Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Pleased to hear it.
    If anyone could state the bleedin' obvious after it had happened, Andy was your man.
  • Please don't go to BT
  • Brian Johnston used to argue a commentator shouldn't speak unless it added to a viewer's experience.

Townsend should never have spoken.
  • ITV will have very football left next season anyway, just England games, and Andy Townsend is Irish LOL
  • Thank goodness
  • Brian Johnston used to argue a commentator shouldn't speak unless it added to a viewer's experience.

I think that was Richie Benaud, dear old Johnners never shut up!
  • Sponsored links:

• He already does a lot of work for the Premier League's own channel, not seen in the UK, where I'd say he comes across better than he does on ITV for some reason. Perhaps it's less "tabloid" and in John Dykes has a much more professional sports presenter than Adrian Chiles or Matt Smith.
  • Probably one of the best out there right now in is Stan Collymore , says it like it is and never toes the ex-footballer line. For example he's often very vocal about diving and gets quite angry when people come up with the "he got touched he's got a right to go down" crap.

Unfortunately he won't be on TV because of the Ulrika thing I fear.
  • Thank God for that he is a one big dick head
  • The real good news is that ITV don't have the football to offer him. It's not just Towsend we won't be seeing much of. It's all of them - Chiles, Smith and Tydesely and car adverts during goals.
  • Riviera said:

Brian Johnston used to argue a commentator shouldn't speak unless it added to a viewer's experience.

I think that was Richie Benaud, dear old Johnners never shut up!
    You're probably right given Johnston mainly worked in radio (where staying silent is not considered best practice).

I may have read it in Johnston's autobiography, referring to Benaud.
  • buckshee said:

Probably one of the best out there right now in is Stan Collymore , says it like it is and never toes the ex-footballer line. For example he's often very vocal about diving and gets quite angry when people come up with the "he got touched he's got a right to go down" crap.

And the fact he spouts rubbish about subjects he knows nothing about.

• buckshee said:

Probably one of the best out there right now in is Stan Collymore , says it like it is and never toes the ex-footballer line. For example he's often very vocal about diving and gets quite angry when people come up with the "he got touched he's got a right to go down" crap.

For the most part, the two mainstream sports radio stations (Talksport and 5 Live) have picked up some decent summarisers (Danny Mills, Pat Nevin, Jimmy Armfield...) meanwhile on TV, the completely banal comments of the likes of Townsend, Michael Owen, Mark Lawrenson etc. ruin the enjoyment of matches (recruited presumably solely on the basis of being 'big names').

• Good

This...
    JiMMy 85 said:

The real good news is that ITV don't have the football to offer him. It's not just Towsend we won't be seeing much of. It's all of them - Chiles, Smith and Tydesely and car adverts during goals.

and this all day long.

ITVs coverage of all football, whether it be FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League or England Internationals has been shocking for as long as I can remember, including the days of the late Brian Moore.

Best news ever to hear that I'll never have to listen to Townsend's regular Spurs diatribe on a Thursday night on ITV4. I might actually start to watch the Champions League and England games knowing I wont hear his voice again.

Dear Sky/BT Sport/BBC...dont you bloody dare!

Haha, what a great start to the New Year.

• Sponsored links:

• "So, who's your man of the match Andy?".

"Well Clive, nobody's really caught my eye, and I haven't got the insight or imagination to assess how well a defender I've never heard of has performed, so in the absence of a household name I'll pick the bloke who scored the only goal."

He's lasted a lot longer than his fantastically bad "Tactics Truck" feature; a laughable attempt to do for football what Simon Hughes did for live cricket coverage.
  • thank goodness. I have no idea how he lasted so long.

"I don't know why he's done that, Clive" - isn't it your job to tell us why? Idiot.

Good riddance, generally itv's football coverage is awful, hopefully this goes some way to improve it.

I'm staring at this expecting a Gif to move...
  • I never understood the abuse and ridicule thrown at Townsend, he's not the best but he's far from the worst 'match summariser'. I wonder if he'll end up with Sky, or more likely BT
  • Just need Chiles to follow suit now.
  • I don't mind Townsend. Sure he's banal and lightweight but I don't watch/listen to football for intellectual stimulation. There are other I find much more irritating: Chiles, Smith (who was fine till he started all the staccato talking rubbish) and, especially Tyldesley who I loath with a passion (his commentary that is as I've never met the bloke and I'm sure his mother loves him etc). That reminds me. What is it with all this staccato stuff? The Scottish formula 1 guy on sky sports does it too as does one of their footy summarisers (also Scottish but I don't know his name). It's....very....bloody....annoying....hearing....them....stretch....every....word....out!!!
  • Simon E said:

Just need Chiles to follow suit now.

Chiles is back some daytimes on 5Live .. his is DEFINITELY a face made for radio ((:>) .. I find him to be a good radio presenter/journalist
  • Dazzler21 said:

I'm staring at this expecting a Gif to move...
    Aha it does indeed move!

Stupid IE10 wouldn't load... The Fox of Fire however has offered me a beautiful sight.

I get the feeling that I've been staring at this for too long. Is it still Thursday?