Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exciting Transfers

13»

Comments

• Options
    I got a tingle when I got an official t mobile text off the club to say that we'd signed two English internationals. Danny ' I turned down spurs to come here' murphy and frannie ' fox in the box ' Jeffers.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

The only time I ever used ClubCall was when we signed Andy Jones from Port Vale. At the time, was genuinely excited. What a wet lettuce he turned out to be

Club call. What a great nostalgic memory there. I'd completely forgotten about that. I think I remember sneaking downstairs and ringing it up in the final minutes of an away night game against someone in the mid 90s, very wary of getting caught by my old dear due to the 59p a minute charges or something
  • Options
    For me it was Clive Mendonca. I had watched him scoring goals for fun for Grimsby for some time, one of those times when you wonder whether a lower league player can do it at a higher level. We all know the answer.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

For me it was Clive Mendonca. I had watched him scoring goals for fun for Grimsby for some time, one of those times when you wonder whether a lower league player can do it at a higher level. We all know the answer.

Up until that season he was one of those players I'd never heard of.

Even after we signed him I always used to (and still do actually) play Sensible World of Soccer and when he was signed I went off to Grimsby / Rotherham to try and sign him and he wasnt even in the game
  • Options
    Andy Reid for me.

I loved the days before social media when you never heard any whisperings of players coming in until it was announced by the club. Nowadays we know 2 weeks before they sign and scrutinise them within an inch of their lives before they've even pulled on the shirt.
  • Options
    I thought Carlton Cole was a great signing at the time. Didn't think it would be us that got him, we wouldn't be lucky enough to sign someone like him.
  • Options
    I remember getting excited when we signed Andy Jones for £300K as the season before he had cracked in over 30 goals for Port Vale!!
  • Options
    When we signed Danny Hollands. That was the moment I lumped money on promotion
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani. Wonderful player.
    The only player to get 100 league goals in England and Italy's top divisions. Am I right guys or has someone else done that now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Claus Jensen and Jonatan Johannson were very good signings at the time.

Paolo Di Canio
    Jorge Costa
    Darren Bent
    Bradley Wright Phillips
    Clive Mendonca
    Andy Hunt
    Graeme Stuart
    Mark Kinsella
    Allan Simonsen
    Ronnie Moore
    Dean Kiely
    Jim Melrose
    John Pearson
    Colin Walsh
    Steve McKenzie
    Colin Pates
    Joe Mclaughlin
    Mark Bowen

The re-signings of

Derek Hales
    Mike Flanagan
    Paul Mortimer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yassin was pretty exciting at the time. Certainly not anymore.
  • Options
    BWP was the last exciting transfer for me, and before that it was probably Alex Song or Scott Carson on loan.
  • Options
    It won't get any better than signing Simonsen, for the younger members it was like us signing Christiano Ronaldo now.
    Although when Killer came back I was well chuffed.
    The signing of Andy Reid was exciting too, if only 'cos me and the Greenie Jnrs where at Sparrows when he arrived in his Range Rover. That was a bit of a surprise...
  • Options
    Andy Jones- Complete let down
    Joe McLaughlin-Started off well but was never the same player once we sold Colin Pates to Arsenal
    Clive Mendonca-Finally we had signed a proven goal scorer and boy did he deliver.
    Paolo Di Canio- Did not score many that season but chipped in with over 12 assists. Wish we had him 3 years previously. Quality player
    Danny Murphy-On the pitch quality. Off the pitch complete lack of it
  • Options
    Back in the day Leighton Phillips and Carl Harris excited me pre Simonsen. Then I was enthused by the great Dane.

Then I fast forward to Lennie's signings in 1985 . During the season Jim Melrose enthused me . He did live up to his billing as well as he helped us over the line and also his excellent season the following year.

I always liked Garth Crooks and Paul Miller at Spurs . They didn't disappoint also for the Battle of the Bridge if nothing else. Colin Walsh from Forest .

