Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Names on the back of replica Jersies or no??

American Addick buying my first kit. Iv'e heard that getting a squad members name and number or your name on the back of your shirt might be looked at as weird, just looking for some opinions on what would be the best way to go. I'd rather not look like an Ignorant American when I finally get over there for a match.

Comments

• Options
    It's a very popular thing to get a name and number on the back of your replica shirt. I don't know where you got the idea that's frowned upon from. Commonly, people will pick their favourite player and take their name/number, or you can choose something completely customised to go with a printed surname or nickname, favourite number or year you were born. Whatever you want really, you're only limited by your imagination (and common decency).
  • Options

It's a very popular thing to get a name and number on the back of your replica shirt. I don't know where you got the idea that's frowned upon from. Commonly, people will pick their favourite player and take their name/number, or you can choose something completely customised to go with a printed surname or nickname, favourite number or year you were born. Whatever you want really, you're only limited by your imagination (and common decency).

Perhaps frowned upon is the wrong word, but different podcasts have said that people might think its a bit weird. saying that if you arent on the team, then dont have a name or number on the back. I dont know it sounds like shit to me. just wanted to know what people think. Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It's a complex question.

If you want to be a proper lad, or are planning on hanging out with a bunch of pre-existing lads, then it is best to ask your lad contact first. He will know the rules of your specific group. If you show up wearing something unacceptable to the groups rules, you'll earn yourself a witty nickname that won't ever leave you: Maybe "Shirty", or "Name-shirt." If you can't contact the lad, then arrive at the game with a jacket over your shirt (Stone Island recommended), which you can remove or leave on as you size up the situation.

Or are you planning on hanging out with geezers? These are lads in their mature form: Eventually, they have grown up and become tired of the uniformed lifestyle. And since they've had kids they've had to swap their Levis for Matalan and loose-fitting clothes from the Next sale. You are more likely to get away with a printed shirt, but if you're still worried, you can't go wrong with the above advice.

If you're attending the match with a family, that makes you a 'scarfer', which basically means that you can get the name printed on your shirt without too much worry, but it's all about accessorising. You could carry off the printed shirt name with a wrap-around CAFC flag, a bobble hat and some fetching red CAFC gloves. But most definitely don't forget the scarf - with frilly white bits on the end and both CAFC and away team printed on it.

The only thing you have to consider here is names like Jackson and Solly may be too obvious. It's more acceptable if you have a skilled if underrated player - but be aware that in the current championship climate, players often come and go, and once the player on your shirt transfers out - you're going to look like a right numpty. Also avoid players who do stepovers, as other fans will stop you, asking: "why are you wearing the shirt of that no-end-product showpony."

Or are you going with a super-scarfer? These are people who like to strike up conversations with strangers in pubs because they want someone else to hear their theory on why we shouldn't have let Alan Curbishley go. In this case, lose the accessories mentioned above - too many items makes it difficult to squeeze through busy pubs looking for unsuspecting victims. You'll also lose the choice of what name you'll have printed on your shirt, as super-scarfers generally only wear vintage kits from pre-premiership days. For extra points, find yourself a shirt with a Charlton legend on the back: Leaburn, Rufus or Robinson. Note that none of these players did stepovers.

Hope this helps.

Ignore everything I said. This is all you need.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It's a complex question.

If you want to be a proper lad, or are planning on hanging out with a bunch of pre-existing lads, then it is best to ask your lad contact first. He will know the rules of your specific group. If you show up wearing something unacceptable to the groups rules, you'll earn yourself a witty nickname that won't ever leave you: Maybe "Shirty", or "Name-shirt." If you can't contact the lad, then arrive at the game with a jacket over your shirt (Stone Island recommended), which you can remove or leave on as you size up the situation.

Or are you planning on hanging out with geezers? These are lads in their mature form: Eventually, they have grown up and become tired of the uniformed lifestyle. And since they've had kids they've had to swap their Levis for Matalan and loose-fitting clothes from the Next sale. You are more likely to get away with a printed shirt, but if you're still worried, you can't go wrong with the above advice.

If you're attending the match with a family, that makes you a 'scarfer', which basically means that you can get the name printed on your shirt without too much worry, but it's all about accessorising. You could carry off the printed shirt name with a wrap-around CAFC flag, a bobble hat and some fetching red CAFC gloves. But most definitely don't forget the scarf - with frilly white bits on the end and both CAFC and away team printed on it.

The only thing you have to consider here is names like Jackson and Solly may be too obvious. It's more acceptable if you have a skilled if underrated player - but be aware that in the current championship climate, players often come and go, and once the player on your shirt transfers out - you're going to look like a right numpty. Also avoid players who do stepovers, as other fans will stop you, asking: "why are you wearing the shirt of that no-end-product showpony."

