Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Notice periods

edited October 2014 in Not Sports Related
I've tried to persist with my job for as long as I can take it however I've really had enough now. as it is really affecting my health, I've decided to quit.

The problem I have is this - I called in sick today and told my manager that I was in no fit state to work, and that I was suffering with stress (which is the truth) and I was looking to see my doctor today (to get signed off work). Unfortunately, I can't get an appointment until next Monday. Luckily I have this Thursday and Friday already booked off so tomorrow is the issue.

What do you advise that I do? Do I call in sick again tomorrow, wait until Monday when I get signed off and hand in my notice at the same time?

The only reason I ask is because I have been in this situation before and I would really appreciate your help.

Comments

• Are you trying to go sick or trying to hand your notice in ? Aren't they different things and can't they be done at the same time ?
  • edited October 2014
    Call in sick with stress. Go to your GP on Monday and get them to sign you off for a month, with work related stress.

Dependent on your job terms & conditions and how long you get sick pay for, you can continue this on a monthly basis.

If you get 6 months full pay, then 6 months half pay, the financial opportunity to keep earning is available, whilst you look elsewhere for employment. If you're signed off, you're signed off.

The downside is would an employer be looking to take someone on, who has been off ill for a long time with stress ?

It's a judgement call by you.

A friend of mine did this for 6 months.
  • A friend of mine was off sick for months before he handed his notice in so it can be done.

I handed mine in this morning. I'm not sick though.
  • As Henry says you need to honestly address the root cause of the stress before making any rash decisions.

I am speaking from experience albeit many years ago now.
  • Thank you for your replies. It is much appreciated as I have never encountered this situation before and I am in a right mess at the moment (mentally and stressfully wise and its all due to work).

For 6 months I have felt stressed at work due to a lack support and training by my colleagues. I have raised the issue with my manager twice however nothing has been done to help me about it. It all came to a halt last week and yesterday was the worst I have ever felt at work. I felt sick and I haven't eaten or slept since then.

My notice period is six weeks and there is no way I am going back there. From reading the responses on here the best thing to do would be to get signed off work for a month and at the same time hand in my notice,
  • L Block said:

Thank you for your replies. It is much appreciated as I have never encountered this situation before and I am in a right mess at the moment (mentally and stressfully wise and its all due to work).

For 6 months I have felt stressed at work due to a lack support and training by my colleagues. I have raised the issue with my manager twice however nothing has been done to help me about it. It all came to a halt last week and yesterday was the worst I have ever felt at work. I felt sick and I haven't eaten or slept since then.

My notice period is six weeks and there is no way I am going back there. From reading the responses on here the best thing to do would be to get signed off work for a month and at the same time hand in my notice,

No shame in being sick and no need to link the two issues irretrievably at this stage either.
  • L Block said:

Thank you for your replies. It is much appreciated as I have never encountered this situation before and I am in a right mess at the moment (mentally and stressfully wise and its all due to work).

That is stress. Do not make it worse by going in tomorrow. Wait until Monday and get a note from the doctor. Until then relax and try and take your mind off it.
  • edited October 2014
    Dont hand your notice in yet. You Dont need to. Get signed off then take time to get your thoughts straight. You could also ask the doctor to see someone for help with the stress. They can you refer you for that these days in most places. Key is not to bring added pressure on yourself when you dont need to. Going sick just buys you some time.
    Good luck. Horrible situation but most of us have been there if that's any consolation
  • Sponsored links:

• Sound advice from everyone above.
    I'd echo their advice 100%
  • Firstly, sorry you are having a hard time L Block. Can appreciate how these things can build. Unless something specific happened in your last day there that you have not mentioned, then evaluate that no situation is ever completely irretrievable.

See you doctor, get signed off, but more importantly get 'next steps' advice. Don't just sit at home for x long either hoping the issue will go away or ignore it, actively set about whatever advice they offer. In a week or two, dealing with the work situation may view a little different. Most things can be overcome.

As HI insinuates, don't just automatically think the opt-out will improve things. There is a good chance it might not.

Good luck
  • Good point at the end there @swords_alive.

