Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A long weekend in Moscow?

edited February 2015 in Not Sports Related
I've been barricading myself in bed the past week with some pretty intense tonsillitis; browsing the internet I decided to price up a long weekend for next month.

I've been to the Malmo and Copenhagen about 4 times in the last year (for various lengths), so decided to try somewhere a bit further. I looked at Stockholm, then I even considered doing a "Charlton Special" - flying in to Copenhagen, getting the train to Gothenberg and then on to Oslo. (See the Charlton link? ;))

Out of nowhere I decided to look at the prices for Moscow or St. Petersburg, and found an absolute bargain on Expedia - a really well rated hotel right by The Kremlin and flights (w/ 30 minute stopover in Zurich) for about £320. With visa prices added on, I'd be looking at £400 or so.

Has anyone any experience of Moscow? The thought of Moscow (well, Russia.) worries the hell out of me, but it's somewhere I'd love to go - and I fear with the current diplomatic situation it may get trickier in the future.

Edit;

I should probably add, I'm early twenties and would be travelling alone. I've asked a Russian girl I knew who is studying medicine in Moscow for advice, hopefully she may have some advice.

Comments

• Options
    Flights and hotels are very cheap out there at the moment, can't imagine why.
  • Options
    I've been there a few times for work and have never enjoyed Moscow, maybe just seen the wrong areas but it isnt somewhere I would choose to go to
  • Options

haha, I know exactly what you mean - but that's part of the reason it seems like now would be the time to go. Personally I would love to see Red Square, The Kremlin and the architecture out there. However, I can't help but ponder whether travel out there will be more difficult in the future? If so, I'd like to go as soon as.

I've been there a few times for work and have never enjoyed Moscow, maybe just seen the wrong areas but it isnt somewhere I would choose to go to

Just out of interest, was there any specific reasons?
  • Options
    St Petersburg is much better than Moscow.
  • Options
    Went there on honeymoon (odd choice I know) and loved it. Very different feel to rest of Europe. Would recommend learning the cyrillic alphabet before going or you won't be able to read anything. I took a Russian course before I went and it made things much easier.
  • Options

I'd go along with this, also because of the length of flight and time lag I really would go for at least a week if possible.

• Options
    Had to go there for work about three years ago. All I can say is they hate foreigners and tourists.

The people I went to see were very welcoming and friendly, but everyone else wasn't interested. Made the three days I was there quite difficult to be honest, wouldn't hurry back.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited February 2015
    Go for the trains instead.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

haha, I know exactly what you mean - but that's part of the reason it seems like now would be the time to go. Personally I would love to see Red Square, The Kremlin and the architecture out there. However, I can't help but ponder whether travel out there will be more difficult in the future? If so, I'd like to go as soon as.

Just out of interest, was there any specific reasons?
    Just felt really uneasy all the time I was there, on arrival at the airport being questioned about reason for my visit, being told the hotel I had booked wasn't a hotel (which it was) and being offered the opportunity to book an alternative hotel via the customs officials.
    Being in the hotel bar and clearly being treated differently to more local people - it was a business hotel. The taxi system is a bit strange, unless I misunderstood then it is basically getting into anyone's car and hoping they are not a nutter... I am sure traveling with other people makes it a bit easier but having travelled to a number of places it felt more unsafe than many other places, maybe I just bumped into the wrong people like you get everywhere, do you live in Moscow?
  • Options
    As long as you are not going to support a British team in football you should be okay.
    Of all the people I know and have spoken to who went there for our (England) qualifier in 2007, they all to a man said they would never return. Good place for a WC then :(

People I know who have otherwise been seemed to enjoy it, but it will be a culture shock and I'd expect a miserable/rude welcome from a lot (not all) of the people, like a lot of places in Eastern Europe up till recently.

I'd happily go and Russia is on my 'to do' list so keen to know how you get on.

I have also heard that St Petersburg is a much nicer place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We went a few years ago and loved it. Did the usual stuff, red square, kremlin, gorky park etc. The underground system is a must, fantastic soviet era artwork and very opulant. Language barrier can be a bit of an issue but didn't have any issues with the people. This was a few years ago though so not sure what it's like given the current climate. Funniest thing was the guard at the entrance to Lenins tomb. It's only open on certain days for a limited time and as we approached the barrier the soldiers asked mevif I had a camera (I did and they're not allowed) He turned to me and said "you have camera, you have problem. You have 400 roubles, you don't have problem" Cracked me up and was more than happy to pay.
  • Options

Agreed
  • Options
    Given your age and assumed marital status it seems only fair to warn you that you are likely to encounter some of the most gobsmackingly beautiful women you've ever seen. Whether that would outweigh the generally miserable encounters you'll have with the rest of them (given you don't have friends there, which changes everything), well, that may come down to chance.

