Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football and Premier League Chiefs at it AGAIN....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29532996

I'm personally against it and I know many others will. Personally I think it will still happen one day.

Discuss....

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    the hardest thing and what most people will object to is going to be sorting out whose home game it will use

if it was me I would be really pissed if I had paid for a 19 game Season Ticket and could only go to 18 because they moved one abroad.

I would also like to point out I am completely against this idea
  • Options
    The Premier league and FA are like the European Commission.

Sod the interests and wishes of the people and do what we like and feather our own nests regardless of public opinion.
  • Options
    Doubt any true football fan other then the well off who will possibly see it as a reason for a holiday will be supportive of this idea, if it happens it is one of those things that pushes your love for Football to breaking point.

Simply depressing IMO.
  • Options
    Will never happen, fan bases will protest this and it'll be dropped eventually.

The reason will be that it can never be claimed to be equal.

Who is to say which game? What if that is an away game/home game? Would that not be unfair on the home team, losing home fans advantage? What are the implications financially? Would you want to play a weaker opponent (who you might get points off) or a stronger opponent (who may make you look bad) and what are the criteria for deciding?
  • Options
    As most have said, until they specify how the games are chosen then they should stop banging on about this idea.
  • Options
    The criteria is if the big clubs want it then it will happen.
  • Options
    Unfortunately it will happen. All sports are becoming Global. NFL, NBA in London, Baseball in Tokyo - there is too much money for premier league teams not to push for this. I suspect it will be the first game of the season or before an international break.

5m to play in Asia, that's the wages of a Top prem player paid for!
  • Options
    I'm sure they'd be queuing round the block in Asia for Stoke v Newcastle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why can't they just have a completely separate "Premier League Cup" and play that abroad?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I'm sure they'd be queuing round the block in Asia for Stoke v Newcastle.

The traditional large clubs inc Newcastle, Spurs, Villa, Everton plus the top 4 will get huge crowds obviously the fact it's a perm fixture will do that anyway
  • Options
    In would not be adverse to the idea of the FA Cup semi's being played abroad, but the league is ill thought out.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    On the subject of FA incompetence, excellent article on community football left with no support/funding.
  • Options

Part of staying in the Premier League is to try and make sure you pick up as many points at home. What if Burnley needed an extra point to stay up but one of their home games was played in Seattle.

Shocking idea. If people are that interested in watching a Premier League game then buy a TV subscription or fly to England.

This, more this and even more this.

Absolutely ridiculous idea. Its a pain in the arse going to North London for football, let alone go further afield.
    Having said that, I can see Daniel Levy being all over it, where there's money to be made and all that.
  • Options
    From a business point of view, I'm sure it's a great idea. From a supporters point of view (by supporter I mean "UK season ticket holder", not Japanese Sky Subscriber) it's an absolute disgrace. Became clear long ago that the feelings of traditional supporters don't matter a jot to the selection of greedy fat bastards in charge of our game.

Nothing we can do to stop it - the only meaningful protest is to give them empty stadiums to broadcast to their global audience, and that won't happen because for every supporter that's ready to protest there's 5 Prawn Sandwich Eaters on the waiting list with a bottomless wallet and no interest in tradition.
  • Options
    why not go the whole hog and have the 'home' team in one country and the 'away' team in another country and they play each other (best of 11) at Fifa 15 online.
  • Options

Unless they take every Palace match abroad to get that god awful club out of the country then it's a no from me ...

Dear Premier League board of directors,

I strongly suggest that all Crystal Palarse's remaining home games be played here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu

Many thanks,

Everyone else in football.
    Bit harsh to force Palace on Timbuktu isnt it... Against their Human Rights to have to put up with Palace!!
  • Options
    why not cut the PL to 18 teams (34 games) and have a tournament in Asia in May, the winner of which gets a free champ league ticket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genuinely despise everything about the Premier League these days. Its becoming a parody of itself in so many ways.
  • Options
    I don't have an issue with it to be honest, it's not something new that football is different and about money these days. It has worked amazingly for the NFL and clearly football is more of a worldwide game. There are fans on here from all around the world let alone what its like for the bigger teams in the Premiership. If a game in the States/Australia/India/China picks up interest in the sport then it is a good thing for the sport.
  • Options
    It's almost nothing to do with home based fans. Would I want to pay huge sums to travel abroad to see my team participate in a marketing exercise? Don't think so. If it doesn't do any harm I wouldn't get excited if it brought in more money for the club.
  • Options
    That's the thing. There are no fans in modern football.....only customers.
  • Options
    Maybe the clubs will fund the travel and hotel expenses for the fans?

Sorry I must go and have a lie down.
  • Options
    Football is all about the fans. Rich ones in another country
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't agree with the argument about growing the game, as im pretty sure most of the places the games will end up being played will have a local football/soccer team already, so it just further takes away their chances of getting a decent crowd.
  • Options

I don't have an issue with it to be honest, it's not something new that football is different and about money these days. It has worked amazingly for the NFL and clearly football is more of a worldwide game. There are fans on here from all around the world let alone what its like for the bigger teams in the Premiership. If a game in the States/Australia/India/China picks up interest in the sport then it is a good thing for the sport.

So we get up to Premier League and they announce our home game against Palace or Man Utd is taking place in Cairo, then you would be ok with that?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Unless they take every Palace match abroad to get that god awful club out of the country then it's a no from me ...

Dear Premier League board of directors,

I strongly suggest that all Crystal Palarse's remaining home games be played here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu

Many thanks,

Everyone else in football.
    Bit harsh to force Palace on Timbuktu isnt it... Against their Human Rights to have to put up with Palace!!
    Point taken. AND they may play a lot better in a more salubrious environment, scratch that, they won't be in the Prem long hopefully...
  • Options
    I've nothing to add here that above posters haven't already said.

On a side note, that picture on the BBC page. I'd be buggered if I'd pay anything to sit at the back of that stadium.............