Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Keepers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Anyone know how long Henderson will be out for?
  • Options
    A couple of weeks. He had an exporatory op on his shoulder. They "cleaned it up" and found nothing seriously wrong.
  • Options
    A big problem for the back four is how poor Etheridge is at tacking a back pass. He needs at least 10 touches before he even attempts to kick the ball forward, so more often than not being closed down by the oppos forwards.
  • Options

Well as I've not seen Mitov play, I couldn't say for sure.
    But if we think Etheridge & Pope are struggling, due to their age, build & lack of 1st team experience, then I feel that is very unlikely that a 17 year old, would be a better option.

Goalkeepers usually mature later than outfield players & I can't recall any 17 year old keepers that have shone in the top 2 divisions. I'm sure someone will though. I think Butland was about 19 when he broke through & Joe Hart was likely about 22 for example.

Nick Pope is nearly 23, 6'6" and not skinny so I'd guess over 15 stone and 16 clean sheets in 24 with York. His loan almost certainly not Ben's decision (as with Thuram) as Dmitrovic not even trained when decision made. Neither of our current keepers is CCC standard so either get Pope back or give a talented keeper (Mitov) the experience that will benefit him and us and his resale.

Tutt 17
    Konch 16
    Bowyer 16
    Jenkinson 18
    Charlie Mac 17
    Gomez 17
    KAG 17
    Mitov 18

What's the problem?
    don't forget Lee Harmsworth debut at 17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SibGSix1gk
  • Options
    Daniel Bentley highly rated at Southend has been playing since 17 or 18 I think.
  • Options

But if we think Etheridge & Pope are struggling, due to their age, build & lack of 1st team experience, then I feel that is very unlikely that a 17 year old, would be a better option.

Goalkeepers usually mature later than outfield players & I can't recall any 17 year old keepers that have shone in the top 2 divisions. I'm sure someone will though. I think Butland was about 19 when he broke through & Joe Hart was likely about 22 for example.

Castillas and Courtois must have been about that age when they made their debuts. The Scottish goalkeeper John Thomson would also have been a similar age.

The immortal John Thomson. Totally fearless Celtic goalie who was killed in an Old Firm game very young. Still revered.
  • Options

Exclusive on Nick Pope heading out on loan.

Ben Roberts in Katrien Meire's office.

BR. Nick needs to go out on loan to get quality experience as his confidence is shot after conceding to an unmarked Blackburn player.

KM. Give me five and I'll see what I can do.
    Later.
    Well last year he went to York in a relegation battle where he helped them to a play off spot with 16 clean sheets. This year he'll be at Bury, already top six, and we got him from there so he'll enjoy his Mum's cooking again.

BR. Mmm OK then but we need a quality replacement to challenge Neil who has conceded a few recently. The best we can afford.

KM. Quality? Network then. I'll get on to Dudu.
    Later.
    OK Ben I've got you Dmotrovic, a Serbian U21 keeper who has lots of experience pushing for the No1 spot as he has spent the season on the bench for Ujipest.

BR. Thanks Katrien, I knew I could rely on you.

• Options

BR. Nick needs to go out on loan to get quality experience as his confidence is shot after conceding to an unmarked Blackburn player.

Later.
    Well last year he went to York in a relegation battle where he helped them to a play off spot with 16 clean sheets. This year he'll be at Bury, already top six, and we got him from there so he'll enjoy his Mum's cooking again.

BR. Mmm OK then but we need a quality replacement to challenge Neil who has conceded a few recently. The best we can afford.

Later.
    OK Ben I've got you Dmotrovic, a Serbian U21 keeper who has lots of experience pushing for the No1 spot as he has spent the season on the bench for Ujipest.

Sorry mate. We didn't get Nick Pope from Bury.
    We got him from non league Bury Town.
    He was born in Soham Cambridgeshire, so won't be getting any of his Mum's cooking.
  • Options

Later.

Later.

Sorry mate. We didn't get Nick Pope from Bury.
    We got him from non league Bury Town.
    He was born in Soham Cambridgeshire, so won't be getting any of his Mum's cooking.
    I'm sure Ben knew that but was too polite to say so!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Can we get that Polish Arsenal Goalkeeper? Likes a fag or two? Brentford's best ever goalkeeper?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finders Keepers .. and we need to find a decent one p d q (that for us old-uns means pretty f***ing quickly)
  • Options

Castillas and Courtois must have been about that age when they made their debuts. The Scottish goalkeeper John Thomson would also have been a similar age.

Addicted said:

So only Banks, Castillas and Courtois then... No pressure Mitov...

Who? :')
  • Options
    Still think one of our biggest mistakes of the last couple of seasons was letting Button leave. Best GK at the club in my opinion..........
  • Options

Still think one of our biggest mistakes of the last couple of seasons was letting Button leave. Best GK at the club in my opinion..........

Financially driven though, Spurs wanted their delayed invoice paid and we did not have the money
  • Options
    Good bit of experience for him.
  • Options
    How is Pope getting on on loan??