Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football and Premier League Chiefs at it AGAIN....

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    How anyone can think it's a good idea is beyond me, but perfectly illustrates why we get taken for a ride in this country. I can just imagine the Germans reaction.

I wonder what year I will give up on football (probably just end up at non league more often) but I fear it will be much sooner than I imagined 10 or so years ago.

At least I'll be a lot richer.
  • Options
    I don't see how they can use the argument of Man Utd vs Real Madrid in pre season in USA attracting 110,000 fans meaning it will work.

They're the 2 biggest clubs in the world ffs!
  • Options
    Let a club that wants to, play its home games wherever it wants to, whenever the away team agrees. what's the problem? I imagine when we get to the Prem we'd choose to play in Belgium. I might even go the first time....

As the away team we'd object to plying Man U in Asia but would be happy to play say Stoke somewhere nice like Rome,( or see the stag do thread for other choices....)

Am I misunderstanding the point of all this??
  • Options

As the away team we'd object to playing Man U in Asia but would be happy to play say Stoke somewhere nice like Rome,( or see the stag do thread for other choices....)

Really can't see any of the games being played in Europe, especially Italy, where they already have a strong league of their own. Most likely to be the US, Asia, the middle east, Australia (maybe) and maybe even the odd game on the African continent.................
  • Options
    Wales woundn't be to bad, as long as it was a Saturday.
  • Options
    Now the FA want England to play all of their home matches from 2018 at different venues around England.

A good idea you might say, and I agree. But it is so the NFL will have a franchise in England and play their games at Wembley.

How can a team that plays in an American league play all of their games in a different country?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29546374
  • Options
    Given that the vast majority of foreign fans 'support' the big teams (usually Man U), it'd just mean an extra home game for them.

It may work for the NFL but then they allow the bottom teams to pick the top talent the following season to keep it fresh and therefore foreign support will be more evenly distributed. The Premier League is only interested in preserving and strengthening the existing hierarchy.

• Options
    Ross said:

Now the FA want England to play all of their home matches from 2018 at different venues around England.

A good idea you might say, and I agree. But it is so the NFL will have a franchise in England and play their games at Wembley.

How can a team that plays in an American league play all of their games in a different country?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29546374

My understanding was IF the NFL have a team here, the money from that will allow the england football team to play some games elsewhere.

So they are are able to move because of the NFL coming , they are not moving to enable NFL to come.
  • Options

Let a club that wants to, play its home games wherever it wants to, whenever the away team agrees. what's the problem?

These are my thoughts too. As is so often the case with Football's leadership the FA Premier League appear to be confused about what, exactly, they are trying to accomplish here. Or if not confused, then divided.

For his own part, the odious Richard Scudamore seems to be concerned only by TV deals. His ill-conceived 39th game proposal was designed simply to market the PL in as many countries as possible. The promotional hype and interest created in each country was what mattered to him rather than the narrow commercial benefits accruing to each individual Club.

That proposal was dead on arrival because FIFA objected, for once understandably and justifiably for fear it would stunt the growth of the domestic game in the countries "invaded", while it was obvious to anybody with any empathy with the traditions of the English leagues that the "randomness" of that 39th game could fundamentally undermine the integrity of the competition. Well done Richard.

The position of the individual clubs is somewhat different. If playing abroad is such a great idea, why don't Manchester United, for example, lobby the Premier League to play one home game a season in Boston or Shanghai? Surely, the League would say, "Fine, on the condition that your opponents agree, you pay them reasonable expenses and a compensation of, say £100,000." If that conversation hasn't happened its because Manchester United aren't convinced it's a good idea. If it had happened we'd know about it.

There in lies Scudamore's problem. He's a CEO in name only. His muddle-headed grand plan is one the individual clubs would appear only to be interested in if everybody is in it together. In Manchester United's case, for example, its on the proviso that they get an "easy" extra game they'd expect to win - let's not forget that the creative genius that is Richard Scudamore proposed seeding for this final game. However, I don't think FIFA will ever sanction a regular, wholesale invasion of domestic football programmes by the "big boys" from the Premier League.

Comparisons with the NFL are interesting, but not terribly relevant. As I understand it, the decision to play at Wembley is for individual franchises. They get the one-off revenues from a sell out at a Stadium with a capacity of 90,000 with ticket prices, before hospitality, of up to £149. More generally, the objective is to increase interest in NFL in Europe where there are no established Leagues with, potentially, the intention of establishing a franchise in London at some stage. Oh, and there's no downside because teams can't get relegated. The structure of sport in Europe is fundamentally different to that in the US.

Anyway, too long-winded as ever. The key point is that this will only happen if individual clubs choose to go it alone. They'll surrender home advantage and risk alienating their own fans if they do so. Knock yourself out, I say.

• Options
    I think that clubs would prefer to do it as pre-season friendlies or mini tournaments like the Emirates clubs, as they already do. That way, the two clubs split to proceeds after costs. I would imagine the Premier League plan is that the FAPL get a cut of the profit, too.

My query regarding a separate competition "Premier League Cup" at least removes the issue of teams losing a home game in the league and all games would be played on neutral ground. They did do something similar to this in Asia, pre-season a couple of years back, The Premier League Asia Trophy with Man City beating Sunderland, Spurs and South Chima. Wikipedia shows that this is played every 2 years. I don't see why they don't extend this (other than the fact Man United and Arsenal would rather play their own games)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why can't they just have a completely separate "Premier League Cup" and play that abroad?

Ah, but it would have to be a "Liverpool-Man Utd-Arsenal-Chelsea-Man City" cup, because that's all the foreign "fans" are actually really interested in...
  • Options

Why can't they just have a completely separate "Premier League Cup" and play that abroad?

Ah, but it would have to be a "Liverpool-Man Utd-Arsenal-Chelsea-Man City" cup, because that's all the foreign "fans" are actually really interested in...
    Quite true - only about 6-8 clubs would come close to selling out.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I've nothing to add here that above posters haven't already said.

On a side note, that picture on the BBC page. I'd be buggered if I'd pay anything to sit at the back of that stadium.............

No different to the away section at St James' Park.

• Options
    They will be playing the community shield abroad within five years I'd have thought. Italians and I think the French already do.
  • Options
    General scummy big club view point.

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29572414

Italian football but im sure many of the people who run our game here have similar views behind closed doors.
  • Options
    I've just read that and got wound up. Tip to AC Milan's chairman - Don't finish 8th next time, and then you might get in.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I've just read that and got wound up. Tip to AC Milan's chairman - Don't finish 8th next time, and then you might get in.

The sad thing is, if they and clubs like Man Utd do miss out over the next few seasons, UEFA will attempt to actually implement some system to get them back in im sure.
  • Options
    Why don't they just scrap the football altogether, see who has the biggest mailing list and largest bank account and just award them the European cup?
  • Options
    They will say that all past winners will automatically qualify.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

They will say that all past winners will automatically qualify.

Great news for Nottingham Forest