Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:

Be interesting to see how many fans would go to Qatar. Is it an interesting place? Can't imagine a lot of bars, assume drinking is allowed there but probably quite expensive.

be interesting to see how many fan parks there are in the UK in mid-december...

how many works xmas parties are going to be hijacked & turned into a World Cup party or the event changed at the last minute to a place that is showing football. A lot of pissed off & disgruntled office workers I suspect......not everyone likes football.....esp at xmas when people have other things on their mind.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    WC has always been a summer tournament & was bid on such a premise. Now FIFA want to change 80 years of history because the country hosting it doesn't have the climate.

I'm just waiting for Greenland to bid for the 2030 one.
  • Options

Qatar will be playing in next year's Copa America....

They've chosen the wrong competition to get experience.

Should have entered the Checkatrade Trophy
  • Options

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa-strips-qatar-of-confederations-cup-1.2973534

"The Confederations Cup, considered an important dress rehearsal, will not be held in Qatar in the lead-up to the 2022 World Cup, FIFA announced"

They can't play Confed Cup in Qatar in the summer and they can't move another European season to accommodate it so it will be hosted by a completely different Asian country.

That renders the whole thing utterly pointless then, doesn't it? I though the idea was that it was a "soft launch" for the World Cup - if it's not in the same f***ing country it's a waste of time.
  • Options
    Just found this online from the Sports Illustrated site:

FIFA president Gianni Infantino is looking to continue his complete overhaul of international football with a proposed new tournament that will replace the Confederations Cup.
    In a letter received by Reuters, Infantino lays out plans for the project that is currently only titled ‘Final 8.’ The tournament would be a direct follow on from the upcoming Nations League, taking place every two years as of October and/or November 2021.

The Confederations Cup is a trophy competed for by the seven current reigning continental or world champions and a host nation, in every odd year following a round of continental tournaments. Teams qualify by winning either UEFA European Championship, CAF Cup of Nations, CONCACAF Gold Cup, CONMEBOL Copa America, OFC Nations Cup, AFC Asian Cup or FIFA World Cup.

The next tournament is currently scheduled to take place in Qatar 2021 but that could now be scrapped in favour of the new format. With dwindling interest in the tournament, Infantino believes an overhaul could prove popular and reportedly already has a ‘solid and serious’ group of investors ready to spend up to $25 billion on it.

The letter did not clearly indicate how qualification will work or how many slots would be allocated to each region. It will serve as a climax to the Nations League though, so it is likely the winner of each respective league will qualify for the new competition.

Infantino still hasn’t been able to roll out his Nations League reform worldwide but European body UEFA and their North American counterparts CONCACAF have already set up leagues in their regions.
    The Nations League will see all international teams separated into leagues, in a format similar to domestic football. Teams are allocated a league based on their FIFA World Ranking, with a cycle of promotions and relegations at the end of each season.

Leagues are broken into four mini-leagues, with the winner of each competing in a playoff to determine the overall league champion.

Whilst specific details are still unknown, it is believed that any governing body that doesn’t adopt the Nations League approach, would be ineligible for qualification to the new competition.
    Plans are still very much a formative phase, the letter in question is actually no more than a proposal to FIFA’s decision-making Council. Infantino has had good success with his reforms so far though and looks likely to press ahead with this new idea.
  • Options
    Going to be a rubbish tournament if teams are only allowed to be involved if their Governing Body has adopted the approach

Guess it'll be a one off match between the winners of the UEFA and CONCACAF Nation Leagues at the moment
  • Options

Are we really going to need an 80k seat stadium for a group match between Hungary and Saudi Arabia?

In the USA, that would sell out in 45 minutes.

Remember that in a little town called Ann Arbor, Michigan, they sell out 110,000 seats for a crappy pre-season friendly with Real Madrid every year. And Michigan is not even big enough to get a venue for a World Cup.
    Real Madrid is a different story to Hungary and Saudi Arabia though. Even if it is just a pre season friendly.
  • Options
    A World Cup in the winter will be brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

A World Cup in the winter will be brilliant.