We then had a fallow period until Clive Mendonca . For a few years he was always the striker who used to score against us . As said above John Barnes showed glimpses of genius especially when he masterminded our win at Upton Park although because we had used our 3 subs he was almost a passenger at the end. Jespser Blomqvist and John Salako were disappointing though.

Paolo Di Canio , Dennis Rommedahl and Danny Murphy were all exciting signings. Andy Reid was the last biggie from the Premiership era .I had been very impressed with him when he had played against us for Spurs . I guess for similar reasons the next one that really excited me was Jacko . I had followed his career after the goal he scored against us ,he also impressed me when Colchester beat us at the Valley in the Championship.

The only player that excited me in the last year was Tal Ben Haim and at the time I got stick on here about it . I just hope now we can keep him.
  • Options
    Mendonca ,Di Canio,Rommedahl ,Vetokele,Buyens, Robinson(Just coz I had seen him play for Brighton and my dad said to he if Robert Lee even left Charlton John would be a great replacement)
  • Options
    I was excited by the transfers of the eventual League One winning team (Wiggins, Hollands, Stephens, Green, Morro etc), but I thought the signing of Jason Euell (Who had played in the Premier League with Blackpool the season before) was going to be the final piece of the promotion chasing puzzle.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    One of the most exciting for me, but which turned out the saddest, was Tommy Caton.
  • Options

No-one's excited me for a very long time.

I can't believe we haven't met!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DeeBee said:

I was absolutely buzzing when we signed Sordell...

I was buzzing when he left.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

The only player to get 100 league goals in England and Italy's top divisions. Am I right guys or has someone else done that now.

My choice too. Even though too young to have known his pedigree before he appeared at the Valley. Simmonsen was just a bolt out of the blue, but unlike Firmani, he was really just a mercenary. Have to bear in mind how unfashionable a 2nd Div team we were in those days, we were lucky to get a half an inch column exposure in the nationals, so they seemed much more momentus events back then.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

Don't generally get too excited about signings because the voice of doom in my head always thinks what's the catch !

However, another reason was I remember getting genuinely excited about signing neil Redfearn. I thought that was such a sound, quality signing, and couldn't believe how he never really did it with us.

Had a feeling we'd signed something special with Darren Bent though.

Where did you first hear we had signed di Canio?
    Don't know, don't remember

You were in a work meeting. I was excited so i text you and you moaned that I had disturbed the meeting as you didnt have your phone on silent.

You've always been a miserable sod!

ha, cheers @Curb_It no recollection whatsoever!

ps. please stop texting me
  • Options
    Are you getting those texts as well mate ? Thought it was just me
  • Options
    The texts I can handle, it's the picture messages that are embarrassing. Have to keep ky phone well hidden from my wife.
  • Options

pettgra said:

My choice too. Even though too young to have known his pedigree before he appeared at the Valley. Simmonsen was just a bolt out of the blue, but unlike Firmani, he was really just a mercenary. Have to bear in mind how unfashionable a 2nd Div team we were in those days, we were lucky to get a half an inch column exposure in the nationals, so they seemed much more momentus events back then.
    I guess if a player of Eddie's quality becomes available today, he would be signed by a Premiership team.
    Wages were not much of an issue then were they.
  • Options
    I was on my honeymoon when we signed Rommedahl and Francis Jeffers - my wife wasn't exactly enthralled with the news.

The biggest one for me was Andy Reid - I had always liked him and was sooooo excited when he signed. You know that feeling when you just want to phone someone...no idea who....just to say something awesome has happened. Well that's how I was with Reidy.

• Options

No-one's excited me for a very long time.

I can't believe we haven't met!
    Ah, that's Le Point, Mac.

We have.....

:-)

• Options
    Swisdom said:

I was on my honeymoon when we signed Rommedahl and Francis Jeffers - my wife wasn't exactly enthralled with the news.

The biggest one for me was Andy Reid - I had always liked him and was sooooo excited when he signed. You know that feeling when you just want to phone someone...no idea who....just to say something awesome has happened. Well that's how I was with Reidy.

That's a bit harsh, Swis.

Biggest, no.

Round & cuddliest, yes.