Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remember Josh Harris...?

Comments

• Options
    Rivalry aside, if Palace have shedloads of cash that surely will have some effect on us. It's bad enough them being in the Premier.
  • Options

Allegedly he failed the football league owners test, be interesting if he is allowed to take them over.

Apparently failed the orange test as well.

Yes you have to look like you've spent six months pinned down on a cheap sunbed and have a haircut like an out-of-work actor to be accepted by the fine bodies of men that follow the stripey Nigels.

• Options
    How the hell has he failed the owners test when we have the Leeds and Cardiff guys approved.
  • Options

How the hell has he failed the owners test when we have the Leeds and Cardiff guys approved.

Well that's what I was wondering. But so far no link to such a claim. If he has though, then I personally feel it would be a legitimate Trust issue to take up with the relevant authorities and supporter groups.

Anybody find anything on this?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Update. I can find no evidence that Harris has failed a fit and proper test (as far as I know he never made an offer for a club up to now).

Unfortunately, this Palace blog suggests the guy will do a decent business -like job. That said, there is no sign that he splashes cash to buy results. There is no reason at this stage to think that he would be, or would have been, a better owner than RD
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I think it's a confusion arising from Slater claiming in Jan 2014 that someone had failed a fit and proper person test and Harris's reported interest in the club in late 2013. From recollection the failure related to a potential buyer who wouldn't disclose their identity (so nothing like TJ/MS then).
  • Options

I think it's a confusion arising from Slater claiming in Jan 2014 that someone had failed a fit and proper person test and Harris's reported interest in the club in late 2013. From recollection the failure related to a potential buyer who wouldn't disclose their identity (so nothing like TJ/MS then).

wasn't that buyer from russia?
  • Options
    I never saw anything myself, but was told that when I questioned why S&J let Roland take over instead of a billionaire.
  • Options
    Airman has it right, I am sure.
    And of course the FL cannot do a fit and proper person test on someone whose identity was not known. I think Slater just needed an excuse to close the deal with RD quickly.
  • Options
    His he buying palace?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He does realise they could get relegated, doesn't he?!

Guess he likes cheerleaders , then...

And will insist the fans chant " Sam Eagle!"

• Options

Update. I can find no evidence that Harris has failed a fit and proper test (as far as I know he never made an offer for a club up to now).

Unfortunately, this Palace blog suggests the guy will do a decent business -like job. That said, there is no sign that he splashes cash to buy results. There is no reason at this stage to think that he would be, or would have been, a better owner than RD

Well spotted Prague, very positive feedback indeed from the New Jersey Devils fan. But I did LOL at one part of it: "If Palace could turn into a club like Stoke then I think you guys should be very excited".
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This is detailed and specific. JH's takeover of Palace apparently close to a done deal. The Nigels have definitely cornered the market in luck.

theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/13/crystal-palace-takeover-nearing-completion-josh-harris

--

The proposed £90m takeover of Crystal Palace appears to be nearing completion, with a group of American investors led by Josh Harris reportedly in “late-stage discussions” with the Premier League side.

Harris, who bought the NBA franchise Philadelphia 76ers in 2011 and the NHL side New Jersey Devils alongside his partner David Blitzer in 2013, has been interested in purchasing an English football club for some time and first held talks with Palace’s owners, CPFC 2010, during last year’s pre-season tour of America.

A report in the Financial Times on Friday suggested that the deal is now close to being completed, with a group of private equity executives from Harris’s capital investment firm Apollo Global Management and Blackstone, the world’s largest private equity firm, hopeful that the deal could be signed in the next few days. Palace declined to comment when approached on Friday.

However, it is understood that Harris – who is worth a reported $2.6bn, according to Forbes – and Blitzer would take a majority shareholding, with the current co-owner Steve Parish reducing his stake to 15% and the other three partners in CPFC 2010 reducing theirs to 5%. A further group of seven investors – the US businessmen David Novak, Bret Pearlman, Marc Leder, Arthur Wrubel, Anthony Ignaczak, Rodgers Krouse and Matthew Hulsizer – will also take a share in the club.

According to the FT report, the group has been following Palace’s progress for much of this year and has been in on-and-off negotiations with Parish, although those talks were put on hold at around the end of last year when the club sacked Neil Warnock after slipping into the relegation zone.

A recent revival under the new manager Alan Pardew has moved Palace towards Premier League safety for next season, with an eight-point gap over 18th-placed Queens Park Rangers before the two sides’ meeting at Selhurst Park on Saturday.

Palace were bought out of administration by the CPFC 2010 consortium – comprised of Parish and fellow wealthy fans Martin Long, Steve Browett and Jeremy Hosking – in the summer of 2010. Since then they have galvanised the club and steered it out of the Championship through the play-offs in 2013. There was no urgent financial need to sell from the current owners before talks with Harris began.
  • Options
    Much as it pains me to say it but if this fella takes over then that will put them light years ahead of not just us but half the premier league :neutral:
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd go that far. From what people have uncovered about his past investments, he's probably not going to put a lot into the team, but I think it will help them to become an established PL side for years to come. He may put more cash into a new ground and associated development opportunities.
  • Options
    I see,maybe not half the prem then but as you say,they will be a stable prem side for the forseeable :(
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I hope RD reads about this.

Gold and Sullivan value the Olympic Whammers at £400 million. The Nigels' value has probably jumped from something like £15-20 million in the Championship to £90 million now. I suppose that's £90 million for £80% or less of the club, so actually values them at £112 million or more?
  • Options
    Glad I'm not alone in finding this utterly depressing - especially since, if the chuckle brothers hadn't been so greedy, he could have been our owner instead of two sheds....
  • Options

Glad I'm not alone in finding this utterly depressing - especially since, if the chuckle brothers hadn't been so greedy, he could have been our owner instead of two sheds....

That's about the shape of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2015

I've still not got over Zabeel.

The Jimensz / Slater debacle over allegedly losing the Kevin Cash investment and then trying to sell for too much money, putting off Josh Harris is only second to the Zabeel sale falling through.
  • Options
    Without reading the article what's so good about him? How do so many seem to know he'd be a great owner?
  • Options
    I know he's fairly popular, but I think Kevin Phillips should be ritually castrated with a pair of rusty nail scissors. Because of that penalty.

The less gloomy side of this is that RD should realise that promotion to the Promised Land would not just mean an increase in turnover, which might not mean an increase in profit. It would also mean an almost immediate return on investment measured in hundreds of percent. He won't get that anywhere else in his football network, especially not at Standard Liege.
  • Options
    I thought we had a meeting at an unheated ex- night club in Woolwich that was full of multi millionaires who are taking over the club?
  • Options

I'm not exactly "glad all over" about it either ;-(
  • Options

I thought we had a meeting at an unheated ex- night club in Woolwich that was full of multi millionaires who are taking over the club?

you aren't allowed to comment about it unless you a) were there, b) are nice about it c) remember I know where you live..

;)
  • Options
    not convinced Josh right is good for any club, mainly cos he's tarted about so much with acquiring one, makes you wonder why that is. He could have picked us up for very little. Seems to me he's in it for profit for as little as possible investment
  • Options
    I don't follow NBA but it seems the 76ers have been going backwards rather than forwards in recent years? Big money doesn't gaurantee success let alone we don't even know if he's going to make significant investment into Palace.