Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope or Henderson

Comments

• Options
    BP confirms that Stephen Henderson will be absent on Saturday and @Popey1992 is likely to play. #cafc

BP on @Popey1992: "I thought he was one of our best players against @MillwallFC." #cafc
  • Options
    Well it seems Henderson is not fit, so Popey will start. He'll be chuffed to start against the team he supports and whose books he was once on.
  • Options
    Pope it is on Saturday then
  • Options

Well it seems Henderson is not fit, so Popey will start. He'll be chuffed to start against the team he supports and whose books he was once on.

point to prove then

• Options
    Like most others, Henderson would have been my choice if fit, but Pope is good back up. Lets hope he does well.
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

Huskaris said:

Henderson, Pope doesn't have anywhere near enough confidence yet, I think if he could get a decent stint at a league one team he will have a real chance of coming into the first team though.

The trouble with loaning him out is we then only have Phillps as back up.
    Perhaps loan them both out, Phillips to league two Pope to league one and get a loan in to sit on the bench..
    As much as that shows how catastrophically awful Thuram was, how the hell did Maiga not score there?? We're bloody lucky that the only player on the planet more incompetent that Thuram got hold of it
  • Options

Dansk_Red said:

Huskaris said:

Henderson, Pope doesn't have anywhere near enough confidence yet, I think if he could get a decent stint at a league one team he will have a real chance of coming into the first team though.

The trouble with loaning him out is we then only have Phillps as back up.
    Perhaps loan them both out, Phillips to league two Pope to league one and get a loan in to sit on the bench..
    This was the game where Yohann Thuram had one of the biggest mares I've seen a Charlton player have over 90 minutes, even though QPR didn't record a single shot on target.
  • Options

Henderson - best goalie we've had since Keily

Scott Carson was is/was better than Henderson.
    We'll agree to differ.

• Options
    I'd pick Pope , Henderson has improved from what i thought was a slightly shakey start and is doing well but I've a feeling the Pope is gonna be a special keeper and I want him to get game time as soon as possible with us
    personally don't see much in it atm and would like to see Pope inbetween the sticks but totally understand that others feel Henderson should be starting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pope, an exceptional talent, especially on crosses.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Henderson, up there as one of the best players of the season

Easy tiger, TBH, The Beast and Igor might have something to say about that but he's doing ok so far.
  • Options
    Henderson
  • Options
    As we've just got Etheridge in on a short term loan, that suggests Henderson must be out for at least a couple of weeks
  • Options

This^
  • Options
    Got to say that I didn't really appreciate Henderson fully til he was gone from the team, against Milwall the normally solid defence seemed more ponderous and not quite the slick operation we normally see. No slight against Pope who I am sure will play tomorrow and I expect will continue to get better and better but on current levels, Henderson is without doubt the better keeper overall.
  • Options
    Henderson - 1st choice keeper who did nothing to lose his spot in the team.
  • Options
    I think Pope could eventually overtake Henderson. He has good reflexes and shot stopping qualities and will hold balls that Henderson will palm away. It's how soon he improves his kicking and acquires the maturity and confidence Henderson shows. My worry is he seems to suffer from nerves.

Henderson hasn't lost his spot in the team, he is not fit.
  • Options
    This thread will probably pick up more in January when Henderson is fit?
  • Options

Who get's the nod for you for Saturday if Henderson is fit again?

Etheridge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scott Carson was is/was better than Henderson.
    We'll agree to differ.

I'll agree with Ricky
  • Options
    Whilst Fox-gate rumbles on I'd just like to say that I thought another of our youngsters, Pope, did really well yesterday. I watched the Millwall game with heart in mouth every time he went near the ball but yesterday he seemed to really grow in confidence over the 90 mins and made some solid saves culminating in a brilliant European style punched clearance towards the end of the game to relieve some of the pressure we were under.

I'd still have Henderson back next week if he's fit but it looks as though Pope is heading in the right direction and Henderson can't be complacent.
  • Options
    Hmm not sure I agree, thought he looked a bit shaky at times.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Talal said:

Absolutely, not saying he's the finished article and he needs to try and hold onto the ball when he saves but just think he deserves praise - almost two clean sheets in a row !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Talal said:

Absolutely, not saying he's the finished article and he needs to try and hold onto the ball when he saves but just think he deserves praise - almost two clean sheets in a row !
    Haha almost! Oh he's got good potential no doubt, I'd like to see him get a full season for a league one team. Maybe when Henderson's back he may go out on loan, now the prodigal son Etheridge has returned.
  • Options

I like the sound of this new bloke, Etherington..

And he can play on the wing if required.
  • Options
    Pope seemed to grow in confidence yesterday -will benefit from a run of games.
  • Options
    Pope played very well. He just doesn't yet have the "presence" that comes with experience to command his defence. I'm sure he will in time but, for now, Henderson is the more complete keeper and should get his place back.
  • Options

Pope seemed to grow in confidence yesterday -will benefit from a run of games.

Bang on.

He seems a little nervous but his positioning is superb.

The lad just needs to keep playing in order to settle down.