@L Block - It's important to know you're not alone - this is more regular than most people think.
  • Dont hand your notice in yet. You Dont need to. Get signed off then take time to get your thoughts straight. You could also ask the doctor to see someone for help with the stress. They can you refer you for that these days in most places. Key is not to bring added pressure on yourself when you dont need to. Going sick just buys you some time.

Agree with this and what Covered End has said.

Don't rush into a hasty decision
  • Not in a position to offer any advice as I've worked for myself for so long.

Just to wish you all the very best now, and in the future.
  • Your employer has a legal duty to have policies to handle work related stress. Would be a lot better if the job problem is sorted.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/stress/furtheradvice/legalresponsibility.htm
  • Was in the same situation 8 years ago and as others have said, don’t hand your notice in yet.

Call in sick again tomorrow, even if you just want to say you have a stomach bug and then go see the doctor on Monday. Get signed off for a month (I was off 3 months in the end) and look into how you can solve your stress problems.

Even coming on here to talk about it, all helps in the long run

• As HI insinuates,

Wrong word. Implies/suggests/hints maybe but insinuates has a different meaning.

Why can't you flag moderators blah blah wibble.
  • Sorry to hear of your struggles L block.

Obviously if you have found you can no longer tolerate your work place as it is effecting your health, then it is the right thing to do to look elsewhere.

Just out of interest, have you (or was it possible) to go over your managers head for help with your issues?
  • All good comments above. I work for a company that run programmes for HR Directors, there is now a massive focus on health & wellbeing in the workplace. Stress is a huge part of that, and most companies have had to make noticeable differences in how they help tackle this (in theory anyway). I would do as others say by getting signed off by the doctor, recoup, recover etc. Try and take practical advice and get to the root etc.

I've been doing the same thing for 8 years now. Outbound telesales. I'm pretty brain dead and clock watch for a large part of the day. I spend far too much time on this site;-) I know it needs to change but I don't know what I want to do.....

Don't let the bastards grind you down is what I'm saying:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Take the sick route to assess first L Block.

I have been lucky, I handed my notice in this morning, I took the job 1 month ago, but its not what it said on the tin, it has been massively stressful, seriously a pain for many reasons. But my old employer called me and offered my old job back there on a permanent basis (its a great place to work), and I have only had to give 1 weeks notice (due to probation deal on the contract) which means I dont have to worry about this place. However my boss here has asked me to give more notice!! Which is not going to happen, they dont get it do they!!

So, as others have said, hold on in there, get a few weeks off sick, dont make rash decisions, write down a plan of action (seriously), ie what is stressing you, what can be done to negate the stress (if anything), maybe change your career, apply for as many jobs as you can etc etc, when YOU are happy follow the plan. It will help.

Good luck.
  • My strong (union rep) advice before you do anything drastic, either this week or in 6 weeks time or whenever, is read up on your company sickness absence policy, or whatever they call it, if you can. Failing that, sidle up to whoever does HR-type stuff where you work and try to find out how these things are generally handled if you don't know already.

Different organisations may have different provisions and though there is a lot of very sound advice above, it's always best that you know what your employers' policies are when it comes to sickness absence. Whilst some can be reasonably understanding, others (particularly in the private sector, but not exclusively) can be real bar stewards if you make the slightest step out of what the policy states and they can make things very awkward, particularly when it comes to providing 'factual' references for your next job.

For example, if your sickness absence goes over the firm's trigger points in the given period, some companies will start sickness absence procedures, irrespective of the reasons. They could then, if asked by a future potential employer whether you have ever had any disciplinary/absence procedures started against you, say that there have been. Suddenly that job you thought you were nailed on for suddenly slips out of your grasp to someone with a 'clean' record.

I know it sounds extreme, but it does happen.
  • l Block

lots of wise advice above ...be interested to know how long you have been with your employer and whether you have mentioned to them if the job makes you stressed in anyway and if so what steps they have taken ? The 6 week notice period suggests that you have accrued length of service and your employers will have some duty of care towards you

for the time being your default position should be sick leave .I wouldnt advise you to resign whilst unwell best to make decisions like that when you feel in more control . Hope you feel better soon ..