As long as Swansea can enter their under 21 team
  • Options

WC has always been a summer tournament & was bid on such a premise. Now FIFA want to change 80 years of history because the country hosting it doesn't have the climate.

Was it bid on that premise that it is held in the Northern hemisphere summer? The only reason it is traditionally held then was because it was born out of the summer Olympics. There are a lot of reasons to bash why Qatar got the rights to host it bit the climate of the country isn't one of them. Football is a global sport and as such we shouldn't penalise any country because their climate in the months of June and July isn't ideal playing conditions.
  • Options
    Nothing dodgy to see here... move on!

(Sepp Blater - Lifetime President of the Zurich Manilla Envelope Corporation)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    colthe3rd said:

Was it bid on that premise that it is held in the Northern hemisphere summer? The only reason it is traditionally held then was because it was born out of the summer Olympics. There are a lot of reasons to bash why Qatar got the rights to host it bit the climate of the country isn't one of them. Football is a global sport and as such we shouldn't penalise any country because their climate in the months of June and July isn't ideal playing conditions.
    Yes, it was. They were quite adamant about it at the time and Qatar’s bid included the fantasy that they were building stadiums with air-conditioning which would make it comfortable for players & fans.

That idea (that this would be enough) was conveniently dropped as soon as they won the bid and there was then no alternative to move it to a cooler month (still needing air-con).
  • Options
    Something I hadn't considered is what happens to the Football League when the World Cup is going on

It seems likely that the Championship will take a short break during part of the WC, whereas L1 and L2 will continue as normally. I'm not sure what gates would be like if there was a clash with a tasty WC match though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45018023
  • Options

Something I hadn't considered is what happens to the Football League when the World Cup is going on

It seems likely that the Championship will take a short break during part of the WC, whereas L1 and L2 will continue as normally. I'm not sure what gates would be like if there was a clash with a tasty WC match though.

Do you think anyone at FA or EFL will care
  • Options

As an addick I wouldn’t worry too much about that.
    We’d be too excited looking forward to our up and coming local derby against Greenwich Borough in a crucial six pointer game in a relegation battle in the conference south.
  • Options
    The timing of the Qata World Cup is going to bugger up my choir practice ;o)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

The timing of the catarrh World Cup is going to bugger up my choir practice ;o)

Corrected
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to give Qatar credit for Winning the Asian Cup
    A competition with Japan, South Korea, Australlia, Iran and Saudi Arabia they have performed well to win it for the 1st time

Either that or they handed out massive Brown Envelopes to win
  • Options
    3-1 up with five mins to go... not quite there yet
  • Options
    Is their squad made up of lots of foreign born players that have been naturalised so that they can play for the national team? It might be someone else that I’m thinking of that had done this.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Is their squad made up of lots of foreign born players that have been naturalised so that they can play for the national team? It might be someone else that I’m thinking of that had done this.

Don't they do that in Athletics as well?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    se9addick said:

I've often wondered if they'll do this ahead of their World Cup in four years yet to be fair to them looking at their squad for the Asian Cup the majority were born in Qatar

Portugal | France | Algeria | Iraq are where the four were born outside of the country

Nothing to say those four arent still Qatari though what with the amount of people that have migrated from the Middle East region over the years
  • Options
    se9addick said:

They have 3-4 foreigners who've gained Qatari nationality but most of them are actually Qatari. Their star player (Almoez) who ended the tournament with 9 goals and must be the most exciting young player in Asian football right now, was born in Sudan but moved to Qatar as a kid.
  • Options

se9addick said:

They have 3-4 foreigners who've gained Qatari nationality but most of them are actually Qatari. Their star player (Almoez) who ended the tournament with 9 goals and must be the most exciting young player in Asian football right now, was born in Sudan but moved to Qatar as a kid.
    I guess he's one of the players that the UAE are unhappy with after Qatar beat them 4-0; the former apparently lodged a complaint over his eligibility

Although if the Confederations Cup is going ahead will it be Japan who get the Asian spot as Qatar have taken two places now what with being World Cup hosts and Asian Cup winners
  • Options

se9addick said:

Ireland?
    Wales!

They’ve pinched loads of English players over the last few years