Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options

Footballs coming home?

Reports over the past day or two (mainly from Germany) that Qatar will have the 2022 World Cup taken away. With England the most likely replacement.

England would be great but if it's replaced with a reasonable location that can be played in the summer I don't care where it ends up!

It will never happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

They hate us. They would rather play it at the South Pole. Fuck em an the horse they rode in on.

Would be great if they did strip Qatar of the WC, said they wanted to switch it to the UK and the FA told them to go and fuck themselves.
    Trouble is you are relying on the FA being a paragon of honesty, honour and pride.

They'd be on it like a car bonnet. The stench of cash would cause a stampede.
  • Options
    Move on please, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

The old chestnut about moving it to winter in Qatar hasn't come up lately.

That's already confirmed. 22 November to 18 December 2022.
  • Options

In Football Manager it always gets moved to Australia!

I think a World Cup in Australia would be really good.

Except for kick off times!
  • Options

In a way am looking forward to the 2022 World Cup as really want to see how bad it'll be out there

It'll be fine. It's not the sort of destination that's going to attract hooliganism, so they don't need to worry about that.

It won't be a fun tournament to attend, but they have an infinite budget to ensure it runs smoothly. Brazil and South Africa spent about $3 - $4 billion on hosting it, Qatar is expected to spend around $220 billion.

You'd think there might be a chance that they'd struggle to sell tickets for it, but Russia is a nightmare to get around, fairly expensive and, rightly or wrongly, suffers from a globally-shared negative reputation for a variety of reasons. Nevertheless, most of the games in Russia next year are over-subscribed.

They're not gonna spend all that money and allow themselves to look stupid.
  • Options
    I’d love it to be here but there’s more chance of us winning the div one title.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

iaitch said:

I actually think a winter World Cup, with players at their full peak fitness, will be great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

MrLargo said:

iaitch said:

I actually think a winter World Cup, with players at their full peak fitness, will be great.
    But then that would be one less excuse for us when we fail dismally.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

iaitch said:

Well I didn't know that, thanks, should screw up all the European Leagues.
  • Options
    How long before the World Cup will club teams need to stop?
    And how long after the World Cup will players get before the season restarts?

Potentially looking at 3 years off adjusted seasons.
    Season before perhaps needs to finish early in order for 2022/2023 to star earlier. Then if the season finishes later it could lead to the following season starting later too.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

In a way am looking forward to the 2022 World Cup as really want to see how bad it'll be out there

It'll be fine. It's not the sort of destination that's going to attract hooliganism, so they don't need to worry about that.

It won't be a fun tournament to attend, but they have an infinite budget to ensure it runs smoothly. Brazil and South Africa spent about $3 - $4 billion on hosting it, Qatar is expected to spend around $220 billion.

You'd think there might be a chance that they'd struggle to sell tickets for it, but Russia is a nightmare to get around, fairly expensive and, rightly or wrongly, suffers from a globally-shared negative reputation for a variety of reasons. Nevertheless, most of the games in Russia next year are over-subscribed.

$220 billion???? That’s disgusting.
  • Options
    They can afford it, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Stadiums are coming along nicely here, massive road and rail infrastructure also ongoing.
    Had Greg Clarke (FA Chairman) over here this month looking at facilities etc and was publicly very supportive (no surprises). Seems the security will be handled by a UK firm too.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

iaitch said:

Imagine watching the World cup with a Christmas tree in the room. Strange days.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

They can afford it, unfortunately.

How much use will the stadiums get after the WC?
  • Options
    You're gonna tell me its too hot as well aren't you...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    MrLargo said:

Surely the amount they've already spent is reason enough why it won't get moved?

Can't let them spend billions then take it away from them!!

To me it's only really fans that are complaining. Will the players (especially those who play in cold european countries) really care at getting to spend 2/3/4 weeks playing football in a warm climate?

And yes i know it's the fans that watch it, but people are still going to watch the world cup, regardless of when and where it's played.
  • Options

The legal ramifications taking it from Qatar would be huge... Not to mention the fact that Qatar could hire the best lawyers.

No chance of it being moved

How would they enforce any punishment though, FA? FIFA just tells Qatar to go fuck itself - what are they going to do, send the bailiffs round to Zurich and confiscate Infanto's dome polish? :lol:

• Options

You're gonna tell me its too hot as well aren't you...

You can turn a blind eye to it all and it can be dressed up as much as they want but it's all just a corrupt sham built on gross exploitation. World cup in December ffs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/world-cup-2022-qatars-workers-slaves-building-mausoleums-stadiums-modern-slavery-kafala-a7980816.html?amp
    No blind eye here, not a perfect place at all. See first hand some of the issues, also see some of the positive goings on too. Have read that article before, just read it again, and agree with it in parts, but some other parts seem sensationalised to promote reaction a la Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Don't think having the World Cup in December is actually a bad thing myself.
  • Options

Don't think having the World Cup in December is actually a bad thing myself.

On what basis, QN?
  • Options
    A change up. Mid season for North hemisphere and end of season for South hemisphere would maybe end the complaints of player burn-out etc we hear as reasons for failure.
  • Options
    Maybe greater chance of players in form/keeping form??
  • Options
    More hope Redbull will but Charlton
  • Options
    Every team on the planet fails, apart from one, so some excuse will have to be trotted out for 31 other teams, and I really don't think a lack of complaints from journalists/managers is a terribly strong reason for a December world cup.
    Players in form late in the calendar year? Well, it works for Charlton every December obviously... :wink:

Total disruption for almost all the major leagues, certainly the ones where 99% of the major players are plying their trade. Leagues where they have a winter break are going to lose the best part of 10 weeks in the middle of the season. Presumably the lower leagues will continue to play, so crowds will probably be affected?
    And, the big one - they applied on the basis that the world cup is played in June/July. They lied about their capability.