Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kasabian at Brixton

2»

Comments

• colthe3rd said:

Good example of a singles band, never had a complete album imo.

Do me a favour and listen to their debut and West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum if you haven't . If you have then fair play. IMO they're a band that don't get enough credit for being as daring as they are when they could just play it safe now that they're huge.
    Not sure how that is doing you a favour but I own both. I don't dislike them buit I still think it's a valid point. Their debut album was excellent but it did tail off towards the end. I do like a lot of their work and live they are good. Their new album is dog shit though, you say they are being daring now they're huge, I'd say they are playing up to the stereotype of a typical Kasabian fan with the new album.
  • colthe3rd said:

Do me a favour and listen to their debut and West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum if you haven't . If you have then fair play. IMO they're a band that don't get enough credit for being as daring as they are when they could just play it safe now that they're huge.
    And Empire. Another solid album.
  • Yeah solid but still a few that are filler on there. Like I said, no complete albums.
  • edited December 2014
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Not sure how that is doing you a favour but I own both. I don't dislike them buit I still think it's a valid point. Their debut album was excellent but it did tail off towards the end. I do like a lot of their work and live they are good. Their new album is dog shit though, you say they are being daring now they're huge, I'd say they are playing up to the stereotype of a typical Kasabian fan with the new album.
    Complete agree about them being a singles band. I bought all four of their albums in one go on iTunes a couple of years back after loving pretty much all of their singles up until that point.

Was hugely disappointed and bored when trying to listen to them in completion.
  • I went to a bar called Plan B before a Gaslight gig once and they were doing some god deals on booze. Pretty quiet in there too. Beehive is a good shout as well.

Gaslight Anthem are up there with Kasabian and Prodigy as the best live acts around at the moment (and for many a years back).
  • edited December 2014

I went to a bar called Plan B before a Gaslight gig once and they were doing some god deals on booze. Pretty quiet in there too. Beehive is a good shout as well.

Gaslight Anthem are up there with Kasabian and Prodigy as the best live acts around at the moment (and for many a years back).
    Agreed. Been to see Gaslight a fair few times, most recently at Ally Pally a few weeks back. Two hour set and probably the best I've seen them live. Never seen Prodigy but I'd love to. I'll also throw The Rolling Stones and The National in as another two of my favourite live acts.

Edit: and The Stone Roses!
  • edited December 2014

I went to a bar called Plan B before a Gaslight gig once and they were doing some god deals on booze. Pretty quiet in there too. Beehive is a good shout as well.

Agreed. Been to see Gaslight a fair few times, most recently at Ally Pally a few weeks back. Two hour set and probably the best I've seen them live. Never seen Prodigy but I'd love to. I'll also throw The Rolling Stones and The National in as another two of my favourite live acts.

Gutted I missed the Ally Pally gig, it was my birthday that day and would have been perfect...except I'd booked to go Paris instead!
    For energy and passion, I don't think anyone can touch Prodigy live, they are immense and have consistently been so every time I've seen them (indoors and festival headliners).
    I've heard very good things about The National, yet to see them live though.

Oh and of course The Stone Roses. Though didn't see them back in the day.
  • Lawrie is there tonight:

Lawrie Wilson @Lawrie_Wilson · 15m 15 minutes ago
    Let's see what Kasabian can produce for me tonight...
  • Might go up and tout it last minute on Saturday.
  • Will be seeing them Friday, and will be my 3rd time this year. Went up to Leicester for their homecoming gig which was awesome and then doubled up a trip to Rome with seeing them while there. Sounded unreal as always, but the Italians aren't mad for them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Was doing something at the BBC yesterday and serge was there, great guy great band gutted I couldnt attend the gig, with my guys last night
  • Lawrie is there tonight:

Lawrie Wilson @Lawrie_Wilson · 15m 15 minutes ago
    Let's see what Kasabian can produce for me tonight...

I heard he thought they used to be shite, but now they're alright.

