Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Greenwich River Crossing

Proposed new crossing (tunnel) under consultation until Christmas is proposed to provide a crossing from Greenwich peninsular to The Royal Docks Silvertown.

At a cost of £750 million will be paid for by putting a toll on the existing Blackwall Tunnels as well as on the new tunnel after completion.

Great idea to have a new crossing, it's much needed but what pisses me off is the fact that every river crossing East of Tower Bridge will be tolled. Why should East / South East Londoners be charged to cross the river yet everything west of Tower Bridge is free ?

I realise I can cross for free up river and should West Londoners use the tunnels or Dartford Bridge they pay the tolls but it seems that it will be predominantly Londoners in the Boroughs East of Tower Bridge that are going to pay the lions share.

Comments

• Options
    What would be the planned completion date be
  • Options
    So they are changing the tolls at Dartford to ease congestion and adding them at Blackwall instead. Magic
  • Options

Why should East / South East Londoners be charged to cross the river yet everything west of Tower Bridge is free ?

the river is getting bigger as it heads east

• Options
    Rotherhithe is free.

£750 million? Yeah right! And the rest.....
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

What would be the planned completion date be

At the rate we get things done in this country 2114...
  • Options

Proposed new crossing (tunnel) under consultation until Christmas is proposed to provide a crossing from Greenwich peninsular to The Royal Docks Silvertown.

At a cost of £750 million will be paid for by putting a toll on the existing Blackwall Tunnels as well as on the new tunnel after completion.

Great idea to have a new crossing, it's much needed but what pisses me off is the fact that every river crossing East of Tower Bridge will be tolled. Why should East / South East Londoners be charged to cross the river yet everything west of Tower Bridge is free ?

I realise I can cross for free up river and should West Londoners use the tunnels or Dartford Bridge they pay the tolls but it seems that it will be predominantly Londoners in the Boroughs East of Tower Bridge that are going to pay the lions share.

Tolls at Blackwall!!!!

Save your money mate. Reckon you could drive up to kew bridge and be back over the other side quicker than that little mess.

• Options
    Need to build this and the proposed crossing at Galleons Reach really, and the second ferry terminal at Woolwich too. Come to think of it, a bridge over the top of the Thames Barrier wouldn't go amiss either
  • Options
    Salad said:

Why should East / South East Londoners be charged to cross the river yet everything west of Tower Bridge is free ?

And ?

• Options
    Might be abit quicker if go Harwich to Hook of Holland :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or Rotherhithe.
  • Options

Salad said:

And ?

and so it is trickier & more expensive to build a crossing, which is why there is only one traffic crossing east of the Blackwall Tunnel (by the way I am not in favour of a toll there)

• Options
    A bridge on top of the Barrier would be great - could walk to The Valley from London City Airport then!
  • Options
    A bridge on top of the Barrier would be great - could walk to The Valley from London City Airport then!
  • Options
    Salad said:

Salad said:

And ?

and so it is trickier & more expensive to build a crossing, which is why there is only one traffic crossing east of the Blackwall Tunnel (by the way I am not in favour of a toll there)

Well I realise that but my point is why should East / South East Londonders be the ones to shoulder the biggest burden of paying to move around their city.

• Options
    Those idiots at TfL, have they ever considered the impact on the Woolwich free ferry?!!! Can't imagine the tailbacks thereabouts on both sides of the river!
  • Options

Those idiots at TfL, have they ever considered the impact on the Woolwich free ferry?!!! Can't imagine the tailbacks thereabouts on both sides of the river!

I think one of the options was to shelve the ferry if a new permanent crossing was built. I had a leaflet through the door some months back from TFL out-lining the options, possible costs and the pros and cons.
  • Options

I think one of the options was to shelve the ferry if a new permanent crossing was built. I had a leaflet through the door some months back from TFL out-lining the options, possible costs and the pros and cons.
    I think Silent meant the impact when the tolls go on the Blackwall crossing, not once the new crossing is built.
  • Options
    You should not have to pay to cross the river in your home town. Humber bridge tolls played havoc with the local economies up there. Unlike Dartford, hardly anyone other than locals ever needs to use the Humber Bridge. To be honest, and with due respect to LincsAddick Hull is not exactly on the way to anywhere else. You'd need a good reason to be in the vicinity.

As to Blackwall, why create capacity and then add to congestion by tolling?
  • Options

I think Silent meant the impact when the tolls go on the Blackwall crossing, not once the new crossing is built.
    Knowing TFL they'll make that a chargeable service as well, with the promise that all the tolls will be lifted when the new crossing has paid for itself....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You should not have to pay to cross the river in your home town. Humber bridge tolls played havoc with the local economies up there. Unlike Dartford, hardly anyone other than locals ever needs to use the Humber Bridge. To be honest, and with due respect to LincsAddick Hull is not exactly on the way to anywhere else. You'd need a good reason to be in the vicinity.

As to Blackwall, why create capacity and then add to congestion by tolling?

Won't be toll booths though will it. Number plate technology only by then I rekon.

• Options
    Ha! By the time this is built who will be using cars at all? Good point. Anyway I will be pushing up daisies so what do I care?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Ha! By the time this is built who will be using cars at all? Good point. Anyway I will be pushing up daisies so what do I care?

What if the cemetery is across the river ?

• Options
    Then he'll be pushing up water lilies.
  • Options
    Why put it so close to another crossin???
  • Options
    IMO a better solution would be a bridge from gallions reach to Thamesmead, most the of the infrastructure is all ready in place.
  • Options
    TFL want to have four new crossings eventually.
  • Options
    I "contributed" to the consultation process for the new tunnel.

Just had this email:

Dear Stakeholder

You may recall that between October and November 2015, you replied to our consultation on plans to build the Silvertown Tunnel, to link the Greenwich Peninsula with the Royal Docks. I am writing with an update on the project.

Last week Transport for London’s Board gave approval for us to submit a Development Consent Order to the Secretary of State for Transport for powers to implement the Silvertown Tunnel scheme. Our application will include a Consultation Report, which will set out our response to all of the issues raised in our recent consultation. We received more than 4,000 responses to the consultation and these are continuing to help inform our final plans.

We plan to submit an application for powers to implement the Silvertown Tunnel scheme in the spring 2016, and we will contact you again at this time once we are in a position to publish our Consultation Report.

If our application is accepted by the Secretary of State, there will be a public examination on the scheme managed by the Planning Inspectorate. In that case, you will have an opportunity to make written representations and take part in hearings as part of the examination. We will explain how you can take part in the examination when we write again, later this spring.

In the meantime, if you have any questions please let us know or see our website tfl.gov.uk/silvertown-tunnel.

So it looks like it's probably going ahead.
  • Options
    Tolls at Blackwall?! It would be quicker and easier to swim the river then buy a new car on the other side!