Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Greenwich River Crossing

2»

Comments

• Options
    Missed It said:

Tolls at Blackwall?! It would be quicker and easier to swim the river then buy a new car on the other side!

I cant see a toll being imposed as there would then be no free way of travelling from Kent towards Essex and the North other than by driving around the M25 via Heathrow.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Missed It said:

Tolls at Blackwall?! It would be quicker and easier to swim the river then buy a new car on the other side!

I cant see a toll being imposed as there would then be no free way of travelling from Kent towards Essex and the North other than by driving around the M25 via Heathrow.
    If it goes ahead, it's tolled. They can't afford the £1bn cost without it - and they say it'll control traffic flows. And I know TfL are worried about whether they can afford it.

The Silvertown Tunnel is a disastrous idea - local road network on both sides won't be able to cope. Historically, new roads have been proven to generate new traffic (look at the M25). The tolls aren't that much (£3 in peaks, £1 outside). That morning jam will return pretty quickly, not least because Silvertown will emerge at traffic lights on the north side. And the evening one going south will just get worse. In 2014, TfL's modelling showed traffic on the A102 would go up by a third.

It's being rushed through because of the mayoral election, so it's signed off before Boris gets his P45. The next mayor can cancel it and hopefully will. Greenwich and Bexley are about the only boroughs enthusiastically backing it, which is your usual indicator that it stinks. More reasons here: http://www.silvertowntunnel.co.uk/

You've got other tunnels/bridges planned for Gallions Reach and Belvedere - https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/rivercrossings/east-of-silvertown (first one won't work unless you take huge measures to restrict traffic around Plumstead, IMHO) - and the Lower Thames Crossing around Gravesend: https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.com/cip/lower-thames-crossing-consultation

• Options
    why not just upgrade the Emirates cable cars ?
  • Options
    Anything Boris "decides" now is almost irrelevant as he won't be the person in charge when the money has to be spent.

Isn't the main problem that what's needed is the Thames Gateway Bridge, feeding off the end of the North Circular to Thamesmead, but there's no way of acceptably connecting it to the A2. That would give a real alternative to the Blackwall tunnel

The Lower Thames Crossing near Gravesend if a DfT issue rather than a London one
  • Options
    What a ludicrous idea by boris. Next he will want to do a cycle super highway along the A40. Oh wait a minute !! This fella is a baffoon.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

What a ludicrous idea by boris. Next he will want to do a cycle super highway along the A40. Oh wait a minute !! This fella is a baffoon.

But I bet he's a right laugh down the pub