Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options

There is only one country that can really host a 48-team Cup (excluding dictatorships wasting citizens money building one-time use stadiums)... the USA. So I think the future is regions of countries coming together hosting it from now on.

Not really. The big european countries can host it, as could China, Japan and maybe even Australia.
  • Options

There is only one country that can really host a 48-team Cup (excluding dictatorships wasting citizens money building one-time use stadiums)... the USA. So I think the future is regions of countries coming together hosting it from now on.

So why did the USA get two other countries involved?
    Only because by adding Mexico and Canada, we suckered FIFA into not saying "no" to two countries they like. If it had been just the USA, we would have lost just due to Trump, alone.
  • Options

i think there are usually four international breaks during a season - correct me if I am wrong. The problem is, you are going to need a couple to prep for the world cup, but that gives you two weeks. Then you start the season two weeks early and end it two weeks late. There will be no summer tournament so the players will get a break - the following season could start a week later!

Anyway - it wont be perfect, but I'm sure something can be worked out.

but why do all that when you can have the status quo by not moving it to the winter ??

if it aint broke don't fix it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Only because by adding Mexico and Canada, we suckered FIFA into not saying "no" to two countries they like. If it had been just the USA, we would have lost just due to Trump, alone.
    Not really. Trump's veiled threats about the political consequences were not treated that seriously by FIFA - the narcissist in chief tweeted: "The U.S. has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup. It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don’t support us (including at the United Nations)?"

Damage already done by then.

Also FIFA didn't allow the CAF president to make a presentation to his own federation supporting a bid from his own federation, but the leader of the US/Can/Mex bid was allowed to address the council of Southern Africa Football Associations to support their bid.

Bottom line is the North American bid promised more profit for FIFA.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Nug said:

I must be the only one who thinks watching the World Cup in the winter for one tournament might be fun. Couldn’t give a toss about the PL. Now whether Qatar should be hosting it is another question.

What if we’re there by then? :wink:

How many international breaks for friendlies or qualifiers are there usually in a season? 3 or so? They should be the first to go and would claw back 3 weeks worth of league fixtures. Then probably need to find an extra 4 or so weeks from there by extending the season i'd say.

Will be interesting to see what championship/league 1 do though, particularly if there is a lot of snow in Jan/Feb which could cause further chaos!

Seen it said that the premier league season will apparently need to start 3 weeks earlier and will end 3 weeks later. Which obviously also impacts on the season before it and the season after.

We're the worst affected major league as we don't (yet) have a winter break. The other leagues will just double up their winter break as the 'recovery' time for teams after the tournament ends and just pick up again from mid-January.
    We (well the PL) will have a winter break by the next WC, the issue being it is not the same as other countries as instead of literally all teams getting the same two weeks, the PL is spreading it out so there is still games on each week I believe, which obviously won't work for the WC year.

My other concern is i don't think fifa are going to be prepared to help the leagues out by not having international breaks either, I certainly wouldn't put it past them anyway...

Either way the various leagues will have to find at least 6 weeks I'd say. It's a real mess and won't be an easy fix. Could easily see one or both of the cups being cancelled for that year which would be very risky and unpopular. Hope I'm wrong and/or being pessimistic.
    6 weeks can easily be made up though.

Season 21-22 ends end of April.
    Season 22-23 starts mid July. Ends end of May.
    Season 23-24 starts end of August
    Will mean moving transfer windows as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Nug said:

I must be the only one who thinks watching the World Cup in the winter for one tournament might be fun. Couldn’t give a toss about the PL. Now whether Qatar should be hosting it is another question.

What if we’re there by then? :wink:

How many international breaks for friendlies or qualifiers are there usually in a season? 3 or so? They should be the first to go and would claw back 3 weeks worth of league fixtures. Then probably need to find an extra 4 or so weeks from there by extending the season i'd say.

Will be interesting to see what championship/league 1 do though, particularly if there is a lot of snow in Jan/Feb which could cause further chaos!

Seen it said that the premier league season will apparently need to start 3 weeks earlier and will end 3 weeks later. Which obviously also impacts on the season before it and the season after.

We're the worst affected major league as we don't (yet) have a winter break. The other leagues will just double up their winter break as the 'recovery' time for teams after the tournament ends and just pick up again from mid-January.
    We (well the PL) will have a winter break by the next WC, the issue being it is not the same as other countries as instead of literally all teams getting the same two weeks, the PL is spreading it out so there is still games on each week I believe, which obviously won't work for the WC year.

