Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remember Josh Harris...?

Comments

• Options
    I'm desperately clinging to the "grass is always greener/better the devil you know/careful what you wish for" approach but with that lot looking set for another year in the Premier League with a rich new owner and the Hammers being given a new stadium for bobbins it's hard work.

Thank gawd for the Spanners...
  • Options
    razil said:

not convinced Josh right is good for any club, mainly cos he's tarted about so much with acquiring one, makes you wonder why that is. He could have picked us up for very little. Seems to me he's in it for profit for as little as possible investment

Thought Jmminez farted about on the price so he walked away, forcing the sale to RD
  • Options
    This is precisely the reason why I hate what modern football has become .

Will our anti Roland brigade get support from Palace fans about foreign ownership ? No they will think they have just won the National Lottery . It is the game that is corrupt . In this context I accept Roland and his network because I think he is trying to do something about the financial madness of the football industry.

Josh Harris has no empathy with Crystal Palace .If he has why did he consider buying us ? I suspect geographically we would have been a much better bet ,but it would have involved a move from the Valley to the Peninsula .

Would we have really wanted this ?
  • Options
    Moving grounds has not done any harm to Man City or Arsenal though as it..?? Also, Brentford, QPR, Oxford Utd, Spurs, West Ham and I believe York City to name a few are also planning or going to move grounds soon.

I know The Valley is very emotional to all of us, but if the future of the club depended on moving to the Peninsula, wouldn't you take it? At least it is still in the borough.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2015
    Richard J said:

Will our anti Roland brigade get support from Palace fans about foreign ownership ? No they will think they have just won the National Lottery . It is the game that is corrupt . In this context I accept Roland and his network because I think he is trying to do something about the financial madness of the football industry.

Josh Harris has no empathy with Crystal Palace .If he has why did he consider buying us ? I suspect geographically we would have been a much better bet ,but it would have involved a move from the Valley to the Peninsula .

Your backing for the Roland network strategy is yours to hold, and time will tell how that works for Charlton and who's interest is central. Not going to say too much about that.

The 'anti Roland brigade' term is unhelpful, unclear what it means and divisive. So enough already.

Not quite sure what you are talking about about 'the anti Roland Brigade' getting support from Palace supporters about foreign ownership. Charlton supporters who have concerns about some of the decisions made and the way the club is run does not relate to the fact that Roland Duchatelet comes from Belgium. It is how the club is run that concerns not the foreign ownership.

You attributing those with concerns about the club is run to some xenophobia about foreign ownership is slander. Charlton Athletic supporters for the majority part do not hate foreigners. You have the wrong South London club there.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2015
    Richard J said:

If the club owned the new ground and not rented it (and gained from any attached commercial ventures) then I would have not objected a move to the peninisula. ACV was for me part of that in keeping a Charlton presence in the Borough. ACV, I appreciate may have different meaning for others.

The Valley is home but sometimes you move house, and if that allows the family or club to grow then you accept that life is a process of change and the way you handle the changes.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Palace are currently positioned to hugely move forward support wise over the next few years. There is serious potential to tap into there imo
  • Options

Palace are currently positioned to hugely move forward support wise over the next few years. There is serious potential to tap into there imo

Should Josh Harris move them down the M23 to Sussex so they can have a
    Proper Local derby with Brighton ? Thou at the moment only in the Cup.

Shit happens !

• Options
    edited March 2015

As depressing as this is it is true. Plastic gimmicky ultra stuff but their manufactured atmosphere draws pundits and fits in perfectly with the modern game.

To be honest I don't suppose they care either....must be more enjoyable sitting in a rocking stadium than the morgue that the Valley is most games.

The covered end do their best but pointless when the 2 biggest stands are quieter than a 1970s BBC radio boss.

Always happens when a team is in the top league but the number of palace merchandise wearing people including kids seems to have grown over the few years.

Outside of the traditional locales of support and family connections any currently non - affiliated support normally flocks to the bigger clubs. But for those wanting to support a more local club in S London Millwall will always appeal to suburban teenagers who want to "glory hunt" in being associated with their rep and what goes with it and then those left will be split between us and Palace.

Can see they are miles ahead of us on and off the pitch at the moment sadly and with the money they'll get nowdays it will take mismanagement of epic proportions for them to sink below us again. Will always be at an advantage until we get back in the top flight.

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Only ones to blame are the trust for Harris not buying charlton

I am a bit worried that you are not joking and actually serious with this way off beam comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

Richard J said:

Your backing for the Roland network strategy is yours to hold, and time will tell how that works for Charlton and who's interest is central. Not going to say too much about that.

The 'anti Roland brigade' term is unhelpful, unclear what it means and divisive. So enough already.

