Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gudmondsson and Coquelin...

Comments

• Options
    Technically, Andy Reid will take some beating.
  • Options

Adjarevic was very technically good! At eating.

• Options

Gudmundsson & Reid are the two stand out players in recent years but neither can hold a light to Claus Jensen, the most skillfully player I have seen in a charlton shirt since his fellow countryman Alan Simonsen graced the valley turf.

I'd include Di Canio in that as well.
  • Options
    Fuller as said above
  • Options
    back in the day Lawrie madden, remember him !
  • Options
    Di Canio was pretty special
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    That's not such a crazy shout @Leroy Ambrose. He wasn't such a dissimilar player to Kermorgant, just less combative. Was an absolute master at the perfectly timed running jump which meant he was able to get the better in the air of a lot of centre backs, despite giving up several inches in height. If he'd had a more prolific partner to play off him we'd have bounced straight back out of League 1 imo and he'd be better thought of as a result. As it was he was never going to score enough goals on his own.

For me though, the best since the Prem is Andy Reid. Right leg was barely good for standing on but what a wand of a left foot and so hard working, at least when we had the ball.

Receive it, give it, move, find space, receive it, give it, move, find space... repeat until you inevitably find yourself in good space in a good area and then look for the killer pass/shot. Vision and imagination, coupled with proper enthusiasm and desire. That is how, as an attacking midfielder, you can stamp your authority on a game and control matches. Maybe wasn't the best going in the other direction, but even then he was hardly Darren Ambrose in that department either.

If I was coaching young midfielders I'd show them videos of Reidy because anyone can do the hardwork bit and if you've got the vision and skills too then you'll stand out for doing both, but not enough do. He'd be so good in the current team.
  • Options
    Yann was technically perfect. If he had better players around him he would've looked prem quality.
  • Options

That's not such a crazy shout @Leroy Ambrose. He wasn't such a dissimilar player to Kermorgant, just less combative. Was an absolute master at the perfectly timed running jump which meant he was able to get the better in the air of a lot of centre backs, despite giving up several inches in height. If he'd had a more prolific partner to play off him we'd have bounced straight back out of League 1 imo and he'd be better thought of as a result. As it was he was never going to score enough goals on his own.

For me though, the best since the Prem is Andy Reid. Right leg was barely good for standing on but what a wand of a left foot and so hard working, at least when we had the ball.

Receive it, give it, move, find space, receive it, give it, move, find space... repeat until you inevitably find yourself in good space in a good area and then look for the killer pass/shot. Vision and imagination, coupled with proper enthusiasm and desire. That is how, as an attacking midfielder, you can stamp your authority on a game and control matches. Maybe wasn't the best going in the other direction, but even then he was hardly Darren Ambrose in that department either.

If I was coaching young midfielders I'd show them videos of Reidy because anyone can do the hardwork bit and if you've got the vision and skills too then you'll stand out for doing both, but not enough do. He'd be so good in the current team.

I don't think you can teach that, you either have it or you don't.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Difficult to teach some of the skills, but you can teach players to always make themselves available for a pass like Reidy did which is what I was talking about. So many midfielders are relatively static, particularly the most gifted ones, it often seems, maybe they think they don't have to work hard if they stick a 30 yarder in the top corner every few weeks (not that we have anyone really doing that either right now!). I think Jo-Berg could probably take a bit of a leaf out of Reidy's book for example.

• Options

dizzee said:

Difficult to teach some of the skills, but you can teach players to always make themselves available for a pass like Reidy did which is what I was talking about. So many midfielders are relatively static, particularly the most gifted ones, it often seems, maybe they think they don't have to work hard if they stick a 30 yarder in the top corner every few weeks (not that we have anyone really doing that either right now!). I think Jo-Berg could probably take a bit of a leaf out of Reidy's book for example.

I agree, but I don't think you can teach vision and intelligence on the ball. For example you couldn't turn Fellaini into Pirlo.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Adjarevic was very technically good!

