Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

African Cup of Nations in doubt

Morocco will not host it now
Egypt, Ghana and South Africa have ruled themselves out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30004279

Maybe we can keep Vetokele and Bulot

Comments

• Options
    Thought Morocco pulled out ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Angola one of the possible three in the running to host it - would they therefore qualify in Morocco's place?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Thought Morocco pulled out ?

yeah sorry the pulled out of hosting due to fears of people travelling there with Ebola and CAF kicked them out of the competition because of it
  • Options
    is this because of what Amy Childs said?
  • Options

Angola one of the possible three in the running to host it - would they therefore qualify in Morocco's place?

Yes, what is the Ebola situation there, there reason Morocco pulled out was because it has not reached there and they feared people would travel from places that have had Ebola and they might catch it. So if Angola have not had it yet maybe they would have the same fear and not want to host either
  • Options
    Crazy that they've been thrown out of the Competition now for refusing to host it simply because of the problem...

Is almost like FIFA / CAF are blaming them for Ebola when FIFA / CAF should have had the bloody sense to cancel it themselves!!
  • Options

Crazy that they've been thrown out of the Competition now for refusing to host it simply because of the problem...

Is almost like FIFA / CAF are blaming them for Ebola when FIFA / CAF should have had the bloody sense to cancel it themselves!!

Unfortunately Morocco did not play in qualifiers as they qualified automatically as hosts of the Finals.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

You mean the African Cup of awful goalkeepers?

This may sound harsh, but I think the tournament is a load of rubbish. Obviously it is important for the continent to have it, I get that. I just can't think of a worse tournament. In addition, they play it every 2 years????
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cafctom said:

This may sound harsh, but I think the tournament is a load of rubbish. Obviously it is important for the continent to have it, I get that. I just can't think of a worse tournament. In addition, they play it every 2 years????
    Johnstone's paint trophy?
  • Options
    dizzee said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

I can beat that... The Petrofac Training Cup

Morocco may be punished for political interference. Just like Togo were punished for withdrawing from a tournament in which their team bus was attacked.

Incidentally, that tournament was in Angola, so would be surprised if they were invited to host it again. I think Gabon co-hosted it recently, so that could be the plan. If they do, that could mean both Gabon (Bulot) and Angola (Vetokele) qualify as they're in the same group.

Understandable that Morocco would want to pull out. They are (relatively - it's a huge continent) close to ebola affected countries so more likely fans from Guinea etc would travel to there rather than, say, Angola.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

cabbles said:

cafctom said:

I always said about the JPT, 'what idiot made a regional tournament'

Yeah I don't mean to be overly harsh about African Cup of Nations. It's important for the continent and the people, I just don't enjoy it one little bit. And it's every 2 years!
  • Options
    It should be cancelled this year, Ebola is impacting Africa too much to be ignored
  • Options
    Would South Africa not be the go to country in that continent if you need to arrange a tournament quickly ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Would South Africa not be the go to country in that continent if you need to arrange a tournament quickly ?

South Africa have ruled themselves out of hosting it.

Unbelievable that's it wasn't cancelled/postponed before Morocco took matters into their own hands.
  • Options
    Of course FIFA are more interested in sticking to their corporate Contracts than the health of humanity.

Morocco could surely take them to the courts over this
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    MrLargo said:

se9addick said:

Unbelievable that's it wasn't cancelled/postponed before Morocco took matters into their own hands.
    from what I have read Morocco desperately tried to get in moved to 2016 but CAF refused so they pulled out
  • Options
    Another ironic way of looking at it with FIFA...

Morocco want to move the Cup of Nations back a year because Ebola can kill fans / players etc... yet the authorities have said no.
    Qatar want to move the World Cup back because the heat in summer can kill fans / players etc... the authorities are happy to do so

Whats the difference?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It should be cancelled this year, Ebola is impacting Africa too much to be ignored

Never let the potential spread of a deadly disease and loss of human life, get in the way of a decision by the most corrupt institution in the world (FIFA) headed by the most corrupt fat old fart in the world (Blatter)
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Never let the potential spread of a deadly disease and loss of human life, get in the way of a decision by the most corrupt institution in the world (FIFA) headed by the most corrupt fat old fart in the world (Blatter)
    I could be wrong but do Fifa actually get a say in it, or is it all down to the CAF
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Ebola is impacting a small part of Africa. Poverty, poor sanitation and malaria continue to be major killers in the continent that outstrip Ebola.

that is not to say Africa Cup of nations should not be cancelled, I have no opinion either way, but there is a context for Ebola and it is a limited geographic area http://t.co/hdHNLwfJIr
  • Options

cabbles said:

I could be wrong but do Fifa actually get a say in it, or is it all down to the CAF
    Never let my ignorance of world footballing governing bodies and which body looks after which tournaments get in the way of me having a dig at fat boy blatter and FIFA
  • Options
    edited November 2014

MrLargo said:

se9addick said:

from what I have read Morocco desperately tried to get in moved to 2015 but CAF refused so they pulled out
    It is in 2015.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

se9addick said:

from what I have read Morocco desperately tried to get in moved to 2015 but CAF refused so they pulled out
    It is in 2015.
    Meant 2016
  • Options
    Morocco is separated from the Ebola areas by the Sahara desert, so isn't currently at much risk. If fans start flying in from infected areas, then that would put the country at much risk, and could devastate their tourist industry, if Western Tourists decide to give the country a miss.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Never let my ignorance of world footballing governing bodies and which body looks after which tournaments get in the way of me having a dig at fat boy blatter and FIFA
    Know what you mean cabbles. There's an internet slapping awaiting ole Sepp at the drop of a hat as far as I am concerned. Despise the mans actions...
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Ebola is impacting a small part of Africa. Poverty, poor sanitation and malaria continue to be major killers in the continent that outstrip Ebloa.

that is not to say Africa Cup of nations should not be cancelled, I have no opinion either way, but there is a context for Ebola and it is a limited geographic area http://t.co/hdHNLwfJIr
    Cancel the tournament and ensure that ebola continues to only impact a small part of Africa.
  • Options
    I think CAF could be as bad as FIFA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30053859

So basically to make sure the tournament went ahead they have given it to a country they kicked out of qualifying for fielding an ineligible player, so they automatically qualify