Not quite sure what you are talking about about 'the anti Roland Brigade' getting support from Palace supporters about foreign ownership. Charlton supporters who have concerns about some of the decisions made and the way the club is run does not relate to the fact that Roland Duchatelet comes from Belgium. It is how the club is run that concerns not the foreign ownership.

You attributing those with concerns about the club is run to some xenophobia about foreign ownership is slander. Charlton Athletic supporters for the majority part do not hate foreigners. You have the wrong South London club there.
    I used my words about the network carefully.

I deliberately did not use the word 'support' but said 'accept' .My 'backing' is for Charlton as it was when I first went and Glikstein wouldn't invest in getting out of the Second Division.

I have concerns about the governance of football and am trying to judge Roland in the context of the modern game which I am beginning to detest . It seems that it is only the billionaire class who could invest even at Championship level and they have priced out ordinary supporters . Palace will feel that they have their 'Nigels back' with Harris coming in if it produces the goods on the pitch . If it does not then it might not end so happily.

The Valley will still be affordable next season . Apart from the rise of the retirement concession from 60 to 65 I have few complaints.I suspect at Selhurst the Premier League demand will outstrip supply . I do pay tribute to our previous owners for never exploiting the cost of football when we were up there , this is one aspect where Roland and Katrien have carried on one of our proud traditions. Would a Harris owned club do the same ?

Parish seems to have now accepted that he does not have the resources to move Palace on so has sold to Harris . I think this is a shame and the underlying issue is ignored as it was about FFP because everyone is concerned about their own club being succesfull rather than the bigger picture .

If the club owned the new ground and not rented it (and gained from any attached commercial ventures) then I would have not objected a move to the peninisula. ACV was for me part of that in keeping a Charlton presence in the Borough. ACV, I appreciate may have different meaning for others.

The Valley is home but sometimes you move house, and if that allows the family or club to grow then you accept that life is a process of change and the way you handle the changes.

But wasn't the proposal for a football ground / open air concert arena ? I embrace change which was why I said above in the context of modern football I 'accept' Roland and the network .
  • Options
    Parrish and the existing directors are allowing Harris & co take control, with 80% of the the club. Harris won't bother hugely about what happens on the field, as long as they can maintain a stable place in the PL.

Harris will use his majority stake to build commercial interests in Croydon that don't necessarily have anything directly to do with CPFC. That is the way American major league franchises work, because the city is desperate to have a major league franchise. (When George W Bush and his consortium wanted to build the Texas Rangers baseball stadium, the city actually gave them compulsory purchase rights on local property, even property unrelated to the stadium.)

While Croydon obviously already has a PL club, the benefits to the area are very enticing, and Harris will put pressure on the Council to get his way. If he wants a new stadium, it is likely be part of a complex or multiple sites, possibly with a shopping mall/offices/hotels/etc. He'll want the second part anyway, even if there's no new stadium.

What Harris is not likely to do is a Fernandez or a Citeh. There will not be huge amounts of money thrown at the playing squad. What the Nigels get is a big injection of cash now for financial stability and, they hope, the gradual development of a much stronger commercial base for the club.

Why didn't Harris go for CAFC when he had the chance? He took a good long look at us, just like CPFC. It probably wasn't because the asking price was a few millions too high, it was because he wasn't convinced there were sufficient wider commercial opportunities in Greenwich.
  • Options

All those Saturday shoppers....
  • Options

Parrish and the existing directors are allowing Harris & co take control, with 80% of the the club. Harris won't bother hugely about what happens on the field, as long as they can maintain a stable place in the PL.

Harris will use his majority stake to build commercial interests in Croydon that don't necessarily have anything directly to do with CPFC. That is the way American major league franchises work, because the city is desperate to have a major league franchise. (When George W Bush and his consortium wanted to build the Texas Rangers baseball stadium, the city actually gave them compulsory purchase rights on local property, even property unrelated to the stadium.)

While Croydon obviously already has a PL club, the benefits to the area are very enticing, and Harris will put pressure on the Council to get his way. If he wants a new stadium, it is likely be part of a complex or multiple sites, possibly with a shopping mall/offices/hotels/etc. He'll want the second part anyway, even if there's no new stadium.

What Harris is not likely to do is a Fernandez or a Citeh. There will not be huge amounts of money thrown at the playing squad. What the Nigels get is a big injection of cash now for financial stability and, they hope, the gradual development of a much stronger commercial base for the club.

Why didn't Harris go for CAFC when he had the chance? He took a good long look at us, just like CPFC. It probably wasn't because the asking price was a few millions too high, it was because he wasn't convinced there were sufficient wider commercial opportunities in Greenwich.

This comment makes a lot of sense as to why Harris is choosing Palace and the s**t hole that is Croydon. Not sure if Croydon can ever be described as enticing though.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2015
    Richard J said:

vff said:

Richard J said:

I used my words about the network carefully.

