Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keepers

With all the bizarre goings on at the club the keeper situation seems to have passed people by and I wonder if Ben Roberts is up to the coaching job, or are his hands tied? Unlike others not totally convinced by Henderson. Etheridge, L1 reserve is definitely his choice but has been responsible for a fair few errors including from reports 3 today despite decent saves. Has looked dodgy every match I've seen him. Dmitrovic possibly foisted on him but Pope sent on loan before he'd seen the former train. Dmitrovic assessed as a typical foreign keeper, unused to players crowding him and not suited to English game, punching everything. I'd recall Pope if possible, but failing that, despite the Pigott parallels I'd blood Mitov. Not seen him but next big star they say. Will get plenty of practice. Given reports of TBH/Bikey clique I'd also have Gomes/Thomas combo at back.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Henderson - keeping clean sheets on his own at the start of the season, injured
    Pope - was promising but started dropping too many clangers
    Phillips - obviously judged to be not up for it YET
    Etheridge - all RD would authorise funds for
    Dmitrovic - RD: "you told me you need goalkeepers? here's one from Ujpest that needs games"
  • Options
    Have seen most goals conceded by Pope and am still convinced on most he was leg down by those in front of him.
  • Options
    Who was the last keeper we had over the age of 28... Been lacking the experience for years now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Who was the last keeper we had over the age of 28... Been lacking the experience for years now.

Alnwick? He seemed to have been around a while when we got him anyway
  • Options
    Spare a thought for Scunthorpe, both their keepers broke their arms in the first half today.
  • Options
    Ethridge made a couple of decent stops today - BUT he was guilty of 2 absolute howlers in the firat half.

Get Popey back, and let's tough it out with him in goal.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Think he was at fault for the 2nd, should have come out. As for the 5th, their No.18 standing on the end of the wall. Moves out the way as the ball goes passed and into the corner.
  • Options

Maybe we should sign this fella? Don't think the ball would get past him.

ha ha

its a no from me mainly because he doesnt have any arms
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the start of the season
    2011/2012:
    Hamer (1st) 65 League Two apps/28 League One apps
    Sullivan (Back-Up) 30 League One apps
    Pope (Hot Prospect)

2012/2013:
    Hamer (1st) 65 League Two apps/69 League One apps
    Button (Back-Up) 43 League Two apps/31 League One apps/16 Championship apps
    Sullivan (3rd Choice) 33 League One apps
    Pope (Hot Prospect) 15 Ryman Prem apps/4 Conference South apps

2013/2014:
    Hamer (1st) 69 League One apps/42 Championship apps
    Alnwick (Back-Up) 19 League One apps/34 Championship apps/6 Premiership apps
    Pope (Hot Prospect) 9 Conference apps/1 Championship app

2014/2015:
    Henderson (1st) 33 League One apps/54 Championship apps
    Pope (Back-Up) 14 Conference apps/22 League Two apps/1 Championship app

06/01 - 2014/2015
    Henderson (1st Inj) 33 League One apps/69 Championship apps
    Etheridge (Back-Up) 12 League Two apps/4 League One apps
    Dmitrovic (Back-Up/Hot Prospect) 12 Hungarian Division One apps
    Pope (4th loaned out) 14 Conference apps/22 League Two apps/6 Championship apps

CP regarded Hamer as no1 from the off, but always brought in a back-up keeper with experience at that level while Pope gained experience in lower leagues.

Now what would most clubs do if the 1st choice is injured and 2nd choice performances are below par look around and loan in a more experienced keeper.

Pope has more experience then Etheridge & Dmitrovic, It is a total gamble.
  • Options

Have seen most goals conceded by Pope and am still convinced on most he was leg down by those in front of him.

Not at the Blackpool game then?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

1st goal palmed it out to an unmarked player who put it back in mix. No other defender got near it. Possible mistake but I always prefer a keeper who attacks every ball rather than waits for something to save. 2nd goal their guy was totally alone in 6 yd box, he tried to make himself big which looked like a "flap". Can't see any recent keeper would have done better
  • Options
    Was that recent or decent?
  • Options

With all the bizarre goings on at the club the keeper situation seems to have passed people by and I wonder if Ben Roberts is up to the coaching job, or are his hands tied? Unlike others not totally convinced by Henderson. Etheridge, L1 reserve is definitely his choice but has been responsible for a fair few errors including from reports 3 today despite decent saves. Has looked dodgy every match I've seen him. Dmitrovic possibly foisted on him but Pope sent on loan before he'd seen the former train. Dmitrovic assessed as a typical foreign keeper, unused to players crowding him and not suited to English game, punching everything. I'd recall Pope if possible, but failing that, despite the Pigott parallels I'd blood Mitov. Not seen him but next big star they say. Will get plenty of practice. Given reports of TBH/Bikey clique I'd also have Gomes/Thomas combo at back.

