Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's not luck is it ?

edited October 2014 in General Charlton
We have one of the smallest & weakest squads in this division. Many think Millwall will struggle to stay up (me included) and yet they appear to be spending more than us (not necessarily wisely). Quite frankly, we should probably be lower mid table at best.

We only have ONE very good experienced striker in Vetokele. Tucudean & 17 year old Ahearne-Grant wouldn't rank in Norwich's first 4/5 strikers for example.

The midfield has been overrun for years and still is.

Our defence is superb, marshalled by the outstanding Bikey & Ben Haim, who are ably assisted by Solly and Henderson.

Wilson had a good game last night & Wiggins & Gomez have been average at best. That is, comparing Gomez, to the vastly more experienced centre halves & Solly. He's doing very well, all things considered.

Peeters has the team playing to their strengths, which is obviously how it should be. You wouldn't want your team playing to their weaknesses.

He's got us playing in the Chelsea style of 2 banks of 4. Keep your shape and you don't get caught out like Bolton did for our 2nd goal.

Keep your shape and give the opposition, little room to manoeuvre. They can't get through you, so they have to either get round the full backs or shoot from distance. The opposition have had some success getting behind Wiggins, but little success getting behind Solly.

Yes we have conceded, let's say 5 goals from zonal marking, but when you consider the amount of corners we concede, then I think in all honesty, we would probably have conceded more by man marking.

Anyway, the point is, IT IS NOT LUCK, that we have been beaten only once in the league, from thirteen games.

It is because we have an excellent plan, that the players have stuck to week in week out.

I for one, thought it was a great win last night, to hold on for 30+ mins, with a weakened team, clearly not at their best.

We have a manager and team who are playing to their optimum and long may that continue.

I think nearly everyone can see this, but for the few that can't, please have a re think.

I give you :-

"Prediction :- 0-3 with our first shot after 75 mins."

So we win and then we get :-

"Yes, we won
Yes, its 3 more points
Yes, we were missing 3 of our best players.

BUT

If you think that game was entertaining then think again. I've never seen a team ride their luck game after game. Absolutely abysmal that a home side can have 1 corner to the opponents 16 & just 2 shots on target all night. We didn't have a meaningful attack after we scored our second goal - that's 39 mins +6mins injury time of sitting deep and defending. SHOCKING.

I cant wait for Friday - we will get laughed out of town if we put in a performance like that. Now we all know why Sky don't like showing us. They have a reputation to keep up & don't want thousands of viewers ringing up to complain that they have just violated the Trade Descriptions Act."

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Some of those around me in the North Upper are gonna burst into real tears when we're actually losing at home

...or not, in fact - they only have one mode and it is constant, regardless of match situation: it is the externalisation of a life's frustration that no football club could ease. I say empathise and ignore ;)
  • Options
    Covered End you make a good point about getting around us wide or having to shoot from distance. One of the strengths Fulham have is shooting from distance! I hope we are alert to that.
  • Options
    Rope-a-Dope football - getting it done.

Opposition teams have had numerous corners, free kicks, chances, dominated possession, but haven't been good enough to capitalise. Overrated Championship Strikers have missed chance after chance. Henderson - Bikey - Ben Haim have been outstanding as a solid defensive base. Long May it continue. 11 points clear of the relegation zone and pulling away.
  • Options
    The league table doesn't lie.
  • Options
    Basically...our victories and positive results, in my opinion, is just mostly based on really good management.

Dont think we have that much quality in the squad in comparison to other teams in this league and like I say, no major advantage over other teams in terms of natural ability anyway, If none at all.

Where lightweight in the middle of the park...The addition of Buyerns helped a little, but not really.

We prepare ourselves well against better bigger and stronger opposition and it has 9/10, worked everythime this season.

We will certainly find out how "Lucky we are" after 46 games...

• Options

It's lie's more than you think, the biggest whopper was millwall being top at the end of nov, and being relegated in May. Can't remember the year but know we did the double over them that year. (90's ?)

Another Lie was Blackpool being top at the end of october last season, and just staying up by the odd point.

The only time it's tells the truth, the whole truth is after 46 games in the championship.

The rest of the time it's just an indicator of the ebb and flow of a game of chance. (not in the prem; Money rules)

Totally ephemeral and transient until that large lady knocks out the aria as the last ball is kicked.

• Options

There was a fella sitting just in front of me who was screaming from the point we concede. The abuse he was giving Cousins was so unreasonable and at one stage I thought his head was going to explode he went so red. When the final whistle went he shouted at Cousins again to get up!!!

I give up reading the negativity that fans write about after 3 points against a team that on paper should be challenging for play offs come the end of the season.

Last night I thought we were brilliant. Perhaps not in the quality of our attacking but in the defending and work rate from all 11 on the pitch. To see Cousins and a couple of others just drop to the floor as the full time whistle sounded was a reflection of that.

You "thought we were brilliant" .................wow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's lie's more than you think, the biggest whopper was millwall being top at the end of nov, and being relegated in May. Can't remember the year but know we did the double over them that year. (90's ?)

