Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Concept of Queuing

I don't travel by bus very much but today had cause to catch a bus from North Greenwich tube station to leafy Shooters Hill. When I arrived at the bus stop there were about eight people already there waiting for either my bus or two other options. It was not an orderly gathering. By the time my bus arrived the number of people was about 30 and it was just an absolute scrum and I mean people just barging through. At least 15 got on before me and I was well placed. By the way. Not a school kid in sight.

I don't remember this ever a problem growing up and in fact a queue was often a place for people to show courtesy.

What on earth has gone wrong with the British orderly queue ?

If rationing ever comes back I'll starve.

Comments

• Options
    Agree entirely. Escalators are also a big issue, most queue but then some people cut in from the side. I always mug people who do that off and they're almost always embarrassed.
  • Options
    It's the end of our tradition of being able to queue since joining Europe. It will be in Herr Farage's manifesto next year.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    British queue has been infiltrated by immigration, and our kids follow the teaching of the new ones. Which is Fuck all of you, I only care about me !

Last year I had to get on a bus outside Woolwich Arsenal station, there were about 12 people in the queue. When the bus arrived 3 times that number attacked the door en mass to get on ! Never seen anything like it !
  • Options

I don't travel by bus very much but today had cause to catch a bus from North Greenwich tube station to leafy Shooters Hill. When I arrived at the bus stop there were about eight people already there waiting for either my bus or two other options. It was not an orderly gathering. By the time my bus arrived the number of people was about 30 and it was just an absolute scrum and I mean people just barging through. At least 15 got on before me and I was well placed. By the way. Not a school kid in sight.

I don't remember this ever a problem growing up and in fact a queue was often a place for people to show courtesy.

What on earth has gone wrong with the British orderly queue ?

If rationing ever comes back I'll starve.

Talked to the wife about it just this week walking through General Gordon Square. We agreed that they are now bus mobs, not queues. Really quite horrible.
  • Options
    Also the the use of "Please" and "Thankyou" seems to be on the way out as is holding a door open for someone and offering someone else a seat on the bus or train/tube,etc.
  • Options
    If I had had a magnum I don't think I could have been held responsible for my actions.
  • Options
    I fully expect Farage to legalise the flame throwing of foreigners at bus stops in the next parliament and that's not just because I am mad...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If I had had a magnum I don't think I could have been held responsible for my actions.

If I had had one I would have eaten it before it melted.
    I'll line em up Len and you knock em in ;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find getting the tube is starting to change.
    Always let people off first before stepping on. Now it seems get on as fast as possible no matter who is in front, mother with kid, old lady with shopping, whoever, shove em aside cos you are after a seat. I have noticed it is foreign women who are the worst culprits for this.
  • Options
    I get on at Woolwich now... If you can't beat em (within reason). It's Everyman for themselves.

I suggest you get off at Blackheath next time and bus up. I queued outside the station a few months back. A real orderly queue. Lovely and tidy.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I get on at Woolwich now... If you can't beat em (within reason). It's Everyman for themselves.

I suggest you get off at Blackheath next time and bus up. I queued outside the station a few months back. A real orderly queue. Lovely and tidy.

Ahhh. Blackheath.

• Options
    Before I read the thread I guessed it may have been about North Greenwich. It's every human for themselves there.
  • Options
    Due to the train driver picking at random what part of an 8-carriage long platform his 2-carriage long train is going to stop at every morning, there is never a guaranteed good spot to stand to get on the train first and get a seat. Generally speaking, at least a few people who board at my stop have to stand but most people get a seat.

And there's this tart who is there every morning and whilst everyone else manages to queue semi-orderly, she always decides it is more important that she gets a seat and somehow always worms her way to the front even if she was nowhere near the door when the train stopped.

I find the scrum approach most irritating when I'm getting off the train and no one wants to get out of the way and risk not getting a seat so I often have to shoulder barge whoever is standing directly in front of the door because he or she is too thick to realise that is the worst place to stand when the doors open and there are people waiting to get off.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I find the scrum approach most irritating when I'm getting off the train and no one wants to get out of the way and risk not getting a seat so I often have to shoulder barge whoever is standing directly in front of the door because he or she is too thick to realise that is the worst place to stand when the doors open and there are people waiting to get off.

Big issue for me - I hate the ignorance of ignorant people barging onto a tube carriage before people have got off.

I have found that shouting "rude prick" at the top of your voice gets the point across.
  • Options
    The bus stops at North Greenwich are particularly bad for people pushing in.

Weird behaviour from the cretins pushing, as this this occurs even when there's way more seats on the bus than people in the queue.

I have noted there's a narrow demographic which is particularly keen on barging their through a queue to get onto a bus; in most cases I can correctly predict who the pushers and shovers will be when the bus turns up.
  • Options
    another essentially British tradition bites the dust and did so long ago .. I was very nearly stabbed in Beckenham way back when after pulling a young man for queue jumping, yes, he actually pulled a knife and then thought better of it, thank the lord
    .. around here in Grimsby, even in the roughest part of town people are pretty meticulous and polite when it comes to queuing and other social niceties ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been using the bus quite a bit of late...... Well being a freedom pass old git it seems a shame not to? In fact down at N Greenwich again today and people were very polite, no hassel at all. But then it was 2.30, so perhaps no rush hour madness. Sad to hear people's bad experiences.
  • Options
    Was at Woolwich last night trying to get on the 99 and thought the same to be honest.

What's even stranger with that place (Dont know if @Curb_It‌ has seen it too) yet when your waiting round the bus stops it feels really quiet with about 10 people standing around then when a bus turns round everyone seems to materialise out of the ground and your having to fight your way through 50 people all trying to get on the same bus
  • Options
    One of my favourite subjects.
    As a non driver I use the bus 4/5 times a day mainly the 161/244/472.
    Woolwich is the place for the full queing experience especially the 244 to Thamesmead. With risk of raising the ire of the race police you can tell the nationalities by their behaviour.

SHG, have you encountered the chickens graveyard on the upper deck?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

One of my favourite subjects.
    As a non driver I use the bus 4/5 times a day mainly the 161/244/472.
    Woolwich is the place for the full queing experience especially the 244 to Thamesmead. With risk of raising the ire of the race police you can tell the nationalities by their behaviour.

SHG, have you encountered the chickens graveyard on the upper deck?

I was too traumatised to think of going up the stairs.

• Options
    We still queue in an orderly fashion up north.
  • Options

We still queue in an orderly fashion up north.

10,000 to a bath...shocking!
  • Options
    Keep 'em coming fellas :-) I'll keep it flowing by throwing this one in '.......yeah, at the job centre'.
  • Options

Been using the bus quite a bit of late...... Well being a freedom pass old git it seems a shame not to? In fact down at N Greenwich again today and people were very polite, no hassel at all. But then it was 2.30, so perhaps no rush hour madness. Sad to hear people's bad experiences.

we are all very polite at n. greenwich ken.

sorry i didn't get to talk to today. bit of a mad day. i'll email you in next few days. am getting a lot of interest shown in museum project (and maybe a little bit of money!)