Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options
    and I assume we will still be playing games during that period in National League, Southern Division?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    What are the temperatures going to be for the revised period - anybody know? It is ridiculous, but it could actually be a positive for England playing mid season! You would imagine the solution is to start the season around two weeks earlier and end it two weeks later and have a break for everybody in the middle.
  • Options

What are the temperatures going to be for the revised period - anybody know? It is ridiculous, but it could actually be a positive for England playing mid season! You would imagine the solution is to start the season around two weeks earlier and end it two weeks later and have a break for everybody in the middle.

Average temps for December show as between 17 - 26 degrees.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Average temps for December show as between 17 - 26 degrees.
    Not too bad then.
  • Options
    How many international breaks for friendlies or qualifiers are there usually in a season? 3 or so? They should be the first to go and would claw back 3 weeks worth of league fixtures. Then probably need to find an extra 4 or so weeks from there by extending the season i'd say.

Will be interesting to see what championship/league 1 do though, particularly if there is a lot of snow in Jan/Feb which could cause further chaos!
  • Options
    The world cup on tv will impact on attendances I would imagine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So 2018 will be the last world cup proper

2022 in the desert in winter

2026 48 teams in three countries

Hopefully then back to England in 2030 to do it properly
  • Options
    Don't think the World Cup will ever be the same once it becomes 48 teams. You'll have teams playing for draws in both of their group games hoping to get to the knockout round of 32.

It'll be a nonsense group stage IMO. A bit like Euro 2016 was... Portugal getting through with three draws comes to mind.
  • Options
    Fuck sake. Only 4 and a half years until england make another semi
  • Options

Don't think the World Cup will ever be the same once it becomes 48 teams. You'll have teams playing for draws in both of their group games hoping to get to the knockout round of 32.

It'll be a nonsense group stage IMO. A bit like Euro 2016 was... Portugal getting through with three draws comes to mind.

Read somewhere that FIFA are potentially looking at penalties in group stages so there can’t be draws.

Some mathematician has modelled how easy it would be for the teams playing in the final game of each group to fix the result / deliberately draw to eliminate the other team.
  • Options
    Good point - that is ridiculous.
  • Options

How many international breaks for friendlies or qualifiers are there usually in a season? 3 or so? They should be the first to go and would claw back 3 weeks worth of league fixtures. Then probably need to find an extra 4 or so weeks from there by extending the season i'd say.

Will be interesting to see what championship/league 1 do though, particularly if there is a lot of snow in Jan/Feb which could cause further chaos!

Seen it said that the premier league season will apparently need to start 3 weeks earlier and will end 3 weeks later. Which obviously also impacts on the season before it and the season after.

We're the worst affected major league as we don't (yet) have a winter break. The other leagues will just double up their winter break as the 'recovery' time for teams after the tournament ends and just pick up again from mid-January.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Read somewhere that FIFA are potentially looking at penalties in group stages so there can’t be draws.

Some mathematician has modelled how easy it would be for the teams playing in the final game of each group to fix the result / deliberately draw to eliminate the other team.
    Should have just left it alone given the fixed 'we both go through' results weren't an issue.
  • Options

Seen it said that the premier league season will apparently need to start 3 weeks earlier and will end 3 weeks later. Which obviously also impacts on the season before it and the season after.

We're the worst affected major league as we don't (yet) have a winter break. The other leagues will just double up their winter break as the 'recovery' time for teams after the tournament ends and just pick up again from mid-January.
    We (well the PL) will have a winter break by the next WC, the issue being it is not the same as other countries as instead of literally all teams getting the same two weeks, the PL is spreading it out so there is still games on each week I believe, which obviously won't work for the WC year.

My other concern is i don't think fifa are going to be prepared to help the leagues out by not having international breaks either, I certainly wouldn't put it past them anyway...

Either way the various leagues will have to find at least 6 weeks I'd say. It's a real mess and won't be an easy fix. Could easily see one or both of the cups being cancelled for that year which would be very risky and unpopular. Hope I'm wrong and/or being pessimistic.
  • Options
    We haven’t qualified yet
  • Options
    what happens if you are not in the Premiership but have players at the WC ?? Will it be the 3 player rule as it is now or will teams get special dispensation if they only have 1 player away as the player could be away for over a month.

Did Teresa May just take over at FIFA as it starting to resemble the Brexit fuckfest. Surely someone has to make a stand & tell FIFA to shove it. Would only take The PL or La Liga to say they aren't co-operating for it to start to unravel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A european team will NOT win 2022 World Cup
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Would never happen as no FA would have the balls and it would need to be all of them but...it would be perfect if all the European nations (or others too) just said fuck it to Fifa and arranged their own tournament for the summer and boycotted the World Cup.

I think FIFA would be forced to change if ALL major nations backed each other.

Like I say. Would never happen. But we can dream
  • Options

A european team will NOT win 2022 World Cup

• Options

what happens if you are not in the Premiership but have players at the WC ?? Will it be the 3 player rule as it is now or will teams get special dispensation if they only have 1 player away as the player could be away for over a month.

Did Teresa May just take over at FIFA as it starting to resemble the Brexit fuckfest. Surely someone has to make a stand & tell FIFA to shove it. Would only take The PL or La Liga to say they aren't co-operating for it to start to unravel.

Holy shit I'm agreeing with golfie! Actually he's agreeing with me, or we have a mutually similar idea... or something.

I have said since the Qatar vote that all it needs is England, Germany, Spain and Italy to say f*** you, and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.
  • Options
    necessity is the mother of invention.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    i think there are usually four international breaks during a season - correct me if I am wrong. The problem is, you are going to need a couple to prep for the world cup, but that gives you two weeks. Then you start the season two weeks early and end it two weeks late. There will be no summer tournament so the players will get a break - the following season could start a week later!

Anyway - it wont be perfect, but I'm sure something can be worked out.
  • Options

We (well the PL) will have a winter break by the next WC, the issue being it is not the same as other countries as instead of literally all teams getting the same two weeks, the PL is spreading it out so there is still games on each week I believe, which obviously won't work for the WC year.

My other concern is i don't think fifa are going to be prepared to help the leagues out by not having international breaks either, I certainly wouldn't put it past them anyway...

Either way the various leagues will have to find at least 6 weeks I'd say. It's a real mess and won't be an easy fix. Could easily see one or both of the cups being cancelled for that year which would be very risky and unpopular. Hope I'm wrong and/or being pessimistic.
    6 weeks can easily be made up though.

Season 21-22 ends end of April.
    Season 22-23 starts mid July. Ends end of May.
    Season 23-24 starts end of August
  • Options
    Will all leagues be stopped during the World Cup? Or will League One and below continue to play if they haven’t got any international players?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Will all leagues be stopped during the World Cup? Or will League One and below continue to play if they haven’t got any international players?

Dealing with England and Charlton losing at same time.....
    FML.