Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    That leaves two big building site going spare, in the town centres.
  • Options
    Maybe Lowfield Street in Dartford will see a bit of a revival now. Tesco were building a store there but Sainsbury's, who are directly opposite the site, have bought up key plots to prevent Tesco. That street is just dead as a result.
  • Options
    Would have brought lot of Jobs ....its a shame.
  • Options
    I was born and raised in Dartford. The town centre was quite a busy place....Woolworths, M&S, Kerrs, Phillips the toy shop etc etc. it is now a shite hole.
  • Options
    Wow! Will be interesting to see what happens at Bexleyheath now - the new Tescos was part of a pretty major redevelopment of the shopping centre.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Wow! Will be interesting to see what happens at Bexleyheath now - the new Tescos was part of a pretty major redevelopment of the shopping centre.

Where were Tescos going in Bexleyheath?
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Where were Tescos going in Bexleyheath?
    On the Old Civic Centre.
  • Options
    I believe they were taking over the site where the council offices are and the council were moving to the old Woolwich B. Society site. I assume it may just mean that the old council offices site will remain empty, but that will make B'heath look a bit run down, to say the least.
  • Options
    Aldi or lidil anyone?
  • Options
    Build a Waitrose in Bexleyheath in its place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

I believe they were taking over the site where the council offices are and the council were moving to the old Woolwich B. Society site. I assume it may just mean that the old council offices site will remain empty, but that will make B'heath look a bit run down, to say the least.

The old council offices have gone.
  • Options

Maybe Lowfield Street in Dartford will see a bit of a revival now. Tesco were building a store there but Sainsbury's, who are directly opposite the site, have bought up key plots to prevent Tesco. That street is just dead as a result.

I thought it was more Tesco continually changing their plans, as their original store was going to be the biggest in the country selling lots of hardware, but Tesco kept scaling their plans back when they finally worked out that they weren't actually making much money on selling hardware, thanks to the internet!

Dartford Council have been rejecting other planned supermarkets in the area due to the Tesco plans taking priority...
  • Options

Aldi or lidil anyone?

Lidl have taken over the Honda garage that was opposite the old civic offices. Perhaps that's why Tesco have pulled out of Bexleyheath? Couldn't face, literally, the competition
  • Options
    Has a list been released about which of the 43 stores are closing?

Wonder if the Welling big store is on that list?
  • Options

Really hope not. Three of my running club buddies are the Bakers there. You couldnt wish to meet a nice bunch of fellas.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Really hope not. Three of my running club buddies are the Bakers there. You couldnt wish to meet a nice bunch of fellas.

I hope it doesn't too but there has always been rumors of them pulling the plug on that store with a Wilkos in its place.
  • Options

I thought it was more Tesco continually changing their plans, as their original store was going to be the biggest in the country selling lots of hardware, but Tesco kept scaling their plans back when they finally worked out that they weren't actually making much money on selling hardware, thanks to the internet!

Dartford Council have been rejecting other planned supermarkets in the area due to the Tesco plans taking priority...
    It's probably both. I was told about Sainsbury's buying land in the middle of the site by an agent who worked with Tesco in Dartford.
  • Options

It's probably both. I was told about Sainsbury's buying land in the middle of the site by an agent who worked with Tesco in Dartford.
    Maybe, but Dartford council were 100% behind Tesco, and I'm sure would have acted to help them if they were really being held up by Sainsbury's!
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

The old council offices have gone.
    I was going to say I thought that was the case. Drove up that way for the first time in ages over christmas, and coming up that road by the court I could see the cinema (Latham Road?) and thought that was weird and worked out it was the old Prospects & council building that had been removed and a car park?

• Options
    Yes knocked down before Christmas........( couple of steel supports remained)
    And yes the Honda site has been abandoned as well.
    Had to go to the new civic offices, I think the new Tesco's was part of the borough plan...... and would have paid for part of the move to the old Woolwich building!.
    I do remember when they built the centre, as my wife's friend was the secretary to the Project manager of the scheme. I think Norwich Union were the partner, trouble was it never 'kicked on' when Bluewater came about.
    It was alway's the intention to bring in John Lewis, at the time, but there was an issue over the service road, and access to the A2.
    It still has not changed...... all these years later.
    I guess Aldi and Lidl will re-appear some time soon.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Aldi or lidil anyone?

The old police station in Dartford is going to be a Lidl
    The old Waitrose is going to be an Aldi

So that's Aldi, Lidl, Poundstretcher, 99p store. My lunch breaks are so classy here in sunny Dartford!

• Options
    Lidl is decent now.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Aldi or lidil anyone?

So that's Aldi, Lidl, Poundstretcher, 99p store. My lunch breaks are so classy here in sunny Dartford!

Surely Charlton Life is enough to occupy your lunch breaks :-)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Aldi or lidil anyone?

Surely Charlton Life is enough to occupy your lunch breaks :-)
    To be fair my lunch break consists of walking to the sandwich shop, getting a salad and going back to my desk to work. Rock and indeed roll but it does minimise my chances of being acosted by the bloke selling Mercedes Benz watches from his car. Or tourettes woman who like nothing more than to shout "C@%T" at the top of her voice. Or the black tramp who will show you her tits for 50p.

You stay classy Dartford

I'm going to need an exact location for this please. Oh....and a 50 pence piece if you have one. Thanks
  • Options
    Dartford looks an uglier mess than it ever was; so many empy buildings.
    Can anyone remember the old Jolly .......(?) restuarant in Dartford at the bottom of East Hill?
    That building has been empy for about 20 odd years. The story I once heard was that a developer bought this site (which looks like a very old building) with the intention of knocking it down and building (guess what), flats. The council refused the permission citing that it is listed, so the developer said 'right, we'll leave it to rot' until you give in.