Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tesco cancel Dartford and Bexleyheath stores

Comments

• Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Aldi or lidil anyone?

The old police station in Dartford is going to be a Lidl
    The old Waitrose is going to be an Aldi

So that's Aldi, Lidl, Poundstretcher, 99p store. My lunch breaks are so classy here in sunny Dartford!

Surely Charlton Life is enough to occupy your lunch breaks :-)
    To be fair my lunch break consists of walking to the sandwich shop, getting a salad and going back to my desk to work. Rock and indeed roll but it does minimise my chances of being acosted by the bloke selling Mercedes Benz watches from his car. Or tourettes woman who like nothing more than to shout "C@%T" at the top of her voice. Or the black tramp who will show you her tits for 50p.

You stay classy Dartford

Can't believe this is my home town you're dissing, Swis !

Sadly though, it has come to this sorry state.

Apart from a couple of visits to The Orchard, I can't remember when I last took my life in my hands and perused those characterful shops you mention.

I was born in Lowfield St and lived there for 22 years so the Tesco fiasco is of particular interest to me. Mum was a few days old when her family took over the brand new council house and she lived there for the first 90 of her nearly 95 years. Thankfully, she is pretty much housebound here with us now so she will never have to see how her locality has been devastated.

As the News Shopper article states, there was no Plan B. And I'm not holding my breath that one will be forthcoming any time soon.

A historic town brought to its knees by a supermarket chain ! You couldn't make it up .

By the way, Swis. Please get your facts right....

It's " P**K" I shout !
    makes a change from Rydon Homes trying to ruin lovely East Sussex towns Fanny ;-)
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Aldi or lidil anyone?

So that's Aldi, Lidl, Poundstretcher, 99p store. My lunch breaks are so classy here in sunny Dartford!

To be fair my lunch break consists of walking to the sandwich shop, getting a salad and going back to my desk to work. Rock and indeed roll but it does minimise my chances of being acosted by the bloke selling Mercedes Benz watches from his car. Or tourettes woman who like nothing more than to shout "C@%T" at the top of her voice. Or the black tramp who will show you her tits for 50p.

You stay classy Dartford

Can't believe this is my home town you're dissing, Swis !

Sadly though, it has come to this sorry state.

Apart from a couple of visits to The Orchard, I can't remember when I last took my life in my hands and perused those characterful shops you mention.

I was born in Lowfield St and lived there for 22 years so the Tesco fiasco is of particular interest to me. Mum was a few days old when her family took over the brand new council house and she lived there for the first 90 of her nearly 95 years. Thankfully, she is pretty much housebound here with us now so she will never have to see how her locality has been devastated.

As the News Shopper article states, there was no Plan B. And I'm not holding my breath that one will be forthcoming any time soon.

A historic town brought to its knees by a supermarket chain ! You couldn't make it up .

By the way, Swis. Please get your facts right....

It's " P**K" I shout !
    makes a change from Rydon Homes trying to ruin lovely East Sussex towns Fanny ;-)
    Really, Large ?

Do tell !

• Options
    Maybe Laura hasn't told you but Rydon Homes are seeking planning permission to build 35 homes in Wadhurst which the villagers are objecting to most strongly. They have formed an action group, the WAG'S, to fight it and other future proposed developments which will follow. We too are fighting an application from Rydon in Ninfield (55 homes) and have formed our our action group, the NAG'S, as have Herstmonceux (HAG'S), Ringmer (RAG's) and there is now a plan to join forces to fight the evil Rydon Homes together.
  • Options

Maybe Laura hasn't told you but Rydon Homes are seeking planning permission to build 35 homes in Wadhurst which the villagers are objecting to most strongly. They have formed an action group, the WAG'S, to fight it and other future proposed developments which will follow. We too are fighting an application from Rydon in Ninfield (55 homes) and have formed our our action group, the NAG'S, as have Herstmonceux (HAG'S), Ringmer (RAG's) and there is now a plan to join forces to fight the evil Rydon Homes together.

Blimers !

That's the first I've heard about it.

They're actually in Tidebrook as opposed to Wadhurst but obviously very close.

Mind you, if they're built, maybe I could persuade Richard to take a closer look at moving....

:-)

• Options
    I know you put a smiley but don't you dare. Rydon are the scourge of East Sussex at the moment. The annoying thing is the villages don't need new housing, there is currently a surplus on the market as it is, and they are just ruining the countryside and close knit local communities. I better stop now or I could go on forever. Grrrr ...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Tesco's are no great loss. Just drive a couple of miles and you'll find another one if that's your bag.

I see Dartford Gateway has been approved. Some good renders in the link below

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1791850

Although a few years filled with Dartford and SE London's finest, I doubt it will remain as pristine as the renders!
  • Options

Build a Waitrose in Bexleyheath in its place.

Totally agree!
  • Options
    I quite like Darford ,take my mum there sometimes in the Summer we sit in Prince's Park,had one of the drinkers comment on my Charlton Tattoo once said he was a supporter.Mind you I now live in Hastings
  • Options
    Tesco did the same in Ashtead, Surrey, where the locals somehow forced them to turn the empty site into a small park. They did the bare minimum but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    scores of planned stores, small and huge will not now be built or opened if already built .. 43 stores, mainly of the smaller 'corner shop' variety will be closed and Tesco's pension scheme will be closed to new employees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-30743683
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Build a Waitrose in Bexleyheath in its place.

Totally agree!
    This. About the only store where shopping is actually enjoyable.
  • Options
    Does not matter about tesco as everybody will be shopping in the new aldi there anyway
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Aldi or lidil anyone?

the black tramp who will show you her tits for 50p.

You stay classy Dartford

Good old Brenda. Nightmare for me at work.
  • Options
    Only 99p store and poundland strong enough to survive in bexleyheath and especially dartford
  • Options
    Not Ideal that Tesco have pulled out of Dartford but what has the council been doing, IS there a plan B.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Tesco did the same in Ashtead, Surrey, where the locals somehow forced them to turn the empty site into a small park. They did the bare minimum but it's better than nothing.

Probably just their Value range park...
  • Options
    Tesco express to close in Belvedere and also rumoured that the Welling store is to close.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Tesco express to close in Belvedere and also rumoured that the Welling store is to close.

Welling superstore not on the list to be closed
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Aldi or lidil anyone?

You stay classy Dartford

Where do I find this tramp?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Badger said:

I heard that the moon and sixpence tesco is to shut
  • Options
    Any idea what the site will be replaced with yet?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Badger said:

Yup
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Badger said:

I hope they turn it back into a pub so I can re-live my teens!
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Badger said:

I hope they turn it back into a pub so I can re-live my teens!
    And revert to its proper name - The Station.
  • Options
    Sooner Tesco goes tits up the better imo
  • Options
    Not giving The Guardian any hits. I'd rather read The Morning Star.

• Options
    edited February 2015

I quite like Darford ,take my mum there sometimes in the Summer we sit in Prince's Park,had one of the drinkers comment on my Charlton Tattoo once said he was a supporter.Mind you I now live in Hastings

• Options
    Hastings aka Dartford-on-Sea.