Gutted I missed the Ally Pally gig, it was my birthday that day and would have been perfect...except I'd booked to go Paris instead!
    For energy and passion, I don't think anyone can touch Prodigy live, they are immense and have consistently been so every time I've seen them (indoors and festival headliners).
    I've heard very good things about The National, yet to see them live though.

Oh and of course The Stone Roses. Though didn't see them back in the day.
    Prodigy are top of my list. Heard good things about them live. I was lucky enough to see Stone Roses and Primal Scream at Heaton Park a couple of years ago. Amazing.
  • Had my wallet nicked at a Prodigy gig once. Just as well the show made up for it.
  • Saw them last night. Absolutely fantastic band live. I agree with the criticism about not having a full album but at the gigs you get all the best ones with a few surprises slipped in.
    They put on a real show, they don't just sing the songs and at times with all the effects it feels like your at a rave. I don't know what genre they're under at the moment (definitely not indie) but whatever it is they're undoubtedly one of the best live bands in the country.
  • I thought their set was pretty disappointing last night and I personally did not enjoy it as much as when they last played there 4/5 years ago. Strings works for someone like Weller, but not for Kasabian imo. The lighting was excellent, but thought the accoustics for Tom the lead singer, were poor (unusual for Brixton) and a better playlist could have been selected.

Probably my personal choice but feel the best songs are largely drawn from the first two albums. Just glad I was not near the manic mosh pit in front of Serge throughout the gig. Still not as bad as the Jam at the Rainbow in our Jam suits late 70's/early 80's though!!

I think you called it right.
    Really enjoyed it last night, but not as much as last time at Brixton, which was 2 or 3 years ago.
    I agree that having a string section, doesn't work too well for Kasabian. It's ok, but better without. I mean, would Oasis have a string section, if they were still going?
    They didn't play a lot of my favourites (which are prob the same as other people's).
    I also thought Tom "disappeared" more than usual. 3 times I think he exited & left Serge to it.
    Once again, Serge is great, but you still get the feeling that "he's holding the fort", until Tom returns.

Maccabees played 7.30-8.30. I didn't think much of them.
    Kasabian played 9.00-10.50, including the usual encore.

Rating 7.5, as opposed to last time 10. Good gig, but I've seen better from them.

• I'm always shocked by this assertion that Brixton is the best venue. I have been there an awful lot over the years but I could probably count 2 or 3 times when it has been a great night. The sound is poor, it's too big, nightmare getting to the bar and takes ages getting out.
  • What venues do you rate better mate? For everything
  • In London. I've always had a good time at Electric Ballroom, two big bars downstairs and the balcony area is good. Small enough that the sound doesn't get lost. I guess not comparable for the size of Brixton but on a similar scale I'd rather the Roundhouse, as long as you don't get stuck behind a post of course. Think the acoustics in there are miles ahead. Astoria was always my favourite until it shut.
  • The troxy is a cracking venue
  • Actually yeah the troxy is great.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

I'm always shocked by this assertion that Brixton is the best venue. I have been there an awful lot over the years but I could probably count 2 or 3 times when it has been a great night. The sound is poor, it's too big, nightmare getting to the bar and takes ages getting out.

I agree. Even though it's very convenient for me, I think the sound is terrible at Brixton.

• Sergio has become just as good a frontman as Tom in my opinion. Rock showmanship at it's finest
  • Good venues should probably be a new thread, but I love the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Roundhouse is great, but coming out down those stairs always feels like an accident waiting to happen
  • edited December 2014
    Used to love the Hammersmith palais, saw many bands there but standout gigs had to be the verve , embrace and Oasis who played with a string section Covered End
  • All fair shouts. Except the roundhouse, can't put my finger in why. I just don't like it
  • Shepherd's Bush is cracking. Seen some great gigs there.

Generally a nightmare getting a bev in any venue tbf.
  • If you are at She Bu, go up to the first balcony level, there is a bar hidden away through a doorway there on the right hand side as you look at the stage. Always empty.
  • Going tonight. Can't wait. Maccabees should be great as well!