Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

African Cup of Nations in doubt

2»

Comments

• Options
    Think it's a stupid competition, purely for the reasons it's every 2 years and the fact that it's smack in the business end of most domestic campaigns.

Might sound stupid, but when I'm playing Football Manager, I tend to avoid signing african players, as I don't want 4-5 of my team disappearing during the season and it wouldn't surprise me if real managers also took this into account when looking at potential signings..........................
  • Options
    That's a very logical reason for not signing African players but someone will no doubt play the race card.
  • Options
    Look at the map... Equatorial Guinea is CLOSER to the effected Ebola countries than Morocco?

As the crow flys its 1500 to Guinea from Sierra Leone and 1600 to Morocco... After all the doubt and worry (and yes for the pedantic it may only be 100 miles difference) over Ebola they've decided to increase the chance!!
  • Options

Look at the map... Equatorial Guinea is CLOSER to the effected Ebola countries than Morocco?

As the crow flys its 1500 to Guinea from Sierra Leone and 1600 to Morocco... After all the doubt and worry (and yes for the pedantic it may only be 100 miles difference) over Ebola they've decided to increase the chance!!

I don't think they were ever bothered it was Morocco that was worried about Ebola not CAF
  • Options
    I agree with @tangoflash .. should be held every four years like the majority of other sports tournaments
  • Options
    We're losing Bulot to the African Cup of Nations... Could be a very good idea getting Reza back if thats the case

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/frederic-bulot-gabon-african-cup-of-nations-2163056.aspx
  • Options

I don't think they were ever bothered it was Morocco that was worried about Ebola not CAF
    I'm not sure CAF know what Ebola is - a bit like Uganda having their first Y2K impact conference in 2001 !
  • Options

We're losing Bulot to the African Cup of Nations... Could be a very good idea getting Reza back if thats the case

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/frederic-bulot-gabon-african-cup-of-nations-2163056.aspx

In the circumstances, if we have to lose a player then Bulot is one of the more 'expendable'. Imagine a half fit Igor being called up and coming back injured and knackered...
  • Options
    Thought Reza moved because he didn't/couldn't play with TBH in the team.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Thought Reza moved because he didn't/couldn't play with TBH in the team.

Sounds lie the usual bollocks of putting 2+2 to equal 5

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kicking off.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    that was one of the most ridiculous matches I've ever seen.

Equatorial Guinea fans kicking off against Ghanaians for about 10 mins while police stood and watched before the Ghana fans had to break the gate down to escape onto the running track. then they all stand behind the goal while guinea fans chuck an unbelievable amount of bottles at them from the stands.

then the CAF officials for half an hour discuss whether to carry on the game or not. meanwhile helicopters and tear gas is going on around them in the stands. a mass of fans are apparently outside the ground ready to ambush the Ghana fans.
    then they finally start the game again but not from the time it stopped which was the 82nd minute but start it on the 90th minute with 3 mins stoppage time.

should of abandoned it as Ghana were not at fault and were winning 3-0. either that or if you do start the game at least start it from the moment it got stopped. not lose 8mins otherwise what is the point of starting the game again in the first place.

Morons in the stands and morons running the competition. what a complete an utter shambles.

• Options
    Mickey mouse competition, always has been
  • Options

that was one of the most ridiculous matches I've ever seen.

Equatorial Guinea fans kicking off against Ghanaians for about 10 mins while police stood and watched before the Ghana fans had to break the gate down to escape onto the running track. then they all stand behind the goal while guinea fans chuck an unbelievable amount of bottles at them from the stands.

then the CAF officials for half an hour discuss whether to carry on the game or not. meanwhile helicopters and tear gas is going on around them in the stands. a mass of fans are apparently outside the ground ready to ambush the Ghana fans.
    then they finally start the game again but not from the time it stopped which was the 82nd minute but start it on the 90th minute with 3 mins stoppage time.

should of abandoned it as Ghana were not at fault and were winning 3-0. either that or if you do start the game at least start it from the moment it got stopped. not lose 8mins otherwise what is the point of starting the game again in the first place.

Morons in the stands and morons running the competition. what a complete an utter shambles.

And they play it every 2 years????? African football is getting worse IMO. Each team has some stand out players, but getting these teams to play as a unit and getting the infrastructure in place for their respective FAs to compete is beyond them.

Wasn't it Ghana in the World Cup who had to have bonuses flown out in dollars or some bollocks because they refused to play if they didn't get them
  • Options
    I reckon some Mill were on holiday out there and kicked off.
  • Options
    On phone so can't post the link. Article on Sky Sports News website says that Morocco has been banned from the next to African Cup of Nations Tournaments and heavily fined ($1m fine + $9m in damages for refusing to host this year's tournament due to the Ebola crisis.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • Options
    So Cote D'Ivoire win it in the first year without Drogba. Shocking antics from their keeper in the shootout, but he took a mean penalty.

What is it with shootouts these days, I'm sure they nearly always used to get settled by the odd miss from the 10 penalties, but these days it always seems increasingly go to a marathon sudden death phase after multiple misses during the first round. Love seeing the keepers have to take them though, great drama.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Finally their "Golden Generation" delivers a trophy. I've got a soft spot for Ghana but Ivory Coast have some excellent players.

I have to say I don't think it was a brilliant tournament (although I only watched a few games and caught some of the highlights).
  • Options
    Haven't watched any of this tournament up until the shootout. What a farce. Outright cheating from Barry Copa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The ending completely summed up the whole tournament. It's a pantomime competition and a joke from start to finish. Get rid of it or only host it every four years.
  • Options
    Really didnt like the antics from the Ivory Coast Goalkeeper.

Hope it was a case of him being actually injured rather than milking it as you could end up with that happening with the 'keepers before every pen gets taken
  • Options

I agree with @tangoflash .. should be held every four years like the majority of other sports tournaments

Having watched the standard of football in this tournament i would suggest every 40 years.
  • Options
    Thought it's been an excellent tournament. Loved watching Ghana and every team had at least a couple of creative players willing to express their talent.
    The reason it's every 2 years is that allows the African nations to earn a bit of income and it's great to see the superstars support this by playing. They remember where they came from.

• Options
    Not been following this at all. Did Angola not qualify, or decided not to take Vetokele?

Might have done his confidence a bit of good to get away for a bit...........
  • Options
    Angola didnt qualify

There was also some eligibilty question marks around Vetokele but not sure if they've been resolved.
  • Options

The ending completely summed up the whole tournament. It's a pantomime competition and a joke from start to finish. Get rid of it or only host it every four years.

I'm pushing for it to be played bi-annually if anything :wink:
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2015

So Cote D'Ivoire win it in the first year without Drogba. Shocking antics from their keeper in the shootout, but he took a mean penalty.

What is it with shootouts these days, I'm sure they nearly always used to get settled by the odd miss from the 10 penalties, but these days it always seems increasingly go to a marathon sudden death phase after multiple misses during the first round. Love seeing the keepers have to take them though, great drama.

Penalties shoot outs are a fair reward and bit of excitement for those watching a close game that may have had few chances. I kept an eye on the score and watched a bit. The game was not that exciting so to keep the Mrs happy, turned over to watch the BAFTAs. Did turn over for the penalty shoot out.

There was a high number of great penalties taken in this one.

That Ivory Coast keeper though was out of order. He was collapsing feigning cramp to his leg and injury to his hand to put extra pressure on the next Ghanian kicker. He even managed to get booked for his play acting. It didn't work the first time but did work on the Ghanian goal keeper who missed the final penalty. The Ivory Coast keeper moved off his line before the ball was kicked for the final penalty and should have been retaken.