Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA say the Qatar vote was fine, honest

Comments

• Options
    That's because the English players can't get a game because of all the South Sea islanders in the team.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Is their squad made up of lots of foreign born players that have been naturalised so that they can play for the national team? It might be someone else that I’m thinking of that had done this.

Ireland?
    Wales!

They’ve pinched loads of English players over the last few years
    Yeah they've gotten bloody cheeky over it of late by calling up 17 / 18 year olds to tie them down to the Welsh team and so stop England from able to call them up.

The lad who has just left Man City for Schalke for £10m is an example of that; has a Welsh cap yet born in Liverpool...?
  • Options
    Now now, no sour grapes... we are about to embark on Six Nations time , celebrated by all English haters with chips on their shoulders everywhere.

Qatar my arse! should stick to camel racing.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Is their squad made up of lots of foreign born players that have been naturalised so that they can play for the national team? It might be someone else that I’m thinking of that had done this.

Ireland?
    Wales!

They’ve pinched loads of English players over the last few years

The lad who has just left Man City for Schalke for £10m is an example of that; has a Welsh cap yet born in Liverpool...?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    se9addick said:

I thought the same but it's only about three or four that aren't from Qatar. Could be different by the World Cup though.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I thought the same but it's only about three or four that aren't from Qatar. Could be different by the World Cup though.
    It won't be. Qatar's FA decided that nationalising foreigners who came to play in Qatar in their late 20s/early 30s wasn't going to work long term, so generally they scrapped that idea. They have a young squad now and 14 of their Asian cup squad is under 25.
  • Options
    Very pleased that Japan lost the final. :smiley: It was surprising though.
  • Options

Not a bad day out to be fair

se9addick said:

It won't be. Qatar's FA decided that nationalising foreigners who came to play in Qatar in their late 20s/early 30s wasn't going to work long term, so generally they scrapped that idea. They have a young squad now and 14 of their Asian cup squad is under 25.
    Yes very true, its been about 14 years in the making, and came under criticism for not producing anything footballwise, but theres a massive feelgood factor here recently with the football. The national team beat Switzerland and Iceland late last year in the lead up to the Asian Cup, and it was thought making it to the semis would have been a successful tournament (having never made it past the quarters before).

Charlton connection here too...... ex Academy manager Mick Browne was the director of football at Aspire Academy and would have overseen a lot of these boys in their earlier years, and Jose Riga also came in to coach for a couple of years too.

• Options

se9addick said:

Yes very true, its been about 14 years in the making, and came under criticism for not producing anything footballwise, but theres a massive feelgood factor here recently with the football. The national team beat Switzerland and Iceland late last year in the lead up to the Asian Cup, and it was thought making it to the semis would have been a successful tournament (having never made it past the quarters before).

Charlton connection here too...... ex Academy manager Mick Browne was the director of football at Aspire Academy and would have overseen a lot of these boys in their earlier years, and Jose Riga also came in to coach for a couple of years too.

So, do you expect Qatar to lift the draconian new alcohol duty rise in time for the World Cup? Cost me £30 for a beer and a red wine in the W in mid-Jan!
  • Options
    We can only hope so!! Its come down 15% already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I love it when the Qatar Appreciation Society pops up on here with another tourist advert for a repressive regime that treats women like second class citizens, uses indentured slave labour to build stadiums in a desert and whitewashes its record of torture, human rights abuse and religious fundamentalism through a steady program of purchasing and sponsoring sporting and cultural organisations around the rest of the world...

To be fair, that's why Napsy went to Qatar in the first place - sounds very much like his kind of town ......
  • Options

Ive got the spare room ready whenever you want to visit Leroy ;)

Nah, I'm alright thanks
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

se9addick said:

So, do you expect Qatar to lift the draconian new alcohol duty rise in time for the World Cup? Cost me £30 for a beer and a red wine in the W in mid-Jan!
    Lucky you, we were there during Ramadan....1st drink we got was on the plane to Sri Lanka.
  • Options
    Noticed the other day that Infantino is suggesting that North / South Korea host the Women's World Cup together

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/05/north-and-south-korea-joint-womens-world-cup-bid-would-be-great-fifa

Now I'm for all the work that Korea is doing by having unity with the joint teams at the Olympics etc. but to actually let North Korea host a tournament on the World stage? - Am sorry but this proves that replacing Blatter isnt the problem @ FIFA... that organisation needs a bloody reform from top to bottom if it goes through!!
  • Options
    Is FIFA demanding that Qatar treat gay football fans with respect or is it policy to ignore this issue?
  • Options
    Totally shocked!😧
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Noticed the other day that Infantino is suggesting that North / South Korea host the Women's World Cup together

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/05/north-and-south-korea-joint-womens-world-cup-bid-would-be-great-fifa

Now I'm for all the work that Korea is doing by having unity with the joint teams at the Olympics etc. but to actually let North Korea host a tournament on the World stage? - Am sorry but this proves that replacing Blatter isnt the problem @ FIFA... that organisation needs a bloody reform from top to bottom if it goes through!!
    So that's where KM's been hiding out...FIFA offices
  • Options

To be fair, it's more sensible than the first FIFA proposal for the North and South Poles to host the women's world cup together.
  • Options

"A spokesman for beIN said the award of the FIFA World Cup television rights had been 'investigated extensively and no wrongdoing has been found concerning our involvement"

Who did the investigation? It was probably FIFA!

"FIFA have refused to comment on these latest allegations"

i wonder why.

• Options
    edited March 2019

FIFA replacing the Confederations Cup with a "Club World Cup". European clubs threatening to boycott.

I notice snuck into the article they are also considering expanding to 48 teams early in 2022.
  • Options

• Options
    Crooks
  • Options
    Where's 'A'?
  • Options
    Where's 'A'?

Opposite end to 'O'
  • Options
    Does anybody care anymore? These things keep being brought up but we all know it was rigged, tbh as soon as the tournament starts I really won't give a shit and I suspect a large proportion of those watching won't either.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Does anybody care anymore? These things keep being brought up but we all know it was rigged, tbh as soon as the tournament starts I really won't give a shit and I suspect a large proportion of those watching won't either.

Not really a question of not caring, more a case of what's the point in getting angry? FIFA - despite many of its elite either being under investigation (or actually convicted of criminal misconduct), thumbs its nose at the world. It has been proven to be a corrupt organisation not fit for purpose but little changes. When members are removed/fined/sent to prison it soon becomes clear that their replacements are no better then the ones that have been removed. No doubt the Qatar vote was rigged but it will go ahead.