Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• colthe3rd said:

If you want change then only a worldwide boycott of the FIFA sponsors will do this. If 10m people stopped drinking Pepsi, stopped using MasterCard etc things would soon change.

FIFAs sponsor Coca Cola will be happy with that ;-)
    Ha ha I wasn't sure if it was Pepsi or Coke typical pick the wrong one!
  • Time now for the Aussies to consult their lawyers & to check the bidding contracts that state that they were bidding to hold a SUMMER tournament. As its now going to be held in the winter then all the bids are null & void.

I did hear that the Eskimo 's were now going to enter the bidding as they have the perfect conditions for a winter tournament........

Can't resist being "that guy" on this one. A June/July tournament in Australia would technically be a winter tournament. :-)
  • Qater being given the World Cup in the first place, is a bit like giving London the 2022 Winter Olympics
  • edited February 2015
    brogib said:

Qater being given the World Cup in the first place, is a bit like giving London the 2022 Winter Olympics

Timing would be everything for that one. If we could predict the 2 days of sludge accurately enough so as to plan for the transport infastructure to fall apart, then I think that's a goer I really do. Oh, and a frecking big wedge of cash as well should do the bid no harm...
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015
    The thing is, a tournament mid season will probably give the England team more chance as they won't be knackered after a long season. A Christmas Day world cup final would be historic. The whole bidding process though has been brought into disrepute as the bid was for a summer tournament. The Qatar bid was supposed to have air conditioned stadiums to allow the games to be played at 23 degrees. As soon as that wasn't possible then the bidding process should have been rerun.

Spreading the game around the world is a laudable aim but all this is about is money, money, money. Qatar have oiled the wheels and FIFA will get paid well. But 75% of the players at the tournament play in the European leagues and there are massive TV contracts, schedules and deals. The price FIFA will have to pay to placate European football and get this tournament on is likely to be very high. Blatter may find that he has finally over reached himself on trying to square this particular circle.
  • Will Roy have dropped Rooney by then?
  • Trouble is because the way the hemispheres work you cant really call it a summer World Cup because South Africa and Brazil both hosted theirs in winter as would Australia.

What countries need to be told prior to bidding is that they're bidding to host the World Cup held in June and July, if they cant do that then they cant bid in the first placd

I warned that firm not to kit it's oppos out in orange boiler suits ffs!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Surprised Beijing weren't hire after watching this, good they're wearing hard hats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFAJQ7SLew
  • brogib said:

Sadly not a laughing matter Big Rob.
    Forget the weather issues, this fact alone should justify a boycott of any world cup/sporting event in Qatar.
  • brogib said:

Surprised Beijing weren't hire after watching this, good they're wearing hard hats

Love that and fair play to them, cojones of iron!

Would love, just love to be a fly on the wall at a H&S meeting in this country and they show that clip!
  • brogib said:

Sadly not a laughing matter Big Rob.
    Forget the weather issues, this fact alone should justify a boycott of any world cup/sporting event in Qatar.
    Boycott it, you sure? Like that's ever gonna happen. ffs
  • Guinea will be forced to move the Cup of Nations they're due to host in January 2023 if this goes ahead Nov-Dec 2022. Maybe that will convince them to stop holding this joke tournament every 2 years.

London was the first Olympics to not have a death, although someone did have a heart attack and a man was crushed on a MEWP during the construction of the new Westfield, neither count to the official figure.

I thought Sochi was really bad...
  • colthe3rd said:

I like the idea of a Winter World Cup

I knew that you would.

London was the first Olympics to not have a death, although someone did have a heart attack and a man was crushed on a MEWP during the construction of the new Westfield, neither count to the official figure.

I thought Sochi was really bad...
    Interesting graph, where's it from?
    Not sure how accurate it is though, as to date they have only started construction work on 2 of the planned stadiums, and redeveloping one existing stadium. Obviously being the middle east theres a ton of construction going on all over the shop so wonder if they are just lumping figures into it from everywhere.
  • brogib said:

Wow.

Rather less scary than that but when I was in Oz 15 yrs or so ago I did some labouring for cash and remember doing a demo job for a cowboy builder. We had sledge hammers and wheel barrows and were smashing down a house from roof down!

The foreman was asleep in his car so you just had Brits who did not have a clue on site. Anyway some sort of H&S rep turned up and closed the site down as when he inspected he found a) there was asbestos running through the walls we were knocking down, b) no-one had switched off the power and c) the rubble we were chucking out a first floor window into a skip below was bouncing out all over the street!
  • I can see this decision and the fact that we (European leagues) will have to have a mid-season break and less time to play our league games, will re-raise the proposal to cut the EPL down to 18 teams (and maybe the Championship size, too or even EPL 2)

Having said that, England probably won't qualify, anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• I can see this decision and the fact that we (European leagues) will have to have a mid-season break and less time to play our league games, will re-raise the proposal to cut the EPL down to 18 teams (and maybe the Championship size, too or even EPL 2)

Having said that, England probably won't qualify, anyway

How serious are proposals to cut the League sizes? I think 20 and 24 are too big and reckon 5 tiers of 18 teams each in the Football League would be much better. They'd have to introduce more cup fixtures though to make up for the loss in guaranteed gate receipts from a minimum number of league games. Unrelated but I do think there are too many mid-week league games.
  • other countries manage to have it the world cup in the middle of their seasons so why not us?
  • MrOneLung said:

other countries manage to have it the world cup in the middle of their seasons so why not us?

How many of those leagues are high-profile or have any of the world's best players in them?
  • MrOneLung said:

other countries manage to have it the world cup in the middle of their seasons so why not us?

Its only really the United States and their squad (where all but three players play in the MLS) that get affected by the World Cup.

Trouble the main trouble is granted Europe

- With 14 countries that Qualify its the largest continent at the World Cup
    - Biggest Euro Nations: Germany / Spain / France / Italy / England all their players will be coming from the European Club Teams / Leagues
    - Biggest World Nations: Argentina / Brazil etc... all their players will be coming from the European Club Teams / Leagues

- Granted some countries in Europe break during Winter and play in Summer but thats: Republic of Ireland / Norway etc.. so should either of those two countries qualify the majority of their players wont be coming from the Irish / Norwegian Leagues etc.. so shouldnt hamper their national team / club
  • As Gary Neville said, it would be once every 24 years or so to hold a world cup in that area, so is it really an issue?
  • colthe3rd said:

I like the idea of a Winter World Cup

I knew that you would.
    Eh?
  • Thank God it is in Qatar then !!!
  • MrOneLung said:

As Gary Neville said, it would be once every 24 years or so to hold a world cup in that area, so is it really an issue?

If we were disrupting the calendar to accomodate a country that genuinely deserved to host the cup, then fair enough. However we're talking about disrupting nearly every major league as well as disrupting things like the Africa Cup of Nations for a country that:

has no major league
    has no football history
    has a horrible human rights record
    likely won the vote through underhanded means
    has a growing death toll in relation to hosting this tournament

I surprised FIFA hasn't realised that the aggro really isn't worth it and having a u-turn now would be the first bit of good PR it would've had for several years.