Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Charlton Life is better than chatting to Charlton fans in the pub

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:

I've spoken to so many different fans in pubs away from home up and down the country, and literally never come across any lifers.
    My opinions on here cause outrage at times but in person Charlton fans usually see where I'm coming from, on that note, give me the pub over Charlton Life any day of the week!

That raises an interesting point though. I bump into a Charlton-supporting gentleman once every few weeks whilst we are doing something fairly mundane that I'm not going to specify as it would bring him closer to identifying me. We have a very nice chat about what's been going on at Charlton, we frequently talk about stuff we've read on the internet, transfer gossip et. We refer to "that Charlton Life message board thing" (I presume, like me, he is trying to give the impression that he has the occasional glance on here, rather than the reality, which is that I spend the entire day on here and consider it extremely unreasonable when my employer interrupts my Charlton Life Time with some trivial work matter that he expects me to complete in return for my salary.

I can't imagine ever revealing that I have a user account on here, let alone my username, in case he's got one too and, prior to our meeting, we've spent the entire day involved in a bitter online argument about the merits of getting Chris Powell back as manager and giving him a 40 year contract.

Any other Lifers leading a similar double life?
    I know my brother reads this but has never actually signed up. Hopefully he doesn't know who I am.
  • Options
    Spoke to a Northerner who supports Charlton once said he recognises my username, that's about it
  • Options

Spoke to a Northerner who supports Charlton once said he recognises my username, that's about it

Oi oi!
  • Options

For me that would be like some sort sniff of mini celebrity stardom, when you're out in a pub and they go, "bloody hell you're cabbles? Mate I'm a massive fan of all your posts, can I have a photo?"

I have to then step back and say, "to be honest the whole point of CL is that we all remain a username behind a forum. I don't really feel comfortable with someone having footage of me that could then be leaked to the other members. Next thing you know is that there'll be a CL leaked website a'la Jennifer Lawrence scandal"

• Options
    MrLargo said:

I've spoken to so many different fans in pubs away from home up and down the country, and literally never come across any lifers.
    My opinions on here cause outrage at times but in person Charlton fans usually see where I'm coming from, on that note, give me the pub over Charlton Life any day of the week!

That raises an interesting point though. I bump into a Charlton-supporting gentleman once every few weeks whilst we are doing something fairly mundane that I'm not going to specify as it would bring him closer to identifying me. We have a very nice chat about what's been going on at Charlton, we frequently talk about stuff we've read on the internet, transfer gossip et. We refer to "that Charlton Life message board thing" (I presume, like me, he is trying to give the impression that he has the occasional glance on here, rather than the reality, which is that I spend the entire day on here and consider it extremely unreasonable when my employer interrupts my Charlton Life Time with some trivial work matter that he expects me to complete in return for my salary.

I can't imagine ever revealing that I have a user account on here, let alone my username, in case he's got one too and, prior to our meeting, we've spent the entire day involved in a bitter online argument about the merits of getting Chris Powell back as manager and giving him a 40 year contract.

Went in the lib club one day knowing that most on here drink in there, I asked quite a few if they were on Charlton Life, the most common response I got was "what's that?" I found it very bizarre so perhaps they were all lying?
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Went in the lib club one day knowing that most on here drink in there, I asked quite a few if they were on Charlton Life, the most common response I got was "what's that?" I found it very bizarre so perhaps they were all lying?
    Did you do that letting them know who you were sadie ;-)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

MrLargo said:

I know my brother reads this but has never actually signed up. Hopefully he doesn't know who I am.
    My brother is on here and unfortunately knows my username
    so whenever I see him I get stick when someone has taken the piss out of me on here
  • Options
    Unless I've got on really well for a while with someone, I'm a lurker
  • Options

MrLargo said:

First rule of Charlton life...
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Uboat said:

MrLargo said:

My brother is on here and unfortunately knows my username
    so whenever I see him I get stick when someone has taken the piss out of me on here
    must get a lot of stick then

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Well this got me thinking.
    The beer is cheaper for starters, and this week absinthe has been available.
    You can smoke whilst on Charlton Life. A pipe, a crack pipe (judging by some posts), a fine cigar, a Whacky woodbine. -knock yourself out.
    No one to tell you to take your hat off like they do in Greenwich 'spoons.
    It's open all night.
    You don't have to personally witness Paulie's highlights nor judge the exact size of Golfie's 'tv dinner friend's' norks.

Conversations can be sunk.

There must be loads of reasons why CL is better than the bar......

No-one can see me cry when I get abused on here, if it was a pub everyone could see :-)
    shut up
  • Options
    A next door neighbour (spanner) mentioned CL once, something he'd read on here that had been linked elsewhere. I feigned ignorance.
  • Options

Well this got me thinking.
    The beer is cheaper for starters, and this week absinthe has been available.
    You can smoke whilst on Charlton Life. A pipe, a crack pipe (judging by some posts), a fine cigar, a Whacky woodbine. -knock yourself out.
    No one to tell you to take your hat off like they do in Greenwich 'spoons.
    It's open all night.
    You don't have to personally witness Paulie's highlights nor judge the exact size of Golfie's 'tv dinner friend's' norks.

Conversations can be sunk.

There must be loads of reasons why CL is better than the bar......

No-one can see me cry when I get abused on here, if it was a pub everyone could see :-)
    shut up
    the smiley face at the end signified a joke in case you was not aware
  • Options
    cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Of course not.
  • Options
    If you get banned its much easier to return using a different name than it is in my local.
  • Options

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Of course not.
    That would be the killer for me. Bumping into some real established 'regulars' on here, letting them know who you are and they just go 'oh right' and carry on with their conversation:)
  • Options
    Talking of killers, it's much harder to catch fatal diseases if you aren't in a room full of Charlton fans
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Of course not.
    That would be the killer for me. Bumping into some real established 'regulars' on here, letting them know who you are and they just go 'oh right' and carry on with their conversation:)
    What I'd love to do is bump into some regulars in here with a deck of cards in my pocket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If a bird says something to me in a pub, I can have a sly look at her bangers.
    I cant do that on here.

I don't believe you wait for her to say something.
  • Options
    In a pub you could look in to someone's eyes and think yeah he's got a screw loose or he's joking so means no offence ....on here your left thinking what a complete and utter bellend
  • Options
    You can't really rock into a pub and stand on a chair and address the whole bar about a problem you are having with your bird or Missus. And in the unlikely event the bar kept quiet and heard you out you would be unlikely to get out without getting whacked when you got to the punchline and som Whig ugly geezer worked out it was a wind-up.

On here it really doesn't matter too much if not everyone shares your sense of humour!
  • Options
    Why the f*** would predictive text turn big into Whig? FFS what is the online world coming to...?
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited November 2014
    From the other side though. Pubs have been helping ugly people get their leg over for years. Not sure you can say the same about CL.
  • Options
    Rob said:

From the other side though. Pubs have been helping ugly people get their leg over for years. Not sure you can say the same about CL.

I'm still working on @RedPanda‌ tbf ;-)
  • Options
    Rob said:

Yes but on the otherside of the coin, on here really ugly people can pretend to be attractive.
  • Options

Rob said:

I'm still working on @RedPanda‌ tbf ;-)
    So that's why you always insist on plying me with drinks. If you want we can share a balti pie on Tuesday.