Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford - Post match views

Comments

• Options

Agree totally with all the positive comments above. A really enjoyable afternoon.

But just a word of caution. I live in NW London and my son has 2 Brentford mates, one of whom goes both home and away without fail. In the text exchanges that followed on our drive home yesterday, my son's Brentford mate said that that was the worst they had played for 5 months and that wasn't the Brentford team out there that had been playing so well lately - he just thought something was wrong with the team on the day and that this Warburton stuff had clearly upset their players. OK, we played really well but maybe before we all get carried away worth recalling the above.

Also, we have 2 difficult away games coming up next at Wigan and Derby. By contrast, Millwall's next 2 games are winnable home games against Fulham and Sheff Wed. By Tuesday week, all the positive feelings we currently have might have been dissipated somewhat.

Wigan away is very winnable, as their form is terrible, and they're playing midweek as well. They've won 2 games at home all season

Millwall's next 2 games are real 6 pointers as Fulham are in danger of slipping back down into the relegation places. Wednesday should be safe, but are by far the lowest scorers in the division, 23 goals in 31 games. Millwall though are better away than at home, only 3 home wins all season...
  • Options

Agree totally with all the positive comments above. A really enjoyable afternoon.

But just a word of caution. I live in NW London and my son has 2 Brentford mates, one of whom goes both home and away without fail. In the text exchanges that followed on our drive home yesterday, my son's Brentford mate said that that was the worst they had played for 5 months and that wasn't the Brentford team out there that had been playing so well lately - he just thought something was wrong with the team on the day and that this Warburton stuff had clearly upset their players. OK, we played really well but maybe before we all get carried away worth recalling the above.

Also, we have 2 difficult away games coming up next at Wigan and Derby. By contrast, Millwall's next 2 games are winnable home games against Fulham and Sheff Wed. By Tuesday week, all the positive feelings we currently have might have been dissipated somewhat.

Wigan away is very winnable, as their form is terrible, and they're playing midweek as well. They've won 2 games at home all season

Millwall's next 2 games are real 6 pointers as Fulham are in danger of slipping back down into the relegation places. Wednesday should be safe, but are by far the lowest scorers in the division, 23 goals in 31 games. Millwall though are better away than at home, only 3 home wins all season...
    You're right - Wigan away is very winnable. But years of supporting Charlton just give me a horrible feeling that on a cold winter's night up North, the Charlton team that will turn up is the one that played against Norwich. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    After the next two games I'm pretty certain the scum will have ,unfortunately , closed the gap
  • Options

After the next two games I'm pretty certain the scum will have ,unfortunately , closed the gap

I'm equally certain they won't ;-)
  • Options
    I remember when we signed Bulot someone, possibly a standard fan, came in here and said you will only see the best of him of you play him in his best position... I think this is the first time he has spent more than 20 mind out on the left and it showed..

Two strikers up top who are both capable of creating something on their own keeps the defenders busy and creates space for JBG as they are no longer able to double up on him as defenses have been doing.. cousins energy in the middle was vital he screened the defense well but also knew when to drop in and when to push forwards! Top stufff!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    1StevieG said:

Very important result yesterday and full credit to whoever was responsible, but I think it's at bit premature to say it was a successful transfer window. Etheridge, Dmitrovic and Lepoint good signings? .

Etheridge signed on loan in November so not a January transfer window signing.
    You can argue that either way, given he moved from a loan to a contract during the window.
  • Options
    Is it possible that new belief emanates from Bikey not playing? - just a thought. Always thought he would be a disruptive influence since Pompey away pre-season
  • Options
    Someone in the club has told me the coaches are very impressed with Luzon. If we assume he wasn't in charge for Watford, his record is good with only late goals stopping it being great. W1 D2 L1 but could have quite easily been W2 D2 L0. Man deserves a break.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Not a lot I can add to what has already been said, especially as I wasn't there, but I've had a bit of a spring in my step today thanks to finally having that winning feeling again. As did a lot of us it seems, I had a better feeling when I saw the line up. Senior players in their correct positions and an absence of teenagers on the bench.