My other concern is i don't think fifa are going to be prepared to help the leagues out by not having international breaks either, I certainly wouldn't put it past them anyway...

Either way the various leagues will have to find at least 6 weeks I'd say. It's a real mess and won't be an easy fix. Could easily see one or both of the cups being cancelled for that year which would be very risky and unpopular. Hope I'm wrong and/or being pessimistic.
    6 weeks can easily be made up though.

Season 21-22 ends end of April.
    Season 22-23 starts mid July. Ends end of May.
    Season 23-24 starts end of August
    Will mean moving transfer windows as well.
    That's the least of the concerns frankly.
  • Options

Not really. Trumps veiled threats about the political consequences to were not treated that seriously by FIFA - the narcissist in chief tweeted: "The U.S. has put together a STRONG bid w/ Canada & Mexico for the 2026 World Cup. It would be a shame if countries that we always support were to lobby against the U.S. bid. Why should we be supporting these countries when they don’t support us (including at the United Nations)?"

Damage already done by then.

Also FIFA didn't allow the CAF president to make a presentation to his own federation supporting a bid from his own federation, but the leader of the US/Can/Mex bid was allowed to address the council of Southern Africa Football Associations to support their bid.

Bottom line is the North American bid handed more cash to officers of FIFA.

Fixed it for you

• Options
    Ross said:

Will all leagues be stopped during the World Cup? Or will League One and below continue to play if they haven’t got any international players?

Hopefully that will be of no interest to us!
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how many fans would go to Qatar. Is it an interesting place? Can't imagine a lot of bars, assume drinking is allowed there but probably quite expensive.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Be interesting to see how many fans would go to Qatar. Is it an interesting place? Can't imagine a lot of bars, assume drinking is allowed there but probably quite expensive.

There's an amazing market and alcohol is available, although heavily restricted.
  • Options

They all drink. Effes is very popular

Some drink. Heineken & Red Horse (8%) is very popular.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    Met up with a few Charlton boys back in 2009/10 when England played Brazil out here. They had a whale of a time at the Ritz Hotel pool bar if i remember rightly.
  • Options
    Qatar will be playing in next year's Copa America....
  • Options

Qatar will be playing in next year's Copa America....

They will be heavily embarrassed.

This is a side who in the past year have been beaten by Syria, China, Liechtenstein, Curacao and Iraq.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How did they get invited to that then?

Was a lot of money involved or is it for purely football reasons so they can improve before their own world cup?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Was a lot of money involved or is it for purely football reasons so they can improve before their own world cup?

It will be a scouting mission to see if they can naturalise some South American talent.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    iaitch said:

There are usually a couple of other sides who get invited. Japan are also playing in it next year.
    Mexico often play in it, so do Jamaica. But yeah i'd imagine they've paid CONMEBOL some decent money so they can take part and test themselves.
  • Options

iaitch said:

There are usually a couple of other sides who get invited. Japan are also playing in it next year.
    Mexico often play in it, so do Jamaica. But yeah i'd imagine they've paid CONMEBOL some decent money so they can take part and test themselves.
    Think I saw Mexico have played everytime since 1993 when invited teams were allowed apart from 2019
  • Options

iaitch said:

It will be a scouting mission to see if they can naturalise some South American talent.
    So just like the Qatari athletics team that's full of Somalis, Ethiopians etc.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Think I saw Mexico have played everytime since 1993 when invited teams were allowed apart from 2019
    Mexico can't play in it next year as it runs the same time as the CONCACAF Gold Cup
  • Options
    iaitch said:

iaitch said:

So just like the Qatari athletics team that's full of Somalis, Ethiopians etc.
    Not really. Many indigenous athletes competing for Qatar, although they are not helped by the non-recognition of the mother's nationality.
  • Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa-strips-qatar-of-confederations-cup-1.2973534

"The Confederations Cup, considered an important dress rehearsal, will not be held in Qatar in the lead-up to the 2022 World Cup, FIFA announced"

They can't play Confed Cup in Qatar in the summer and they can't move another European season to accommodate it so it will be hosted by a completely different Asian country.
  • Options

Are we really going to need an 80k seat stadium for a group match between Hungary and Saudi Arabia?

In the USA, that would sell out in 45 minutes.

Remember that in a little town called Ann Arbor, Michigan, they sell out 110,000 seats for a crappy pre-season friendly with Real Madrid every year. And Michigan is not even big enough to get a venue for a World Cup.