Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Aizlewood

Comments

• Options
    Wondered for years why Lennie sold Aizlewood and Pearson mid-season, always assumed it was cash related?
    Simonsen said:

Wondered for years why Lennie sold Aizlewood and Pearson mid-season, always assumed it was cash related?

Think Lennie got both decisions right. We needed the money and neither were quite good enough for regular 1st Division football. These days, they'd both be kept on and would hardly play.
    Agree on Pearson, out of his depth in the top tier, but Aizlewood was a very decent player, could have carried on in the top flight.
  • Options
    Very good passer of the ball, could read the game well but just lacked that bit of quality to do it in the top flight IMO. This for me justified Lennie selling him early on in the 1986/87 season. He had the nasty and cunning bit in his game so suited Leeds perfectly!! I remember his basketball style leap at St Andrews in the play offs catching the ball which was seeing Crooks about to race through on goal and only getting a booking. The other two handed catch for us at West Ham also springs to mind. His handling was better than some keepers...

Good player from an era when I first started going to Charlton.
  • Options
    sound as a £ .. unspectacular but effective for the most part
  • Options
    Bloody hell.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Where do I start ? Mark Aizlewood is another one of my all time favourites.

He joined during the Simonsen on/off/on era . I think it was when another new signing Geoff Scott got injured at Chelsea which prompted his signing from Luton. Apparently we recruited him instead of the receiving the last cash instalment from the Paul Walsh transfer.I think at the time Leighton Phillips who was Ken Craggs's assistant was almost trying to make us London Welsh as we also had Carl Harris ,John Phillips and Peter O'Sullivan as well as Mark and Leighton himself.

I was at Elland Road for his debut and I think he laid on Steve White's opener . I seem to remember his wife also gave birth around that time . This win felt significant because it was the first time we had played there since the Don Revie golden era and we still saw them as a big club . I remember thinking that he had the skill and physical presence to play in midfield and later that season Lennie did move him forward to great effect.

The following season I remember on Boxing Day he played at Fratton Park against his late older brother Steve for the only time in his career when we played Portsmouth and then in his third season he more than matched Hoddle and co at the Lane in the FA Cup.

I remember in the promotion season and when we played in the top flight he often played as a sweeper to great effect . If my memory serves me right it was from this position that he helped orchestrate the famous win at Old Trafford.

Then his last acts were against us as a sort of pantomime villain for Leeds in the play off games.He also he appeared against us for Bradford in the FA Cup and for Bristol City when he played in the game at Upton Park when Webbo scored that amazing last minute winner . His last appearance against us was for Bristol City at the Valley in 1993.

I couldn't find a link ,but I am sure I have read interviews whereby he said Charlton was the highlight of his career and he admitted that he was a good second tier player and was slightly out of his depth in the top flight. I too would love to read an English translation of his autobiography.

• Options
    Must have been reading this and fancied a game:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29911967

• Options
    Richard J said:

Then his last acts were against us as a sort of pantomime villain for Leeds in the play off games.

Love watching his reaction after Shirtliff's second goal goes in.

• Options
    The English version of his autobiography was depended on sales of the Welsh version. Shame really, as I'm sure it would have sold many copies.
  • Options
    It might have been better coming out as bi-lingual from the start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't he get nicked for some dodgy dealings ... I'm sure there was something about that on here 
    probably on this thread I'll go and have a look
  • Options
    Best handball I have ever seen from a player. Admittedly against us rather than for us but still impressive
    Garth Crooks was clear through on goal.
    Was worthy of a red.😤😤😤
  • Options
    Interesting read and a sad story. Was close to Gritt and Mark Stuart during his Charlton days. Could be a nasty piece of work on the pitch, and clearly had his demons. A talented player who would have easily cut it in the top flight had he not gone to Leeds. 
  • Options
    Wonder what he’s up to now?
  • Options
    sound as a £ .. unspectacular but effective for the most part
    Aizlewood or @SoundAsa£?
  • Options
    I'd like to read his book, it was published in Welsh so I'll have to dig around to see if copies were printed in English. 
  • Options
    It was when Lennie moved him into midfield from left back that he really shone and was the mainstay of the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    When I started the Aizlewood is better than Hoddle chant at the White Hart Lane fa cup match, I meant it! 😂
    Incredible player for us once he switched to a central midfield role. 
  • Options
    Sentenced to 6 years imprisonment at Southwark Crown Court in 2018.
  • Options
    So, he’ll still be inside then.
  • Options
    No chance of a signed photo then.
  • Options
    No chance of a signed photo then.
    Have a word with @AddickUpNorth he's got contacts 😉.
  • Options
    Unlikely. I should imagine he’s out on license by now . 
  • Options
    I can get the signed photo after all.......
  • Options
    If he picked up a six stretch in ‘18 then he hasn’t served half his sentence so should be still inside. I’ll run a search when I go back to work on Monday and let Elfie know where to send his SAE.
  • Options
    Touch and go I’d say.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    why was he sent down ? 

Edit : Fraud