Not sure if the majority of the credit lies with Jacko or Luzon, but someone seems to have done a hand job of rallying the troops after Tuesday's debacle. Even through the commentary, the renewed fight in the team was clear and needs to be retained for the rest if the season if at all possible. What was also really refreshing to hear was Pete and Tell repeatedly describing shots from Charlton players. We were actually creating chances for a change, at last!

We shouldn't get carried away with either the team performance or any of the individual ones because at this time it could just be case of the attacking players all putting in long overdue performances at the same time and against a team potentially disrupted by the baffling speculation about their manager's future and it doesn't change anything off the field, but we have cause for hope again though which was all but lost 24 hrs ago.

Well done boys.

I did wonder what had inspired them. Unusual but effective management technique :smile:
    That's why Luzon spends so much time crouching down, he's actually wiping his hands on the grass.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Someone in the club has told me the coaches are very impressed with Luzon. If we assume he wasn't in charge for Watford, his record is good with only late goals stopping it being great. W1 D2 L1 but could have quite easily been W2 D2 L0. Man deserves a break.

Not a Luzon fan but this is an interesting perspective ...guess we will hear more over next few weeks
  • Options
    Well I never saw that coming! I had convinced myself the we would never win a game with Luzon in charge. I wasn't there yesterday (me? At a football match? On valentines day? With my reputation?!) but all reports agree that it was no flukey win - a very, very good performance as well as a result.

So well done Mr Luzon. I still remain to be convinced however that he is the right Guy to take as forward. But that's easy to fix - just a string of decent results starting with a win a Wigan and I'll be happy.
  • Options
    While some were really surprised/disappointed that Luzon wasn't given a chance by many when he took over, I am equally surprised that one win has led many to see him as not that bad after all. At half-time on Tuesday he was booed off and generally slated. If we turn things round over a few weeks and have consistency then perhaps my view will change, but not based on one good game. Still, a win is better than another week of misery, and we have the 'haven't won since November 8' monkey off our back
  • Options
    One game did not convince me, especially as the players paid attention to Ben Roberts and Damian Matthew during the injury breaks and blanked Luzon totally.
  • Options
    redman said:

There is no doubt in my mind that the quality of our players is at least top half of the division. The problem has been team spirit and bad management. Has this changed now? Certainly good signs. Could be an interesting couple of months

The spine was strong at beginning of season,
    Henderson, Bikey and Igor,

As soon as Hendo got injured, then Bikey has lost form over the last couple of months and Igor lost form and got isolated by being a lone striker, we were in shite street.

If SH stays fit, Johnson can get fit, and Igor can have the service he had yesterday from watt and the rest of the attacker we have a chance of going up and not down in the table.

• Options
    As someone has mentioned, Wigan playing Tuesday before our game on Friday, so our players can't say they were tired. Hopefully everyone fit (perhaps except Wiggins and JJ, but who knows) same attacking team, Wigan's confidence must be lower than ours, get the first goal and we are off and running
  • Options
    Noticed on the highlights of the FA cup games, in two games, the right back was hassled by the opposition, the ball given away cheaply, and goals scored, in Tony Watt and Igor, I believe we have the sort of players who are willing to do the hassling for us
  • Options

Amazing what can happen when you play 4-4-2 at home with two stikers, two wingers playing on the wings and Cousins in the middle. That with Henderson back in goal I had a real feeling we would win this one and I think it showed we have the makings of a top six team.

The recent run shows we have a good starting XI when all are fit but no depth which led to our disaster run which I think is something most of us will agree on.

Watt and Vetokele playing together showed us we now have two genuine Championship strikers more than capable of creating and scoring chances in this division. If we can keep them fit and play them together reguarly we can start to win all those games we have been drawing earlier in the season.

I have been very vocal on here about the appointment of Luzon but I will hold my hands up and give him the credit he deserves for yesterday. He'll need to guarantee our Championship status and keep up these performances first and foremost though before I will say the worm has turned.

We are getting there slowly. The last two transfer windows seem to have been successful especially when compared to the first disasterous window. Another successful transfer window this summer and who knows what next season might bring if we are able to hold onto the current first team, perhaps sign up Bulot permanent if he is happy to stay and continues on from yesterday. A few decent additions in the summer to give us some more depth and I really do think we can potentially dine at the Championship's top table next season.

