Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A commemorative plaque will be unveiled to mark Armistice Day at Sheffield Wednesday match

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sheffield Wednesday players were mentioned by Clive and there was a full page article in the programme about Captain Vivian Simpson, a former Wednesday player who died in WW1.

The article was written by Military historian and SWFC fan Andrew Riddoch.

There was also a piece about a former Sheff Weds player and Charlton manager who was gassed in the war. The away fans sat in the stand named after him.
  • Options

Sheffield Wednesday players were mentioned by Clive and there was a full page article in the programme about Captain Vivian Simpson, a former Wednesday player who died in WW1.

The article was written by Military historian and SWFC fan Andrew Riddoch.

There was also a piece about a former Sheff Weds player and Charlton manager who was gassed in the war. The away fans sat in the stand named after him.

OK. Haven't read the program yet. It is just an observation that remembering the Sheff Wed formers players in the speech on the pitch would have been good. Though not easy speaking in front of thousands of people so maybe nerves got the better of him, which is understandable.
  • Options
    Clive did mention Sheff Weds in his speech on the pitch
  • Options
    The pitch side speech was exceptional in comparison to the majority of pitch side stuff. The voice was crystal clear, the diction precise, the content clear and well structured and it was framed in a way to allow us to pay attention. So often I find myself asking 'what's occouring?' when gabbled pitch side stuff is going on, but not on Saturday.
  • Options
    Excellent.

Respect
  • Options
    And to reiterate Ben's cal to arms, we have a real opportunity of the new museum becoming a real asset in telling the story of our great clubs history.

This is a supporter driven project which as we know have always been at the heart of our club.

It is now that we need to get over the line with regards to funding not exhibits (that are always welcome) yes it will be a work in progress for the first few months but I am confident that it will be a museum to be proud of and tell the context of our club in our community over the past 109 years so please bid on the auctions or give what you can.

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Hi Vff, glad you enjoyed the day overall, I perhaps could have mentioned the Sheffield Wednesday players individually but was restricted to just a minute or two initially, I did mention their overall contribution and ensured their story was told in the program via my pal Andrew Riddoch an owl himself.

To reassure you I have received a lot of positive feedback from Sheffield Wednesday fans at the game via social media who were extremely happy to have been made felt part of the day Roy Hattersley took the time to thank me for this in person at half time.

It is intimidating to speak on the pitch so now have a full understanding of what BDL has to do each week, unexpected delays, people not where they should be that sort of thing.

I would have perhaps done somethings slightly differently on reflection but the main thing is the day passed with dignity, the crowd reacted perfectly and it is something I will always remember and was proud to be part of.

Clive

Traffic delays unfortunately prohibited my arrival in time for the 1:30 ceremony so I am unable to comment on that but the pre match pitch ceremony was moving and apposite with your speech being an excellent part of that.

For what it is worth people around me at the match commented positively too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Hi Vff, glad you enjoyed the day overall, I perhaps could have mentioned the Sheffield Wednesday players individually but was restricted to just a minute or two initially, I did mention their overall contribution and ensured their story was told in the program via my pal Andrew Riddoch an owl himself.

To reassure you I have received a lot of positive feedback from Sheffield Wednesday fans at the game via social media who were extremely happy to have been made felt part of the day Roy Hattersley took the time to thank me for this in person at half time.

It is intimidating to speak on the pitch so now have a full understanding of what BDL has to do each week, unexpected delays, people not where they should be that sort of thing.

I would have perhaps done somethings slightly differently on reflection but the main thing is the day passed with dignity, the crowd reacted perfectly and it is something I will always remember and was proud to be part of.

Clive - I too spoke to Roy Hattersley after the game and he (and Milan Manderic) totally 'got' the whole thing and were extremely pleased that you had included Sheffield Wednesday's players and supporters into the whole event. They were very impressed and won't forget the fact that their club was included.

• Options
    Better pic courtesy of Mick Everett

• Options
    This and the Lee Rigby plaque really makes me proud of the club and our fans.
  • Options
    Following on from the excellent edition of Valley Review last week with it's stories of Charlton's war heroes, the Reading programme yesterday had similar features highlighting the heroism and sacrifices of their players. I guess that over the last week or two most, if not all, league clubs and many non-league ones would have published similar articles. That set me thinking, wouldn't it be a fantastic thing if someone at the Football League could get together with the British Legion to collate all of these stories from clubs around the country and publish a book of them. This would have the joint benefits of raising money for the poppy fund and giving some positive publicity for football.
  • Options
    I wrote to the FA about some ideas for WW1 commemoration last June I think, no response
  • Options

This and the Lee Rigby plaque really makes me proud of the club and our fans.

There was reference to this in the Reading programme yesterday.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Following on from the excellent edition of Valley Review last week with it's stories of Charlton's war heroes, the Reading programme yesterday had similar features highlighting the heroism and sacrifices of their players. I guess that over the last week or two most, if not all, league clubs and many non-league ones would have published similar articles. That set me thinking, wouldn't it be a fantastic thing if someone at the Football League could get together with the British Legion to collate all of these stories from clubs around the country and publish a book of them. This would have the joint benefits of raising money for the poppy fund and giving some positive publicity for football.

@stig - agreed, but already available and much closer to home is "The Greater Game - Sporting Icons Who Fell in the Great War" jointly written by our own Clive Harris a.k.a. SE7toSG3. As the title implies, this covers footballers, rugby players. cricketers and many others. It is a cracking book and well worth reading.
  • Options
    Good to see that the memorial has already become a focus for remembrance

On Wednesday I saw that the red flowers that were placed there the day after the memorial was opened have been replaced with more fresh flowers

There was also an wreath from the family of an Addick. Don't know if it was a recent death or if he served in the forces but not sure if that matters.
  • Options
    The original red flowers were placed there on the day the memorial was unveiled, the Sheffield Wednesday match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is an old story, but I thought it gave some interesting background about the Loos Football. Especially telling for me is that they guy who first kicked the ball out got shot in the leg. So it wasn't quite as romantic as the Sainsbury's ad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1364909/Football-dribbled-WW1-No-Mans-Land-soldiers-unearthed.html