Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Concept of Queuing

Comments

• Options

Keep 'em coming fellas :-) I'll keep it flowing by throwing this one in '.......yeah, at the job centre'.

I thought we had privatised the job centres and called them something else
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Keep 'em coming fellas :-) I'll keep it flowing by throwing this one in '.......yeah, at the job centre'.

I thought we had privatised the job centres and called them something else

I have no idea tbh, I've fortunately never had to set foot in one but if you recall the scene from 'the Full Monty', that is where I'll rest my case for the civilised north.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Fiiish said:

I find the scrum approach most irritating when I'm getting off the train and no one wants to get out of the way and risk not getting a seat so I often have to shoulder barge whoever is standing directly in front of the door because he or she is too thick to realise that is the worst place to stand when the doors open and there are people waiting to get off.

Big issue for me - I hate the ignorance of ignorant people barging onto a tube carriage before people have got off.

I have found that shouting "rude prick" at the top of your voice gets the point across.
    I go for the Larry David inspired "you wait...YOU WAIT."
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Agree entirely. Escalators are also a big issue, most queue but then some people cut in from the side. I always mug people who do that off and they're almost always embarrassed.

Mandatory action here is to gob on their back, or in most cases, their rucksack, on the way down.
  • Options

British queue has been infiltrated by immigration, and our kids follow the teaching of the new ones. Which is Fuck all of you, I only care about me !

Last year I had to get on a bus outside Woolwich Arsenal station, there were about 12 people in the queue. When the bus arrived 3 times that number attacked the door en mass to get on ! Never seen anything like it !

Not sure I agree fully with this. I remember Bexleyheath Broadway in the early 90's used to be a mad free for all scrum to get on the bus especially after school.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

British queue has been infiltrated by immigration, and our kids follow the teaching of the new ones. Which is Fuck all of you, I only care about me !

Last year I had to get on a bus outside Woolwich Arsenal station, there were about 12 people in the queue. When the bus arrived 3 times that number attacked the door en mass to get on ! Never seen anything like it !

Not sure I agree fully with this. I remember Bexleyheath Broadway in the early 90's used to be a mad free for all scrum to get on the bus especially after school.
    Bloody immigrants coming over to Greenwich North pushing onto our buses. Get back to Bexleyheath where you come from.
  • Options
    I think is was Mark Twain who coined the phrase "The British form an orderly queue of one".
  • Options
    trying getting on a ryan air or easy jet flight from naples
  • Options
    Approached the back entrance to Guildford station last week and there are two ticket machines and a manned ticket office. There were six people in a queue and one person being served at the ticket office. I joined the shorter queue for the ticket office only to be yelled at by a lady ordering me to join the back of the queue. I apologised profusely for my ignorance of the Guildford commuters laws on orderly queueing which require a single queue for machines and ticket office and did as I was ordered. The queuing laws are being upheld with zeal in the leafy Surrey suburbs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worst for me is congestion at a motorway junction turn-off. There will be a constant stream of chancers who overtake the patient slip-lane queue on the inside lane then barge in just before the turn off. Often braking sharply, without indicating, or both. Downright dangerous.
  • Options
    What is happening to our CL - we're supposed to be about trains!
    Bus wankers the lot of ya.
  • Options
    It's the "cost of living crisis" - we can't afford the trains any more :-)
  • Options
    If you think queuing at a bus stop at North Greenwich is bad, you should try queuing for a Ski lift in one of the French or Italian alpine resorts. They push, shove, gesticulate and try to trip you up with ski poles just to get the lift as if their lives depended on it.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

If you think queuing at a bus stop at North Greenwich is bad, you should try queuing for a Ski lift in one of the French or Italian alpine resorts. They push, shove, gesticulate and try to trip you up with ski poles just to get the lift as if their lives depended on it.

Funnily enough not a lot of us, do the annual ski week, you need the Arsenal or Chelsea forum. Trains and buses here,
  • Options

We still queue in an orderly fashion up north.

Usually waiting for Gregg's to open
  • Options
    If you want to see queuing done properly fly into Hong Kong. By the time you're down to a couple of hundred feet half the plane have got out of their seats, collected their hand luggage and are jostling for position by the exits.
  • Options

If you want to see queuing done properly fly into Hong Kong. By the time you're down to a couple of hundred feet half the plane have got out of their seats, collected their hand luggage and are jostling for position by the exits.

Ah, Hong Kong. Everyone is in a hurry. When someone in Hong Kong gets to a lift, they press the 'call lift' button over and over again until it arrives, and then as soon as they get in they start jabbing at the close doors button no matter how many people are trying to get in after them.
  • Options
    Let's go the full hog and install the CAFC ticket office rails at every bus stop outside a station, problem sorted...
  • Options
    SC what you describe in HK is at least as bad in Pakistan and China
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    singaporeans will queue for hours for anything free and I mean anything. Near my office they are often giving away free samples and the locals will queue for their whole lunchtime just to get it.
  • Options

singaporeans will queue for hours for anything free and I mean anything. Near my office they are often giving away free samples and the locals will queue for their whole lunchtime just to get it.

Similar in Woolwich, the only orderly queue is for free turkeys at Christmas.
  • Options

SC what you describe in HK is at least as bad in Pakistan and China

And Mumbai in India. You have to have sharp elbows especially if you're a woman, otherwise you'll get pushed aside. They don't give a f***.
  • Options
    Mumbai's great. I once managed to get off a plane with about 100 people behind me and they had all pushed past me before I cleared customs. Indians are definitely a sharp elbowed lot.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2014
    The place in the whole of London where I have seen people queue for buses over the last 20 years is outside Waterloo station in the morning in the rush hour, going North. Not queuing for a bus is fine, it is jumping in when people are getting in on the bus that's the issue. In most other areas of British life queuing is still normal.
  • Options

Mumbai's great. I once managed to get off a plane with about 100 people behind me and they had all pushed past me before I cleared customs. Indians are definitely a sharp elbowed lot.

What is satisfying is when they all rush off in front of you, you stroll round to baggage reclaim and your luggage comes off first.
  • Options
    What makes people behave in this way though ? Are they just rude and lacking in courtesy or are we peculiar in the UK in thinking that politeness and taking your turn is important
  • Options
    Depends if you've be taught manners by your parents when growing up.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Depends if you've be taught manners by your parents when growing up.

But is it peculiarly British ?

• Options
    Not sure, someone said earlier that they queue in Singapore, maybe different nationalities have different ways.