bystanders as to what it means to those there or more closely connected. I have been in smaller crowds for Charlton games at the Valley. No less passion involved, perhaps more actually as you can feel you have a bigger stake in your club.
    OK, so the attendance when they first met was 16,500 (for a televised game in December 2012) - around four times the size of what it was last night.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Would you have still done so if Charlton moved to MK though?
  • Options
    Can't really say, but I know that thanks to the effort of our fans (some of whom post on here) we fought for our club and got back home.

And that was not during the fashionable premier league days of football either
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Don't agree with franchise style moves but it's not MK Dons fault (or their fans) - the FA let it happen. Either way it was quite a while ago and it hasn't opened the floodgates for other moves of this nature. Rather it seems to me that the value of a football club to its local community is better recognised in 2014 than when this all took place.
  • Options

Unfair to compare the two grounds - different era's! Everyone had a 'dump' of varying standards back then and most clubs have shiney new grounds now.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

OK, so the attendance when they first met was 16,500 (for a televised game in December 2012) - around four times the size of what it was last night.

It doesn't make it any less meaningful to those there though does it. Less of them of course the will to beat them wouldn't be any less among those there.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

MrOneLung said:

Would you have still done so if Charlton moved to MK though?
    That's a no from me and I travelled to Surrey every regarded home game. Always had a feeling we would get back to out rightful place which is what kept me going. Also, would have been too young to get an 89 bus to MK.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

It doesn't make it any less meaningful to those there though does it. Less of them of course the will to beat them wouldn't be any less among those there.
    Not to those there, no. But to the majority who really cared 2 years ago, they've clearly found ways of moving on from the initial importance of the first match between the two. Like I said before, the 'sting' isn't as prominent.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Not to those there, no. But to the majority who really cared 2 years ago, they've clearly found ways of moving on from the initial importance of the first match between the two. Like I said before, the 'sting' isn't as prominent.
    Am pretty sure that first game was a weekend, and last night was not
    so people would not want to travel 60 miles for a Tuesday night game

and one was FA Cup and the other JPT