Only for 60 minutes.
    Only for 6.0 minutes.
  • Options
    ------Hendo
    Solly TBH Beast Wiggy
    ---Coq - Buyens
    Wilson--JBG---Harriott
    -------Veto

Could be worth a go. Would be harsh on Cousins but I'd argue that Coq and Buyens were better holding players and for a double pivot you need out and out wingers
  • Options
    Andy Reid was a Prem player. We were in the prem when we got him, then got relegated. I can't stand the love this guy gets. He looked great but did nothing, absolutely nothing for us.

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

------Hendo
    Solly TBH Beast Wiggy
    ---Coq - Buyens
    Wilson--JBG---Harriott
    -------Veto

Could be worth a go. Would be harsh on Cousins but I'd argue that Coq and Buyens were better holding players and for a double pivot you need out and out wingers

Two good attacking wingers away from being a handy team
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Along with Gudmundsson and Coquelin, Reid (Andy), Shelvey, Poyet, Ajdarevic and Yann are all up there, I'm not sure there's one that stands out as a level above the rest on technical ability. Reid and Shelvey though are the two that have shown it in the Prem.

Others not mentioned I'd say Fuller, Todorov and Bougherra (for a CB) were technically pretty good and proved themselves elsewhere, though they didn't show it that often for us.

Jackson as Buyens I'd say are more players that get the best out of what they have, rather than as having as much technical ability as the names above.

In the Prem it has to be Jensen and Di Canio.

Not sure it's fair to put Buyens in the same bracket as Jackson (as much as I love him). I think Buyens has a lot of technical ability. At the beginning of the season he was a real breath of fresh air. His performance against Derby is one of the best individual performances I've seen since relegation in 07
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:

Along with Gudmundsson and Coquelin, Reid (Andy), Shelvey, Poyet, Ajdarevic and Yann are all up there, I'm not sure there's one that stands out as a level above the rest on technical ability. Reid and Shelvey though are the two that have shown it in the Prem.

Others not mentioned I'd say Fuller, Todorov and Bougherra (for a CB) were technically pretty good and proved themselves elsewhere, though they didn't show it that often for us.

Jackson as Buyens I'd say are more players that get the best out of what they have, rather than as having as much technical ability as the names above.

In the Prem it has to be Jensen and Di Canio.

Not sure it's fair to put Buyens in the same bracket as Jackson (as much as I love him). I think Buyens has a lot of technical ability. At the beginning of the season he was a real breath of fresh air. His performance against Derby is one of the best individual performances I've seen since relegation in 07
    Jackson's not technically poor though is he, he's even one of the first names mentioned in the thread.
  • Options
    Though he isn't at the top of the list, I'd like to mention Dale Stephens. Very creative on the ball if used properly and had one of the fiercest shots from distance I've seen on a Charlton player.
  • Options

i hope we can get gudmondsson an extension. Absolutely class player.

I'd rather get an extension for Coq.

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
  • Options
    Best technical player I've seen playing for us has to be Allan Simonsen, followed by Paul Walsh.
  • Options
    Probably about 15 players have been mentioned. Reckon you could add a nought on the end if it was about the technically worst players to have played for us...
  • Options
    Padoo blamed our poor second half of season results on being forced to sell Reid and he added that to his long list of reasons for a defeat, which also included "away fans sit in the wrong place".

Reid was excellent for us while he was in the Championship, as well as a perfect club man, even on his departure he detoured to go and say goodbye and thank the staff at the Valley. Contrast that with danny "big bollocks" Murphy.
  • Options

deon burton was such an underrated player for us. He had a fantastic first touch.

This!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Though he isn't at the top of the list, I'd like to mention Dale Stephens. Very creative on the ball if used properly and had one of the fiercest shots from distance I've seen on a Charlton player.

Agree. Dale is a very technically sound player. Superb goal vs Doncaster last season