Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Henry - Hangs up his boots.

Wonderful player in his day, he will now join SkySports as a pundit.

Cracking player and cracking goals to games ratio in the premier league.
Thierry Henry
2 hours ago
After 20 years in the game I have decided to retire from professional football. It has been an incredible journey and I would like to thank all the fans, team mates and individuals involved with AS Monaco, Juventus, Arsenal FC, FC Barcelona, the New York Red Bulls and of course the French National Team that have made my time in the game so special.

It is now time for a different career path and I am pleased to say that I will be returning to London and joining Sky Sports. I will hopefully share some of the insights, observations and experiences I have learnt over the years with you guys.

I have had some amazing memories (mostly good!) and a wonderful experience.

I hope you have enjoyed watching as much as I have enjoyed taking part.

See you on the other side...

Comments

• Options
    Senior career*
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1994–1999 Monaco 105 (20)
    1999 Juventus 16 (3)
    1999–2007 Arsenal 254 (174)
    2007–2010 Barcelona 80 (35)
    2010–2014 New York Red Bulls 122 (51)
    2012 → Arsenal (loan) 4 (1)
    National team
    1997 France U20 5 (3)
    1997–2010 France 123 (51)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Was good over the World Cup for the BBC, will be good for Sky Sports too. Ten years on, I'm pleased to say I saw him play at the Valley and at Highbury.
  • Options
    Along with Ryan Giggs, the best player I've seen at The Valley.

I believe it was this game in 2002 where we basically didn't touch the ball for 10 minutes besides kicking off, and they scored 3 times:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1900913.stm

Henry absolutely destroyed us that day, with a defensive lineup that was probably our best in the last 20 years: Kiely, Young, Costa, Rufus, Powell.
  • Options
    I will never forgive that cheeky backheel... T'was a beautiflukey goal

@plentyofshots‌ can you do a gif of it?
  • Options

Was good over the World Cup for the BBC, will be good for Sky Sports too. Ten years on, I'm pleased to say I saw him play at the Valley and at Highbury.

Yep too many times, always a pain in the arse against us.

Told my son his new Birthday kit was rubbish when he was mascot (Yellow Allsports) made my sons day though:)
  • Options
    Surprised that Bob has not been on the phone and offered him a role as attacking coach down at the Valley... huh!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Superb pick up by Wenger, Henry was struggling in Italy but Wenger saw his pace and power would be perfect in the PL and.....

Funny thing was that he did not really play as a striker, he sort of played as an old fashioned inside-left between the right-back and centre-half and caused absolute havoc, you could see the defenders shitting themselves when he ran at them from there.
  • Options

Superb pick up by Wenger, Henry was struggling in Italy but Wenger saw his pace and power would be perfect in the PL and.....

Funny thing was that he did not really play as a striker, he sort of played as an old fashioned inside-left between the right-back and centre-half and caused absolute havoc, you could see the defenders shitting themselves when he ran at them from there.

Also the fact that he could just lay it off to Viera, Petit, Overmars, Anelka, Pires, Bergkamp.

Jesus, what a side that was, puts into perspective the handful of results we did get against them and the things you take for granted at the time.

• Options
    I bet the irish are happy...
  • Options
    As already said one of the best players I hae ever seen and was hilarious watching Tottenhams defence shit their pants whenever he got the ball.

I have seen him score against us more than anyone else I think
  • Options
    What a player. He used to just glide past people. Impossible to defend against at times.

Plus that goal against the Irish was legendary.
  • Options
    Surely the most prolific striker (twelve goals scored) we came up against in the premiership years.
  • Options
    The premier league's finest import.

Greatest player that's been in the prem
  • Options
    Certainly the best player that I've ever seen live. Blistering pace and a sublime finisher.
  • Options
    Incredible player. He could literally jog past players without breaking a sweat. The pace he had with the ball was absolutely terrifying.
  • Options
    Wonderful player. Great attitude too. If you read this interview you can see just how committed he was to nailing down the elements of his game he wanted to excel in. He made everything look so effortless but he demanded absolute commitment from himself and the players around him

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/02/thierry-henry-arsenal-arsene-wenger-barcelona-career
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great player undoubtedly. Couldn't stand his f'n pout when he scored. Nothing gave me greater pleasure then when we did them 4-2 at Highbury, no pout that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    cabbles said:

Great player undoubtedly. Couldn't stand his f'n pout when he scored. Nothing gave me greater pleasure then when we did them 4-2 at Highbury, no pout that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my best days in football!!

Jensen with that lob. Utterly sublime.
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

cabbles said:

Exactly. And although Henry was a great player, I'd prefer this develop into a thread about how great a day that was, as I personally never liked Henry's arrogance.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Big_Bob said:

cabbles said:

Exactly. And although Henry was a great player, I'd prefer this develop into a thread about how great a day that was, as I personally never liked Henry's arrogance.
    Its what made him so good though, weren't it. Great players, Ronaldo zidane, etc just have the swagger
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Big_Bob said:

cabbles said:

I dont think it was arrogance. I thought it was confidence matched with him being quite funny and laid back. The bloke was effortless.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Big_Bob said:

cabbles said:

I dont think it was arrogance. I thought it was confidence matched with him being quite funny and laid back. The bloke was effortless.
    I know, just that pout really wound me up. I also can't stand Arsenal. He was a great player though
  • Options
    just a shame he had to be such a great player for Arsenal
  • Options
    Great career but in 10 years he will look back and think "if only i'd played for Charlton"

Best i've ever seen, all seemed so effortless for him. Poor old Luke Young can finally sleep at night knowing he wont ever have to face him again.
  • Options
    Fantastic player, not many better, always seemed to score against us.
  • Options

just a shame he had to be such a great player for Arsenal

Yeah, like it would have been soooo much better if he was wearing a Utd or Chelsea shirt..............image