• As HI insinuates,

Wrong word. Implies/suggests/hints maybe but insinuates has a different meaning.

Are you insinuating that moderators are above the law, Henry?
  • bobmunro said:

As HI insinuates,

You may infer that but no.

I'm saying that grammar school education was wasted on AFKA : - )
  • bobmunro said:

As HI insinuates,

You may infer that but no.

I'm saying that grammar school education was wasted on AFKA : - )
    I couldn't begin to understand your assertion - being a poor, meagre Woolwich Poly boy :-)
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for all your kind words and advice. Once again this place comes up trumps when you need help.

It is very difficult to go in to detail with my situation as there are a couple of Charlton boys & girls who work at my company and may come on this site, so I need to be careful what I say.

In short I have worked there for 6 1/2 years. I moved departments in May due to the previous department I worked on being relocated (I was cherry picked by my current team to stay as they heard good things about me).

I work on a small team of 5 people (including 1 part timer), and everything was going fine for the first month. Since August we have taken ridiculous amounts of extra work and judging by the stats we need a team of 12 to function effectively. The worst part is we were not trained on anything we took AND STILL HAVENT. I turned around to the two people I sit with who have 40 years experience between them in this field of work, and even they said they struggle and don't know what to do. Also the fact we are so busy means I can't even ask for help either.

On two occasion I have raised the issue with my manager that Im struggling and need help, but nothing changed.

To make matters worse, a member of the team was sacked last week for poor performance even though she asked for help on numerous occasions. It came to light yesterday by her close friend that she was actually being bullied by a couple of senior members of staff.

ive been in a number of jobs in the past which I hated, but I stayed until I found a new one because I KNEW how to carry out the job. This situation is totally different. I've never quit a job in my life but when I'm asking for help and support so I can carry out my job and I'm not receiving it.....well that is why I'm so stressed. I've lived in hope over the last 2 / 3 months that things would Improve, but inf fact they've gotten worse.

Sorry for the essay but sometimes it's good to get it off your chest ; )
  • L Block said:

Sorry for the essay but sometimes it's good to get it off your chest ; )

I felt so much better once I spoke to the doctor. The hardest part was acknowledging the problem and then working it through with the people that mattered - healthcare professionals and my wife (who was a rock). I even had a tough chat with my Dad.

I definitely wouldn't recommend taking a course of action just to make some money out of it - I just think you need to address the health matter. Whilst off work I spent much of the first fortnight bricking it about "What are they thinking of me" or "What are they saying about me" but - in reality - they were wrapped up in their own lives and within a few days I was old news. I will admit it took me 4-6 weeks before I was even close to being in a position to return to work.

Mental health is a strange thing and everyone is different - so speak to a doctor, don't try to take the piss with your employer and see how it pans out.

As an aside - it sounds like your colleague has a case for constructive dismissal. She should speak to Citizens Advice

Good luck - and if you need anything just PM me

• A few disconnected thoughts -

First off, no job is worth sacrificing your long term health for.

As others have said, my gut feeling is not to hand your notice in just quite yet. See how you feel once you've seen the doctor - s/he will probably sign you off for a week or two - use that as breathing space.

Is there any possibility of your organisation seeking redundancies any time soon? This would look less bad on a CV than a resignation / being dismissed on health grounds.

The other question (which you need to ask yourself but I really don't expect you to answer on here) is what will you do if you do leave? In terms of finances.

Broadly speaking, if you resign from a job, you aren't eligible for job seekers' allowance (in some circumstances you may be entitled to a 'hardship payment' which is like the dole only even less. At one time they would tell you this, these days I think the job centre staff are expected not to)

I'm not quite sure where you'd stand in this respect if you claimed 'employment support allowance' (the benefit you claim if you're too sick to work) if you resign. And the assessments for ESA are not exactly helpful either.

I'm inclined to think the best long term answer would be to concentrate your efforts on finding another job. This is easier said than done at the moment in any circumstances, and as others have said, some employers (despite equalities legislation) are reluctant to take on someone with past health problems, and anything 'mental health' related will frighten some potential employers.

Hope things get better for you soon.