Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A long weekend in Moscow?

2»

Comments

• Options
    With the way Putin is acting at the moment, I wouldn't give Russia the steam from my piss.
  • Options
    I went many years ago, as for people of a certain age Red Square is an iconic place (all those May Day parades). An interesting place to visit, yes St Petersburg is nicer, but Moscow feels more Russian. The Cyrillic alphabet is a bit daunting at first, but you get to recognise symbols after a while, so get can get around using the Metro easily enough.
  • Options
    I learnt the Cyrillic alphabet a few years ago, I have a russian dictionary around here too - so I can polish up on the alphabet no problem.

I kinda shelved the idea in favour of Copenhagen or a Swedish city; however - my friend replied today to let me know she'd be prepared to show me around one of the days. She's also said her friends are easy going and she'd bring them out for drinks one evening, if that's the case - combined with what's been said about Russian women...
  • Options
    Hope Aeroflot has improved since 1990. My mate said on his flights the toilets had curtains rather than doors!!!
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I learnt the Cyrillic alphabet a few years ago, I have a russian dictionary around here too - so I can polish up on the alphabet no problem.

I kinda shelved the idea in favour of Copenhagen or a Swedish city; however - my friend replied today to let me know she'd be prepared to show me around one of the days. She's also said her friends are easy going and she'd bring them out for drinks one evening, if that's the case - combined with what's been said about Russian women...

I think that as someone like seriously red would say, the dynamic has just fundamentally changed there :-) Go for it!

Seriously, people who actually get to know ordinary Russians have a completely different experience. Although still quite challenging sometimes.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Hope Aeroflot has improved since 1990. My mate said on his flights the toilets had curtains rather than doors!!!

if you could actually get to the loo. Many flights were standing room only. Men, women and goats.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Did the air stewardess have a fit when he wiped his nob on them?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    LuckyReds said:

I've been barricading myself in bed the past week with some pretty intense tonsillitis; browsing the internet I decided to price up a long weekend for next month.

I've been to the Malmo and Copenhagen about 4 times in the last year (for various lengths), so decided to try somewhere a bit further. I looked at Stockholm, then I even considered doing a "Charlton Special" - flying in to Copenhagen, getting the train to Gothenberg and then on to Oslo. (See the Charlton link? ;))

Out of nowhere I decided to look at the prices for Moscow or St. Petersburg, and found an absolute bargain on Expedia - a really well rated hotel right by The Kremlin and flights (w/ 30 minute stopover in Zurich) for about £320. With visa prices added on, I'd be looking at £400 or so.

Has anyone any experience of Moscow? The thought of Moscow (well, Russia.) worries the hell out of me, but it's somewhere I'd love to go - and I fear with the current diplomatic situation it may get trickier in the future.

Edit;

I should probably add, I'm early twenties and would be travelling alone. I've asked a Russian girl I knew who is studying medicine in Moscow for advice, hopefully she may have some advice.

In my uber cool job as an international playboy DJ a few years back i played at clubs in Malmo, Copenhagen, Oslo, St Petes and Moscow and have to say Moscow was the coolest city by far.

First time i flew to Russia the customs guy stopped me and poked my record box with his AK and grunted something in Russian ordering me to open it. when he saw a load of US soul 7" records his face lit up. i did the international gesture for 'DJ' by moving my horizontally outlaid arms back and forth and he was amazed an english bloke was coming to St Petes to DJ.

Id say go to St Petes in the summer because of the white nights - theres loads of partys going on with scantily clad hot birds.

Moscow has loads to do, loads of bars, nightclubs and restaurants that run 24 hours and hold music events with djs or live acts - it has an underground soul scene a mod scene, hip hop scene with the worlds finest djs all going there.

Cult Bar is a good hang out, its an underground bar with DJs as is Duma.

Silvers Irish bar if you want Guinness and to watch some golf with a fry up - just near red sq. loads of nice parks.

Simechevs cocktail bar is fun.

odd that a lot of the younger ladies speak english but the men dont and dont like 'their women' talking english to english blokes.

you can get transero flights for under £200 return. they may treat you a bit shitty though. BA still fly to Moscow. here http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/

And dont be put off by the Politics.