I think I'd go for St Petersburg, given you are travelling alone. Even if the people were friendly as in, say, Portugal, Moscow is a big and cumbersome city.
  • Options

Even if the people were friendly as in, say, Portugal, Moscow is a big and cumbersome city.

Hence their quirky monniker of "the Carlton Palmer of Europe."
  • Options
    If I was you I would go for it mate. I've been wanting to go for a few years now but I could never really justify it for 4/5 days.
    I don't know if Moscow is an expensive city or not, but I do know that you'll be getting almost twice as many rubles to the pound as you would have got a year ago.
  • Options

If I was you I would go for it mate. I've been wanting to go for a few years now but I could never really justify it for 4/5 days.
    I don't know if Moscow is an expensive city or not, but I do know that you'll be getting almost twice as many rubles to the pound as you would have got a year ago.

Given airline baggage limits your going to struggle bringing much rubble's back.
  • Options

Was about to say, if you go Moscow you've GOT to see one of their games and do a match thread.
  • Options

I believe it's one of the most expensive city's in Europe (or was recently at least).
  • Options

I believe it's one of the most expensive city's in Europe (or was recently at least).
    Thats just for hookers and blow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thats just for hookers and blow.
    Bugger. I'm out.
  • Options
    I forgot about those chaps, some quality photos there! There blog is also pretty amusing, 'Wimblescum'.

The council would go mental if I tried that over at Swanley rec! Mentalists.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    LuckyReds said:

I've been to the Malmo and Copenhagen about 4 times in the last year (for various lengths)

I should probably add, I'm early twenties and would be travelling alone. I've asked a Russian girl I knew who is studying medicine in Moscow for advice, hopefully she may have some advice.

It seems you are seeking a penis extension. Is the Russian bird able to offer that advice despite her nursing qualifications? What are the desired diameters?

Have you tried suction?

Being of Bison heritage I can offer no further support or sympathy. Good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah it is a very interesting place if you don't die from choking on aviation fuel as you step out if the airport. They have some massive travel problems but you can't help but love Red Square and all the architecture. I built a snowman in Gorky park too but the park itself is fairly crap and you have to get the metro though and from memory it's very hard work to use the metro but maybe it's just the alphabet issue, great wooden escalators and Art Deco stations though, as a charlton supporter you should like that type of shizzle
  • Options
    Cheers for the feedback guys! It does seem like a bit of a marmite experience by the sounds of it.

Just to re-iterate, I have no ties out there. There is a mutual friend who (as a Russian speaker with a Russian family, albeit growing up in Dartford) is studying Medicine in Moscow, I'll fire her off a message and try and get some more advice and possibly a rendezvous.

I guess what's worrying me is that I know if I went to any of the other places mentioned, I would feel safe and it would be relatively easy to find a nice bar in the evening and strike up conversation with fellow English speakers. (Most likely expats too going off past experiences)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

LuckyReds said:

I've been to the Malmo and Copenhagen about 4 times in the last year (for various lengths)

It seems you are seeking a penis extension. Is the Russian bird able to offer that advice despite her nursing qualifications? What are the desired diameters?

Have you tried suction?

Being of Bison heritage I can offer no further support or sympathy. Good luck.
    She could definitely cause an extension via suction.
  • Options
    I was there at the start of December for four days. I went to have a look, because whether we like it or not Russia is going to be a big part of our lives and I just wanted to see what the place was like. I spent three days in each of Moscow and St Petersburg.

And they both alright. If you only go to one then St Petersburg is the best choice but they are connected by a 4 hour train journey so getting to both is possible. You will know or easily find all the obvious places to go so no need to get into all that. In Moscow, visit Workshop bar on the first floor of an unmarked building opposite the Matreshka Hotel down a side alley. Go to the Bolshoi, you can probably buy a ticket on the day despite what the website says. info@moscowfreetour.com for info on good tours. Torpedo Moscow play their games in a glorified local park, quite funny.

And Prague is spot on, there are many many blokes batting well above their average.
  • Options
    Good luck with filling the visa form out. It was 12 pages last time i checked.
  • Options

Completely agree - St Petersburg is something else.
    Moscow is impressive and atmospheric though and I have had two good weekends there. The Kremlin is well worth a visit and there are some good markets, parks etc. It can be a bit intimidating though, so I'd keep a low profile. The people don't always seem that friendly and the police can be corrupt.
  • Options
    Truth be told, I'm still tempted to play it safe and I'm considering sticking with Denmark or Sweden - as I feel safe there and know full well I can just find a bar of an evening without any hassle or language issues. I may also have another reason (interview hopefully) that would kill two birds with one stone. I'll see what response I get from the girl in Moscow before I make any rash decisions though!

That said, St. Petersburg looks just as incredible - the architecture in the cities in Russia just looks stunning.

Russia is definitely on my to do list, and if I don't do it next month then I will see if I can drum up support from a mate or two and give it a go over the summer.