Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My most depressing week of following Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options

Have been down in the dumps the last couple of days, wife suggested I go today to cheer myself up.

And you're missing her already
  • Options
    Talal said:

Have been down in the dumps the last couple of days, wife suggested I go today to cheer myself up.

And you're missing her already
    She would have done a better job in midfield today.
  • Options

being within hours of the club not existing may have been far more depressing.

Which was before the OP's time, as he made clear in the post...
  • Options
    Not sure if it would be the most depressing week in my time, but embarrassing would be a better way of describing the last 8 days imo.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Not sure if it would be the most depressing week in my time, but embarrassing would be a better way of describing the last 8 days imo.

I agree with shirty5.

leaving the valley or the club nearly going out of business was depressing.

The gallows humour of some of the crowd stopped it being depressing like daggers away under Powell when the boo boys won the day.

Result wise 1-6 at home to a struggling Leeds team in the prem or 7-1 at Luton in the old 2nd division.

That should of been our biggest ever defeat yesterday as they had another six very good chances which didn't quite cross the line for one reason or another.

• Options
    This does not compare to the desolation of being forced to play home games at someone else's supermarket ground. But yeah its pretty grim. Its not yet as bad as the pardew/parky season but after the Watford débâcle, I wonder how even a very good head coach could turn things round. Even then, we don't even have such a person at the helm, nor will we have in the next few days IMHO. Our Championship status is very much at risk and I'm very worried.
  • Options
    I must admit I did feel pretty low yesterday. But, with a new day I'm hoping this Guy Luzon chap can do the business. The eternal optimist, that's me.
  • Options
    onwards and upwards

charlton style to win the next
  • Options

Bramall Lane 2014

Defeat at home to Wycombe Dec 2006

Selhurst 1985-1991

Bankruptcy 1984

WW2 1939 - stopped a great team in its tracks

And - having to apply for re-election in 1926 hurt like hell .... (and that year we lost 4-1 at home to Miiiii).

There will be better days to come - always have been, always will be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bramall Lane 2014

Defeat at home to Wycombe Dec 2006

Selhurst 1985-1991

Bankruptcy 1984

WW2 1939 - stopped a great team in its tracks

And - having to apply for re-election in 1926 hurt like hell .... (and that year we lost 4-1 at home to Miiiii).

There will be better days to come - always have been, always will be.

The thread is titled 'My most depressing week of following Charlton' .... How old are you, may I ask!? :---)
  • Options

You got me. I am a mere 67, so, yes, I'll admit to a little poetic licence.

However, one more I can genuinely mention: Nov 59 Villa 11-1 CAFC. Football results (without any blah blah in those ancient days) - bosh, right between the eyes ....
  • Options
    Let's have it right, if we stay up this year and Millwall go down (and possibly Palace). It'll have been the best season since we won League One!
  • Options
    Its strange, really.

Remember on he way home from Reading, all talking about Peeters, what a good manager and has sorted us out into, at least, a comfortable championship side.

Something must have happened that has not been made public. Or, when we dropped points, ie Blackpool @ Home, all hell broke loose and morale was destroyed from within.
  • Options
    ''What the hell was RD thinking when he sold Morrison to Birmingham?''

Given away to Birmingham to save the wage bill!
    He was thinking 'F??k the English'
  • Options
    I don't know. Going to work on that February day in 1984 thinking that by that evening I wouldn't have a football club to support. Every day after has been a bonus.
  • Options
    I've been cynical of the whole network thing from day one, so this week has been just more of the same as far as I'm concerned. One of Rolys' first pronouncements was that it didn't matter which division a football club was in, well it does to some of us...it may be very noble to trudge around league one enjoying "proper football" but I've been there and have no desire to repeat it.

I think the worst I ever felt about CAFC was losing to Palace when we ground shared with them. When the winding-up order etc happened I think I blithley assumed we'd come out the other side like many other clubs did, it was only when I read Airmans book I realised how close we were to disappearing altogether.