Whatever anybody's feelings about RD and the appointment of Luzon nobody can take away the fact that yesterday's goals were all scored by players brought in to the club under the RD regime. Yesterday was a day when the network worked but yes there have been many days when the network hasn't worked either.

Very important result yesterday and full credit to whoever was responsible, but I think it's at bit premature to say it was a successful transfer window. Etheridge, Dmitrovic and Lepoint good signings? The jury is out at best. Johnson hopefully, although he was not actually signed in the window. The Spurs lad is out for the season, which is no one's fault but we're unlikely to see him again. So the positive from the window is Tony Watt. He might just be enough to keep us up, which is what matters, but it's a bit strong to say that the signings in the window as a group constitute success after our first win in 14, especially since four of them were not involved yesterday.

By the way, all the players who scored for Charlton from 1945 to 1982 were signed under the Glikstens. It doesn't mean they generally did a good job for most of that period.
    As a regular supporter since 1950 I know that Michael Glicksten was a prick but I don't think his father and uncle should be looked at in the same light. They were really good for the club at the time and we progressed remarkably under their stewardship with a special and gifted manager in charge. Jimmy Seed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seed was clearly a brilliant manager, but was he progressive? I think he was in some aspects possibly, but not in the same way as Chapman was at Arsenal say.
  • Options

Seed was clearly a brilliant manager, but was he progressive? I think he was in some aspects possibly, but not in the same way as Chapman was at Arsenal say.

You cant compare Seed with Chapman as one was operating on a shoestring budget .
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I compare ideas about the game in the context of being progressive. Seed was clearly a brilliant manager of his time- his record speaks for itself.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Amazing what can happen when you play 4-4-2 at home with two stikers, two wingers playing on the wings and Cousins in the middle. That with Henderson back in goal I had a real feeling we would win this one and I think it showed we have the makings of a top six team.

The recent run shows we have a good starting XI when all are fit but no depth which led to our disaster run which I think is something most of us will agree on.

Watt and Vetokele playing together showed us we now have two genuine Championship strikers more than capable of creating and scoring chances in this division. If we can keep them fit and play them together reguarly we can start to win all those games we have been drawing earlier in the season.

I have been very vocal on here about the appointment of Luzon but I will hold my hands up and give him the credit he deserves for yesterday. He'll need to guarantee our Championship status and keep up these performances first and foremost though before I will say the worm has turned.

We are getting there slowly. The last two transfer windows seem to have been successful especially when compared to the first disasterous window. Another successful transfer window this summer and who knows what next season might bring if we are able to hold onto the current first team, perhaps sign up Bulot permanent if he is happy to stay and continues on from yesterday. A few decent additions in the summer to give us some more depth and I really do think we can potentially dine at the Championship's top table next season.

Whatever anybody's feelings about RD and the appointment of Luzon nobody can take away the fact that yesterday's goals were all scored by players brought in to the club under the RD regime. Yesterday was a day when the network worked but yes there have been many days when the network hasn't worked either.

Very important result yesterday and full credit to whoever was responsible, but I think it's at bit premature to say it was a successful transfer window. Etheridge, Dmitrovic and Lepoint good signings? The jury is out at best. Johnson hopefully, although he was not actually signed in the window. The Spurs lad is out for the season, which is no one's fault but we're unlikely to see him again. So the positive from the window is Tony Watt. He might just be enough to keep us up, which is what matters, but it's a bit strong to say that the signings in the window as a group constitute success after our first win in 14, especially since four of them were not involved yesterday.

By the way, all the players who scored for Charlton from 1945 to 1982 were signed under the Glikstens. It doesn't mean they generally did a good job for most of that period.
    As a regular supporter since 1950 I know that Michael Glicksten was a prick but I don't think his father and uncle should be looked at in the same light. They were really good for the club at the time and we progressed remarkably under their stewardship with a special and gifted manager in charge. Jimmy Seed.
    Bit off topic, but generally I think there is a distinction to be made between Albert's chairmanship and Stanley's (post 1950). Derek Ufton is off the view that the Gikstens themselves were always under financial pressure from the board of the timber firm and that Albert was the only one strong enough to resist that, but it's a new one on me and I don't know how valid it is. Certainly, Stanley's recruitment record was abysmal.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Scoham said:

Had a good feeling about the game yesterday morning and knew we had a chance once I saw the team. Henderson in goal makes a real difference, Johnson was solid like we hoped he would be and Cousins gave us more pace and energy in the middle. Bulot finally got a full game playing on the left and showed he has something to offer.