Or are you going with a super-scarfer? These are people who like to strike up conversations with strangers in pubs because they want someone else to hear their theory on why we shouldn't have let Alan Curbishley go. In this case, lose the accessories mentioned above - too many items makes it difficult to squeeze through busy pubs looking for unsuspecting victims. You'll also lose the choice of what name you'll have printed on your shirt, as super-scarfers generally only wear vintage kits from pre-premiership days. For extra points, find yourself a shirt with a Charlton legend on the back: Leaburn, Rufus or Robinson. Note that none of these players did stepovers.

Hope this helps.

Comedy genius
  • Options
    Do what you want to do and don't worry about what other people say.
  • Options
    I think a key question is, how old are you Rossman? From your user name I'm guessing 22, which might place you at about 6 years too old for names and numbers - unless you do it very well.

P.S. Lots of people are lolling Chunes' answer, I think thats because hes' got it so right it has become like a good piece of observational comedy. Nail on head stuff.
  • Options
    Without disparaging our american cousin, it is more common in America for fans to wear a players name and number. You only have to look at the biggest shirt sales of american football players. Johnny football's shirt was one of the biggest sellers despite being a rookie (and not playing).
  • Options
    Don't forget a towel in case your seat is wet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

Don't forget a towel in case your seat is wet.

Nah, travel light mate and migrate to the back or better still the dearer seats at the back in the middle of the stand, we're a friendly lot and you'll be well received. :-0
  • Options
    Go Team Charlton on shirts has been popular this season.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

American Addick buying my first kit. Iv'e heard that getting a squad members name and number or your name on the back of your shirt might be looked at as weird, just looking for some opinions on what would be the best way to go. I'd rather not look like an Ignorant American when I finally get over there for a match.

Are you over the age of 15? Then no.
  • Options
    I bought one and had my favourite player's name put on it.

I won't tell you his name because it will only cause some people on here to "go into one" (especially those that like to attend mass) but, suffice to say, before I'd even got to the ground I found myself arrested for impersonating a footballer.
  • Options

Without disparaging our american cousin, it is more common in America for fans to wear a players name and number. You only have to look at the biggest shirt sales of american football players. Johnny football's shirt was one of the biggest sellers despite being a rookie (and not playing).

Partly because they sell pre-printed shirts of the most popular players or e.g. "fan 12" out there as standard - less clicks/hassle in the store trying to make sure they get Tucudean correct.

One piece of advice I've heard mentioned that makes sense to me is no names of anyone younger than you.
  • Options
    Couple of years ago I was in Boston with work and went to the New England Patriots (NFL)/New England Revolution (MLS) stadium. I collect football shirts whenever I go abroad so thought I would stop by.

As mentioned above, pretty much all replica shirts have names on the back in the States. Not being too familiar with US "soccer" at the time, I decided to just pick any random name. So I came out the store with "Fagundez". Did a bit of research on who he was when I came home...Yep, he had just turned 16 years old.

Always do your research.
  • Options
    how about do what you want and sod anyone else who judges you for whether you wear the wrong type of thing or not (exception that proves this rule is full kit wankers)
  • Options
    The best one I saw was on my mates aunt who used to run The Strawberry pub in Newcastle..... The number was 69 and the name SLAPPA.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

It's only weird if you don't wear the full kit. If you get the shirt, shorts, socks and shinpads you'll blend in.
  • Options
    I didn't realise the Valley played host to a fashion show every other weekend... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Partly because they sell pre-printed shirts of the most popular players or e.g. "fan 12" out there as standard - less clicks/hassle in the store trying to make sure they get Tucudean correct.

One piece of advice I've heard mentioned that makes sense to me is no names of anyone younger than you.
    Bloody hell - that cut's out Powell, Peeters and I think even Curbs for me! :-)
  • Options
    I'm 17 for those that are wondering. The 92 in my username is just a favorite number of mine
  • Options
    I'm 17 for those that are wondering. The 92 in my username is just a favorite number of mine

Rossman92 said:

I'm 17
  • Options
    How old are you?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Couple of years ago I was in Boston with work and went to the New England Patriots (NFL)/New England Revolution (MLS) stadium. I collect football shirts whenever I go abroad so thought I would stop by.

As mentioned above, pretty much all replica shirts have names on the back in the States. Not being too familiar with US "soccer" at the time, I decided to just pick any random name. So I came out the store with "Fagundez". Did a bit of research on who he was when I came home...Yep, he had just turned 16 years old.

Always do your research.

I visited the Nou Camp a few years back and wanted to get a replica shirt. Did I pick Xavi, Iniesta or Messi? Nah I thought I'd try to be clever and got Bojan....
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

THIS
  • Options
    No.6
    Beast.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

How old are you?

• Options
    Yeah here in the states it's rare to see a replica without a name on the back. With all of the player transactions that happen, odds are the name on your shirt won't be with the same team in five years, only god knows how much money we have wasted because once they are gone, the shirt goes too
  • Options
    Other then what Chunes said, which really made my day, just wear what you like but on a personal level i always thought names on shirts was a little silly considering how many seasons the average player sticks around but that is not an issue if you plan to buy a new shirt every season or two.

The only player i ever got named on my shirt was Powell on my one and only England shirt when i was a kid.