Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exciting Transfers

Comments

• The only time I ever used ClubCall was when we signed Andy Jones from Port Vale. At the time, was genuinely excited. What a wet lettuce he turned out to be
  • The first sign of disappointment was omar pouso
  • I was absolutely buzzing when we signed Sordell...
  • edited January 2015
    Just about to put the last transfer on my airfix spitfire
    More exciting than any transfer that will happen at charlton
  • Vincenzo said:

Haven't been excited since Arthur Horsfield.

Call me.
  • The last two signings I was genuinely both really pleased about and confident they would do the business were Wiggins and Hollands purely because I'd seen a lot of them.

Not being an afficionado of the minor European leagues I've almost always never even heard of the latest Michel Moulesfrites we seem to be linked with let alone be in a position to have an opinion on what sort of player they are or if they are any flipping good and worth getting excited about.

I also wonder how standards are set and comparisons made between the minor euro leagues. Any player can be made to look good if the opposition is weak - as perfectly demonstrated by the Monty Python team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9k3L1NC2mE
  • I was very excited for Gudmundsson having watched Iceland 4-4 Switz. Then probably Zheng before that....maybe BWP.
  • Don't generally get too excited about signings because the voice of doom in my head always thinks what's the catch !

However, another reason was I remember getting genuinely excited about signing neil Redfearn. I thought that was such a sound, quality signing, and couldn't believe how he never really did it with us.

Had a feeling we'd signed something special with Darren Bent though.
  • The last signings I got excited about were Kezman & Tim Cahill...........
  • edited January 2015
    Gary Doherty
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't generally get too excited about signings because the voice of doom in my head always thinks what's the catch !

However, another reason was I remember getting genuinely excited about signing neil Redfearn. I thought that was such a sound, quality signing, and couldn't believe how he never really did it with us.

Where did you first hear we had signed di Canio?
  • Hate to say it but I'm with @AFKABartram‌ and then bless him Redfearn was such a portly disappointment....still can't forgive him for that penalty miss
  • Curb_It said:

Don't generally get too excited about signings because the voice of doom in my head always thinks what's the catch !

Where did you first hear we had signed di Canio?
    Don't know, don't remember

• I was a bit worried about di Canio, needlessly as it turned out. Jorge Costa was the one for me. Especially after his intro press conference..

Never saw that any details ?
  • I was so excited when we signed JFH.

That turned out well...
  • I caught a game on sky one night involving Crewe Alexandra in which a young lad called Luke Varney was magnificent. I predicted he’d go far and was more than pleased when he signed for Charlton. I even told my boys “trust me we’ve got a gooden here” (whilst alternating touching my nose and pointing.)

… I guess I got the ‘going far’ bit right - so far he has played for Crewe, Charlton, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool. Portsmouth. Leeds and Blackburn Rovers. Oh well back to the day job.
  • Dor some reason I remember being really pleased when we signed Colin Pates from Chelsea.
  • edited January 2015

Nothing can compare to the signing of Allan Simonsen, even though it was so reckless in terms of the club finances. Other signings which excited me at the time were Derek Hales (2nd time), Carl Harris, Bradley Allen and Jason Euell. More recently, Alonso stirred the imagination at first. Then sadly he became a candidate for the biggest disappointment.

For those too young to witness this signing it would be the equivalent of RD signing someone like Iniesta in this transfer window from Barcelona.

And we would probably end up with the same result - Iniesta playing balls through for forwards far too slow mentally to anticipate.

It wouldn't be bad experiencing that again though so Roland if your reading this please do go ahead and ask him if he fancies dropping down to the Championship.
  • As an aside anyone remember who Barcelona beat 2-1 in the 1982 European Cup Final in which Simonsen scored one of the goals?
  • Paul Smith and Alan Dugdale....
  • Sponsored links:

• Allan Simonsen without doubt, but the return of Derek Hales comes a close second...
  • I was really excited about Luke Varney. I'd followed him at Crewe and thought of him as a natural goalscorer that would get us the goals to take us back up. Was bitterly, bitterly disappointed when he just turned out to be a bloke running around a lot. Iwelumo put him in the shade
  • As an aside anyone remember who Barcelona beat 2-1 in the 1982 European Cup Final in which Simonsen scored one of the goals?

Didn't Aston Villa win the '82 European Cup ?
  • The first sign of disappointment was omar pouso

You Wot M8!
  • Didn't Simonsen also play and score a goal in the 77 European Cup Final for Borrusia Monchengladbach against Liverpool? Remember watching it and am sure he was a youngster playing in that game.
  • Mendonca - blew my mind, was the "Championship" assassin whilst we hadn't looked like challenging in the league

Kiely - million quid keeper, symbolised the improvement of the play off team to champions

Murphy - huge statement signing at the time

• To be completely honest I got a bit excited when we signed Piotr Parzyszek, the fact we'd recently been through a few bad years and here we were beating the likes of Benfica to a hot prospect.
  • Danny Green - class in a semi
  • Exiled_Addick Member

The problem is that apart from the Premier years when we paid £4million for players, we were generally skint. Now we have a wealthy owner, but one whose way is to manage a network, bring youngsters through in an Academy, and not lash out daft amounts of money, rather to run his Clubs to avoid losing money.
    At the moment we can't say how successful he will be, one thing that would appear to different in his case is that it appears that his big aim is to make money for himself rather than the Club. I might be wrong, but at the moment he seems to be a lousy communicator, and the Club certainly needs a better voice than they have at present.

• Boysie said:

As an aside anyone remember who Barcelona beat 2-1 in the 1982 European Cup Final in which Simonsen scored one of the goals?

Didn't Aston Villa win the '82 European Cup ?
    You are, of course, quite right. It was the European Cup Winners Cup Final. And the opponents were.........some outfit called Standard Liege.