I deliberately did not use the word 'support' but said 'accept' .My 'backing' is for Charlton as it was when I first went and Glikstein wouldn't invest in getting out of the Second Division.

I have concerns about the governance of football and am trying to judge Roland in the context of the modern game which I am beginning to detest . It seems that it is only the billionaire class who could invest even at Championship level and they have priced out ordinary supporters . Palace will feel that they have their 'Nigels back' with Harris coming in if it produces the goods on the pitch . If it does not then it might not end so happily.

The Valley will still be affordable next season . Apart from the rise of the retirement concession from 60 to 65 I have few complaints.I suspect at Selhurst the Premier League demand will outstrip supply . I do pay tribute to our previous owners for never exploiting the cost of football when we were up there , this is one aspect where Roland and Katrien have carried on one of our proud traditions. Would a Harris owned club do the same ?

Parish seems to have now accepted that he does not have the resources to move Palace on so has sold to Harris . I think this is a shame and the underlying issue is ignored as it was about FFP because everyone is concerned about their own club being succesfull rather than the bigger picture .
    This comment makes it a bit clearer about wider football governance and is a bit more measured and intelligible as it usual with your contributions. Its all that unnecessary brigade stuff which has clouded the main point and not I don't think is your usual style. Your backing / acceptance of Duchatelet is your opinion and like I said above, time will tell.

There was always going to be a way round FFP and its application. Playing by those rules when everyone else isn't and breaking them is rewarded with promotion is not going to help Charlton remain a Championship club. Unfortunately. Charlton needs to get into the Premiership at least once over the next few seasons or it will find itself left behind. Burnley are a good example and have not spent that much on transfers and maintained the team that got them promoted. They are likely to go down but will likely be in good shape.

A season in the premiership would allow for historic debts to be paid of and Roland Duchatelet get some reward for his investment. That will require some ambition.

I was reading on ITTV of the news conference in the New Shopper - http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/11852391._/

(Luzon was pressed on whether the main reason for Duchatelet’s presence was to get the ball rolling on summer transfer targets).

Luzon: “When we finish this season we will start to work on next season. “And when we assemble our squad for next season we will know what our ambition is

Clear as mud / time will tell, like I said above.
  • Options
    vff said:

This comment makes a lot of sense as to why Harris is choosing Palace and the s**t hole that is Croydon. Not sure if Croydon can ever be described as enticing though.

Thanks. Sorry, that phrase was misleading. What I meant is that the benefits that Harris can bring in terms of new property developments will be very enticing to local businesses, to people who believe it will generate additional wealth in the area, to the cash-strapped Council, etc.
  • Options
    vff said:

It is all pretty much being knocked down and a Westfield going in I think.

Very good train connections too.
  • Options
    The only positive is that the most qualified candidate to destroy the club is currently their manager so it's not all doom and gloom!
  • Options

The only positive is that the most qualified candidate to destroy the club is currently their manager so it's not all doom and gloom!

Also makes clear why Pardew left Newcastle to go to Palace. He was promised that he would be able to spend / waste a shed load of money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't follow NBA but it seems the 76ers have been going backwards rather than forwards in recent years? Big money doesn't gaurantee success let alone we don't even know if he's going to make significant investment into Palace.

Yep. And the Devils (his NHL team) have been poor since he bought them - missing the playoffs the past two years and looking like missing out again this year (they were a perennial Stanley Cup contender/winner over the past 20 years)
  • Options
    Lets hope he has the same effect at Palace.
  • Options
    So who wants to groundshare while they give Selhurst Park the facelift to end all facelifts?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/crystal-palace-takeover-fails

One less thing to worry about. If they give Pardew full control over player recruitment I think there's a chance they could come down next season.

Charlton, Villa and now Palace. It makes you wonder what his consortium are looking for.
  • Options
    The legal fees he must have paid out would probably have covered Duchatalets purchase of Charlton
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

The legal fees he must have paid out would probably have covered Duchatalets purchase of Charlton

That's if he's paid any ......
  • Options
    The last para of that article might be the best clue as to why the take over fell apart. They managed to knock all their debts, strongarm the ground for half it's value and used all the case available to win promotion. Typical of the attitude of a club going into administration that they didn't use the 'escape' from debt to renovate the ground and training facilities but spent it on players.

If they get relegated in the next season or two, they could be in serious trouble - Administration again, anyone?
  • Options
    This thread is beginning to read like 'All Our Yesterdays', can we go 'Back To The Future' please. We have a wealthy owner whose intention appears to be investing in the Academy, and bringing in talented youngsters, which it seems to me to be a very sensible idea for a Club of our size and history. Apart from a tiny handful of Clubs, the idea of throwing money at it is totally ludicrous, ask Blackburn. Build sound foundations, grow things carefully, manage your Club with financial care, and we will one day reach the promised land in a way that allows us to remain there.