Another Lie was Blackpool being top at the end of october last season, and just staying up by the odd point.

The only time it's tells the truth, the whole truth is after 46 games in the championship.

The rest of the time it's just an indicator of the ebb and flow of a game of chance. (not in the prem; Money rules)

Totally ephemeral and transient until that large lady knocks out the aria as the last ball is kicked.

those things happened but they are the exception. Sir Lennie used to say, in his portentous voice "by October, the die is cast". It's reasonable to assume that unless we strengthen we will inevitably drift lower, but provided Igor stays fit we are going to be well clear of relegation, I am confident.

I agree with @Covered End, and all concerned deserve great credit for getting us to this point at this time, which is considerably ahead of my own forecast for the season (14th)
  • Options
    As my old head teacher used to say , "you make your own luck"!
  • Options

those things happened but they are the exception. Sir Lennie used to say, in his portentous voice "by October, the die is cast". It's reasonable to assume that unless we strengthen we will inevitably drift lower, but provided Igor stays fit we are going to be well clear of relegation, I am confident.

I agree with @Covered End, and all concerned deserve great credit for getting us to this point at this time, which is considerably ahead of my own forecast for the season (14th)
    Indeed - 13 games is a more than adequate sample size and it's pretty clear we have more than enough to hold our own.

Add in three more experienced pros and it could be happy days.
  • Options
    Wiggins seems to be becoming a bit of a whipping boy but I think he is having a decent season and more than happy with his performances.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Rope-a-Dope football - getting it done.

Opposition teams have had numerous corners, free kicks, chances, dominated possession, but haven't been good enough to capitalise. Overrated Championship Strikers have missed chance after chance. Henderson - Bikey - Ben Haim have been outstanding as a solid defensive base. Long May it continue. 11 points clear of the relegation zone and pulling away.

Stats confirm you're absolutely right. BBC stats (which won't be wildly different from others) say we have scored 1 goal per 7 goal attempts so far; opposition 1 per 17. It's very hard to win matches with a stat like 1 in 17.
  • Options

Yes it does, Wednesday aren't top

We play Wednesday soon enough - perhaps @operationpig‌ can bring photos of his house he put up against my tenner before the start of the season.
    Back to the thread and take a look at the Tucudean goal last night - no luck, just sweet control with the outside of the boot and bosch 1-0.

Ten games to the halfway point and 14 points needed to be 6th or thereabouts.

I know I've posted loads on Staprix and this and that but let's remind ourselves that we have the youngest squad in the league and that our first XI is a match for anyone.

Add more quality in January and we might, just might get a trip to Wembley sometime soon. The bookies have us 6-1 to make the play-offs and 28-1 for the drop - that's a lot lot better than July!

Our test, starting last night is whether we can beat lower half teams - no excuses about new managers or players injured just very simply can we score more goals than teams on the slide.

I'll say it now - Millwall at home is going to be a tad different this time with Peeters, Ben Haim and Bikey around!
  • Options

Nor Hudds
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Nor Hudds
    Give it a few weeks.
  • Options
    Apparently we are lucky.

A famous golfer once said ' the more I practice, the luckier I get'.

That is us. Not luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1996. I was 21. I fucked off to Tenerife for a two week holiday that pre season and ended up staying out there for a year. It was that bad!
  • Options
    We was actually top of the league in early December. We dropped into the relegation zone for the first time all season in the last 15 minutes of the season.
  • Options
    I remember it well. Big celebrations in The Horse & Groom.
  • Options
    Probably the last time you beat us wasn't it?
  • Options

I remember it well. Big celebrations in The Horse & Groom.

They're still singing hallelujah in there now !

• Options

Probably. We didn't play you for years (not that it makes much difference :-)
  • Options

Probably. We didn't play you for years (not that it makes much difference :-)
    I was actually joking when I posted that, but I just checked, and yes, it was the last time you beat us. The time before that was 92, then you have to go back to 1978 for the next Charlton win.
    It's an unbelievably one sided rivalry.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/millwall/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Charlton Athletic
  • Options
    Haven't you heard... We've got Liege onside now and they say... No one likes us - we don't care! (as they take lumps out of their own stadium!)

For the uninitiated, Belgians can get the the hump about quite a lot!

In all seriousness, time to bury Millwall with the top ten squad we now enjoy - we need the win to keep the momentum going for a game changing season.

Sure I'm over-reaching but it's the same with the massives and we don't have a problem beating them!
  • Options
    The millwall v Charlton fixtures are embarrassingly in their favour throughout history.

(Let's not talk about it)
  • Options

Haven't you heard... We've got Liege onside now and they say... No one likes us - we don't care! (as they take lumps out of their own stadium!)

For the uninitiated, Belgians can get the the hump about quite a lot!

In all seriousness, time to bury Millwall with the top ten squad we now enjoy - we need the win to keep the momentum going for a game changing season.

Sure I'm over-reaching but it's the same with the massives and we don't have a problem beating them!

I've said it before, if you don't beat us this season you never will!