The atmosphere in the ground was much better than Tuesday night and we played at a higher tempo. Under Luzon we're happy to go direct if it's the right option. That to me feels much more like "Charlton football" than tapping it around at the back like we saw under Peeters. That worked well early on but teams soon worked out how to stop us and we weren't good enough to deal with that. Playing like we did yesterday we looked like a team that can create and score goals again.

The biggest difference for me was Tony Watt up front. Someone mentioned it in another thread that he's a bit like Ricardo Fuller and I thought the same after the match. Quick feet, always looking to run at players, exciting to watch as you don't know quite what he's going to do. There were times when you don't know how he managed to keep hold of the ball. As well as that close control he's physical enough to handle Championship centre backs. Igor seems to link up with him very well, just hope they both stay fit as having two Championship quality strikers gives us a real chance. It takes so much pressure off the defence and allows the midfield to get involved going forward. For that reason I don't think we can write Jackson off. I'm not seeing a player that looks that different to a few years ago, he just can't play the same way when the doesn't stick up front and the team struggle to create chances. Keep playing more like we did yesterday and I think he'd probably get a few goals by the end of the season (assuming he's not out for long).

Agree 100% and those two up front worked well - especially pressing the second ball and forcing errors.
    Watt is made for that - strong, quick and fearless.
    Igor looked a different player who'd regained his mojo having Watt alongside.

Watt is just my sort of player, especially, as you say, he is strong and artful enough to handle Championship defenders - quite exciting prospects.
  • Options
    A manager's ability to affect the game is largely at half time and through his substitutions. Some are more passionate and animated than others and that is what we see from him - that's all. As he picks the team and gives the team talk, i'd be surprised if his input was ignored. When the match starts, you need your leaders on the pitch, not off it.
  • Options
    Only 2 negatives I have on the game. Firstly, we we still bring everyone back when the opposition get a corner. No outlet for counter attack and we end up hoofing it straight back to their defender. Secondly, how frustrating was Buyens! Got into decent space with ball but could not pull off a killer pass. On a couple of occasions he got stuck in and won the ball but need to see more of that than just glimpses. Plenty of plus points though. Bulot, always knew he would come good.....and as for Johnson, well, my excitement at seeing us get him in the transfer window was justified.......

Great goals from JBG, Igor and Bulot who also showed some nice tekkers in the second half. Amazing to think that the last game won was Hendersons last before getting crocked and then the next wins comes on his return. Watt and Igor look like they could cause defenses some problems with Watts energy and good ball control complimenting Igors strength. Funniest moment has to be the irony of the 10 Brentford fans trying to chant "worst support we've ever seen".
  • Options
    Have to admit I was excited but a little concerned when I saw the line-up - would those two wide men give us enough protection to play two forwards? Well they did, and like everyone else, worked so hard. Amazing how often that extra graft brings a player's more natural qualities to the fore - I've never seen Bulot scrap like that, and consequently never seen him produce the way he did on Saturday.

Above all else, so good to see him and Cousins in particular played in their most effective positions. Please, no more square pegs in round holes except in emergencies.l There might still be games / situations where the expansive 4-4-2 we played on Saturday won't be appropriate, but it just felt so exciting to go forward in numbers with the feeling every time that something might genuinely come of it. While Watt and Igor are both fit and up for it, we've surely got to unleash them at every opportunity.

Meanwhile at the other end, so good to have Henderson's reassuring presence again, and Johnson's on-field record speaks for itself. Four or five more performances like that and we should just about be there.
  • Options
    Not much else to say that hasn't been covered. My hope now is that Guy can see what he did RIGHT today and keep doing it. Cousins in the middle, 2 up top, replace players who dont seem up for it (Bikey); these are good decisions. He still gets 10 games. We still need a few more wins. We still need another option up top too, but I guess that's down to big boss Roland.