Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope or Henderson

13»

Comments

• Options

Pope played very well. He just doesn't yet have the "presence" that comes with experience to command his defence. I'm sure he will in time but, for now, Henderson is the more complete keeper and should get his place back.

Henderson's experience does give him the edge right now, but i wouldn't say he's 'complete'. Pope distributes the ball more quickly & effectively, and this is an important part of the modern keeper's game
  • Options
    Pope is potentially the better keeper, and he has a few games in which to prove a point. It may be that by the time Henderson is fit Bob will have a difficult decision to make.
  • Options
    Pope will be a very good goalkeeper IMO
  • Options

Pope played very well. He just doesn't yet have the "presence" that comes with experience to command his defence. I'm sure he will in time but, for now, Henderson is the more complete keeper and should get his place back.

Henderson's experience does give him the edge right now, but i wouldn't say he's 'complete'. Pope distributes the ball more quickly & effectively, and this is an important part of the modern keeper's game
    Henderson's more "complete" than Mingolet in that respect ;-)
  • Options
    Think Nick had a very solid game today and seems to be growing in confidence. On the evidence of the last few games, should he automatically relinquish the no. 1 jersey once Henderson is back? I think he's in with a shout of getting a run in the team.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Think Nick had a very solid game today and seems to be growing in confidence. On the evidence of the last few games, should he automatically relinquish the no. 1 jersey once Henderson is back? I think he's in with a shout of getting a run in the team.

He seems to be gaining confidence and could go on to be a really good keeper. He was excellent taking crosses today.

• Options
    Confidence is the key for Pope. Last season was a great experience for him. To go out on loan, there's not nearly as much pressure as for playing for "your" club, plus the fact they were not doing so well when he joined, so his confidence grew with every match.

Coming back to us, Not only is the standard so much higher, he has the added pressure of playing for the club that pay his wages and decide whether or not he gets a new contract.

I thought he looked very assured today and although I wouldn't quite go as far as saying he should be our No1 at the moment, I certainly don't fear seeing his name on the team-sheet and don't think him becoming first choice is too far away.........
  • Options
    I'm not sure Henderson should automatically displace Pope now.
  • Options

Henderson - best goalie we've had since Keily

Scott Carson was is/was better than Henderson.
    We'll agree to differ.

Ok.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob has handled Pope really well. We should't forget that there were calls for him to be dropped after the Derby match early in the season. The manager showed faith in him, keeping him in the starting eleven for the Huddersfield match and I think we're really seeing the benefits of that decision now.
  • Options
    At the game yesterday I thought Pope had no chance with a worldy top corner strike. Watched it on TV and he actually got a hand to it, an inch away from a worldy save. He's getting better every game, although Henderson is top notch.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Henderson has the experience on his side but I wasn't convinced at first, he has grown on me though. Pope notwithstanding his Derby howler has acquitted himself well, not much to chose between them, such a nice problem for BB to have.
  • Options
    Pope could be a real star. He looks superb at cross taking.

Personally, I think he should keep the jersey until he deserves to lose it.
  • Options
    Francis or Solly??
  • Options
    How tall......very tall...
  • Options
    I'm always of the opinion that if a player has the shirt and is doing well then it's his to lose. Even if Joe Hart was first choice why should he automatically get his place back if his deputy has been playing well? If you drop a player who has been playing well what message does it send them?
  • Options
    Let's hope that Henderson isn't rushed back before his injury has properly healed.

Pope just needs to play getting more games under his belt, a little more confidence perhaps -and watch him develop into a very competant keeper.

• Options
    reminds me of when nicky weaver got injured, elliot took his chance after a shakey start and never looked back and weaver couldnt get back into the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

reminds me of when nicky weaver got injured, elliot took his chance after a shakey start and never looked back and weaver couldnt get back into the team.

I'm sure Weaver was actually dropped as it seemed every shot at him went in.

Also Weaver was on a good bonus for playing in games.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Elliot got his chance when Weaver got a red card in the first three minutes at Plymouth, 2008. I was in the front row with my girlfiend and she went ballistic with everyone else when Lita scored the second, just as if she knew what the f*** was going on! Happy days!:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7320190.stm
  • Options

Elliot got his chance when Weaver got a red card in the first three minutes at Plymouth, 2008. I was in the front row with my girlfiend and she went ballistic with everyone else when Lita scored the second, just as if she knew what the f*** was going on! Happy days!:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7320190.stm

In the next game Randolph played against Southampton and dropped the ball onto Paddy McCarthy's head for an own goal.

Elliot got his chance under Parky the next season when we drew 2-2 with Derby, it was live on Sky.
  • Options
    Fair enough.