Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

naby sarr ? another from outside the rd network

Comments

• Options

I welcome the new signing, as seems decent but will be annoyed if it is to replace Ben Haim due to the arrival of Luzon, as he is the one actual success from the Network so far, a quality player, only 32 and who is settled in London, hopefully we are offering him a contract extension to build our defence around not moving him out because of RD latest chosen one, even more so considering they don't tend to last very long before the next chosen one arrives.

I agree. I remember watching an interview with George Graham once and he said he didn't care if he didn't get on with a player. If he was going to help him win football matches, he'd pick him. Luzon and TBH need to man up.
    Im hoping the fact he played on Saturday, means it is all just talk, surely we are not going to make the same mistake of letting an experienced quality player go on the cheap two January transfer windows in a row.
  • Options

I welcome the new signing, as seems decent but will be annoyed if it is to replace Ben Haim due to the arrival of Luzon, as he is the one actual success from the Network so far, a quality player, only 32 and who is settled in London, hopefully we are offering him a contract extension to build our defence around not moving him out because of RD latest chosen one, even more so considering they don't tend to last very long before the next chosen one arrives.

I agree. I remember watching an interview with George Graham once and he said he didn't care if he didn't get on with a player. If he was going to help him win football matches, he'd pick him. Luzon and TBH need to man up.
    Im hoping the fact he played on Saturday, means it is all just talk, surely we are not going to make the same mistake of letting an experienced quality player go on the cheap two January transfer windows in a row.
    But it's our tradition. Parker, Murphy, Stephens, Yann…who will it be this year?
  • Options
    This lad's actually played 322 mins in the Champs League, including 90 mins in a 1-0 loss to Chelsea (who were full strength). Would be quite excited if it wasn't a loan but I have it in for loans and we already have a few too many, not a bad acquisition but as I said, I think loans are a devil dressed in sheep's clothing, even the higher quality loans UNLESS it's to compliment an already super strong squad of which we are far from.
  • Options

I would be surprised if he turns up at the end of the week and plays Saturday, probably on the bench, if so let's hope TBH is not going before
  • Options

This lad's actually played 322 mins in the Champs League, including 90 mins in a 1-0 loss to Chelsea (who were full strength). Would be quite excited if it wasn't a loan but I have it in for loans and we already have a few too many, not a bad acquisition but as I said, I think loans are a devil dressed in sheep's clothing, even the higher quality loans UNLESS it's to compliment an already super strong squad of which we are far from.

Chelsea battered them that night if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

So here's the thing. We are a Championship team. It's not unreasonable to expect that the owners would look to strengthen or at the very least not weaken the squad over time.

In Powell's last season we had a spine of Hamer, Morrison, Stephens, Kermorgant. Not the tip top, but pretty strong with plenty of Championship experience. Add a few quality players around that spine and we're genuinely competitive.

Except they've all gone and it looks like, if TBH goes, our spine is, er, Dimitrov, Sarr, Cousins, Vetokele.

Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.

I think you need to revise your definition of "plenty of Championship experience".
  • Options

Well once we're playing teams as good as Chelsea that will be relevant. Til then, not so much, let's face it.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Well once we're playing teams as good as Chelsea that will be relevant. Til then, not so much, let's face it.
    Oh I know, wasn't a dig at Sarr at all. Just recalling the game.
  • Options

But it's our tradition. Parker, Murphy, Stephens, Yann…who will it be this year?
    Don't forget Andy Reid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being a Charlton fan who's birthday is 31st January, is far from ideal... Every. Bloody. Year.

• Options

Being a Charlton fan who's birthday is 31st January, is far from ideal... Every. Bloody. Year.

window closes 2nd Feb this year ;-)

• Options
    lolwray said:

anagram of bryan ars

Ran by ars

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Vincenzo said:

I'm sure they're working on a number 9. Will be chuffed if it's someone of the calibre of Sarr.

It said in the paper had been playing for their B team in Portugese 2nd division.

Surely that is weaker than the English 2nd tier.

Weaker by a mile.
  • Options
    Does the fact that there are no rumours about stikers or midfielders joining us mean they are playing it very close to the chest or that we will not get anybody in?
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Does the fact that there are no rumours about stikers or midfielders joining us mean they are playing it very close to the chest or that we will not get anybody in?

just means there are no rumours
  • Options
    There is one small problem with the "Championship experience" debate.

We go to one of those, and he says "Yes, I can do a job for you. It'll cost you 5 grand a week."

Alternatively, we go to someone like Baby Sarr, who says "I've never played in the Championship, but I helped my team win the U20 World Cup. I can do a job for you. It'll cost you 1 grand a week"

If it was YOUR money, which one would you sign?
  • Options

We go to one of those, and he says "Yes, I can do a job for you. It'll cost you 5 grand a week."

Alternatively, we go to someone like Baby Sarr, who says "I've never played in the Championship, but I helped my team win the U20 World Cup. I can do a job for you. It'll cost you 1 grand a week"

Or you could sign five players (lets call them Reza, Lioc, Pete, George and Thuram) and pay them a bit more than £1000 a week or that experienced Championship player for £5,000.

If was YOUR money, which would you sign?
    Ah! The exact science known as hindsight...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Or you could sign five players (lets call them Reza, Lioc, Pete, George and Thuram) and pay them a bit more than £1000 a week or that experienced Championship player for £5,000.

That's the point.

Hindsight tells us that buying inexperienced (in Championship terms) doesn't always work so perhaps the experienced player would be better value.

Not knocking Sarr would might be great but it was your who set up the two options, not me.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Llera is technically Championship experienced. I would rather see Charlton taking chances on players, than getting the potential journeymen
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

If he's got a 43m release clause as alledged he must have something about him!

Those things are fairly irrelevant. I believe they are required under some Leagues' rules so the clubs just make them ludicrously high so they will almost certainly never be invoked meaning they will remain in control of when the player does or doesn't get sold.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Millwall have gone for quite a few players with championship experience, and are still struggling, i guess it still has to be at the right time of their careers.
    I know they took a punt on Gregory from Halifax,
    but most of the others are chumps champ standard players(or were)
  • Options

Probably the MILF.
  • Options
    Should be completed tomorow or thurs.
  • Options

Can you get a Championship player for only 5k a week?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Simonsen said:

Nearly all our players were on £5k a week or below in 2012/13 (so 19 months ago) - some big names were on much less. I don't imagine the club has been handing out many bigger deals in the meantime, but perhaps it could be argued that some are not "Championship players".

That said, it's a mystery to me how the club managed to spend so much money last season, so perhaps Reza et al were more expensive than we assume.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Nearly all our players were on £5k a week or below in 2012/13 (so 19 months ago) - some big names were on much less. I don't imagine the club has been handing out many bigger deals in the meantime, but perhaps it could be argued that some are not "Championship players".

That said, it's a mystery to me how the club managed to spend so much money last season, so perhaps Reza et al were more expensive than we assume.
    But could we attract new Championship players for 5k a week? I hear all sorts of figures for players at other clubs and they are way above that.