I think Ben Roberts is one of the few things that doesn't need changing at the club at the moment.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

I think Ben Roberts is one of the few things that doesn't need changing at the club at the moment.
    So are we going to continue with a L1 reserve between the posts and a young rookie with no experience of the English game (and from a league where Nego has been described as the best RB in that country) as back-up?
  • Options

Gillis said:

So are we going to continue with a L1 reserve between the posts and a young rookie with no experience of the English game (and from a league where Nego has been described as the best RB in that country) as back-up?
    I'd certainly hope not, but I don't think that not currently having a fit, experienced goalkeeper at the club can be laid at Roberts' door. He's a coach, and ultimately has no control over whether another 'keeper is brought in or not.

That said, I believe he played a role in identifying Hamer, Alnwick and Henderson, all of whom I consider good signings. Even Etheridge seems a reasonable signing to me, as I doubt he was originally brought in as anything other than short-term cover.

As with any coach, it's difficult to say what effect he's had on player development, simply because we don't see what happens at Sparrows Lane, and most us don't know the players personally to get their views on the subject. However, we know that Hamer arrived as a reserve player from Reading, and is now playing in the Premier League. Rob Elliot worked under Roberts for a bit as well, before moving to the Premier League. Admittedly that doesn't necessarily prove he's a good coach -it could be coincidence - but, personally, I'm pleased to have him at the club.
  • Options

Harveys, just because you watch the U21's play, doesn't mean they should be playing in the 1st team.

One of our problems atm, are too many U21's playing in the 1st team, when not up to the job.

So we certainly don't need more.

To say you want to play Mitov, when you haven't seen him play is too silly for words.
  • Options
    Button played a blinder yesterday by all accounts (away @Brighton) - sounded like he saved the day ..... confidence and playing with a team that believes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He was at fault for 1st goal only.
  • Options

Harveys, just because you watch the U21's play, doesn't mean they should be playing in the 1st team.

One of our problems atm, are too many U21's playing in the 1st team, when not up to the job.

So we certainly don't need more.

To say you want to play Mitov, when you haven't seen him play is too silly for words.
    Purely based on the fact that from those ITK whose opinions I respect, say he is the most talented keeper at the club. Eighteen next week so hardly a kid. Is playing a L1 reserve or young network rookie going to improve the brand CAFC? Giving Mitov experience will, and I'd guess may improve our goals against column. Could the fans forgive him the odd error?
  • Options
    Well as I've not seen Mitov play, I couldn't say for sure.
    But if we think Etheridge & Pope are struggling, due to their age, build & lack of 1st team experience, then I feel that is very unlikely that a 17 year old, would be a better option.

Goalkeepers usually mature later than outfield players & I can't recall any 17 year old keepers that have shone in the top 2 divisions. I'm sure someone will though. I think Butland was about 19 when he broke through & Joe Hart was likely about 22 for example.
  • Options

But if we think Etheridge & Pope are struggling, due to their age, build & lack of 1st team experience, then I feel that is very unlikely that a 17 year old, would be a better option.

Goalkeepers usually mature later than outfield players & I can't recall any 17 year old keepers that have shone in the top 2 divisions. I'm sure someone will though. I think Butland was about 19 when he broke through & Joe Hart was likely about 22 for example.

Shilton was 17, but I know what you mean. GK is THE most important position on the field. Henderson is a good keeper, the rest, Pope, Etheridge ? .. not good and the new boy Dmitrovic ?, I don't know. If Henderson is still out for a while, we desperately need a new 'keeper, but then again it's like I need a new Rolls Royce .. under this regime it just is not gonna happen. We're stuck with Etheridge, and a man his size should be far more assertive in his area
  • Options

Nick Pope is nearly 23, 6'6" and not skinny so I'd guess over 15 stone and 16 clean sheets in 24 with York. His loan almost certainly not Ben's decision (as with Thuram) as Dmitrovic not even trained when decision made. Neither of our current keepers is CCC standard so either get Pope back or give a talented keeper (Mitov) the experience that will benefit him and us and his resale.

Tutt 17
    Konch 16
    Bowyer 16
    Jenkinson 18
    Charlie Mac 17
    Gomez 17
    KAG 17
    Mitov 18

What's the problem?
  • Options
    Sorry mate you just don't get it.

I don't disagree, that neither of our keepers are Championship standard, but Pope has proved that he isn't yet ready either. We've just sent him on loan, because he wasn't good enough (for whatever reason). So we won't be getting him back anytime soon, will we ?

Ok I'll grant you Tutt made his debut at 17, but that was exceptional and I knew someone would be able to come up with one goalie, that debuted at 17.

The others you list are not goalkeepers & we are discussing goalkeepers. This is a keepers thread (you should know, as you started it).
  • Options
    Tutt debuted in the old Third Division .In my view had it not been for injury he would have gone on to play for England . He was that good.

Football is very different now . I certainly wouldn't want Mitov or Phillips for that matter in the team at the moment .

What I find depressing is that we have 6 professional keepers on our books and apart from Henderson none of them have decent experience at this level . All of them have potential .Etheridge showed both sides of his game yesterday . If Henderson is out for another couple of weeks I would like us to get a loan in.
  • Options
    Any chance we could convince John Sullivan to take up football again?? Have much more confidence I'm him than any of these...
  • Options

Castillas and Courtois must have been about that age when they made their debuts. The Scottish goalkeeper John Thomson would also have been a similar age.

• Options
    So only Banks, Castillas and Courtois then... No pressure Mitov...