Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    RIP Dave. What a player you were. I feel very sad. :-(
  • Options
    Proper hard man who could play football R.I.P.
  • Options
    The word legend gets banded around far too often these days but thats what he was.

Another one of the '61 double team to pass :(

RIP Dave.
  • Options
    Hard as nails. They don't make 'em like Dave McKay these days. RIP
  • Options
    I am to young to have seen him play but the footage I have seen cracking player and a proper player that didn't throw himself on the floor screaming (I. E Bradley Johnson Norwich ) r.i.p big dave
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dave owned a shop a few mins from Rd the back of my house, when I first moved here in was intrigued by the fact this little shop called dave Mackay club ties

On several occasions I'd see the great man go in there or be leaving there

I finally got the courage to say hello and have a bit of small talk about the football

Is hadn't seen great fella for a while and didn't feel acquainted enough to pop in and ask in the shop and before you know it ten yrs have passed

God bless mr mackay it was a pleasure to meet you and share some time in the presence of a football legend, I will lay a flower there this evening

RIP a football legend
  • Options
    Now there is a player that can be called a legend...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He deserves to be called a legend. R.I.P. Dave.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RIP

looks like he's grabbing a young Graham Stuart in that photo ;)
  • Options
    I'm not old enough to remember him as a player or manager but from what I've heard and read about his achievements with Spurs and Derby and what a good player and manager he was, there's no doubt he was a legend of British football. RIP.
  • Options
    No, that was Billy Bremner, as hard as Mackay but nothing like the Gentleman that Dave was. Every team would have benefited from having him, it was great to watch him. RIP my friend.
  • Options
    I had a real soft spot for Spurs in the Sixties. They played Football the way it should be played. RIP Dave Mackay you will never be forgotten.
  • Options
    One tough footballer, hard as nails but could play .
    RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    He hated that photo because he thought it made him look like a bully, which in his own words "He wasn't"

RIP Dave
  • Options
    well respected player by supporters of most clubs RIP
  • Options
    It's on display in his shop that photo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrific footballer.
    Went to a "evening with Jimmy Greaves" event where Dave was a guest.
    Jim relayed the story when England beat Scotland 9-3. Frank Haffey was in goal who subsequently emigrated to NZ to which Dave replied and even that is not f.....g far enough.
  • Options
    What a great shame.....hard as nails - yes!....play football - without doubt!.......gentleman of the old school variety - absolutely!!!!!

RIP Sir. a very sad day.
  • Options
    Thinking back on the times I met him the thing that sits in the memory bank is his fine firm hand shake a proper man's greet
  • Options
    One of the first players I vividly remember seeing play on TV prior to my first trip to watch Charlton as a child.

A hard man who could play too as exemplified later by his role in Clough's Derby side when he was considered to be at the veteran stage in the eyes of most.

RIP
  • Options

Thinking back on the times I met him the thing that sits in the memory bank is his fine firm hand shake a proper man's greet

Unlike the ridiculous hugging that goes on these days.
  • Options
    Very sad news he was a great player, proper hard-man/gent and a real loss. Rest in peace
  • Options
    Old school. RIP and condolences to his nearest and dearest.
  • Options
    Considered by at least one of his ex team mates as the main addition that turned Spurs into the double winning side in the early sixties.
  • Options
    A Terrific player from a 'golden era' for Scottish footballers.
    My last memory of seeing him live was for Derby against us at the Valley .. Harry Gregory, Alan Campbell and Graham Moore ran the aging legend ragged but he just never gave up. RIP