Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dave Mackay has died.

2»

Comments

• Options
    An outstanding player and captain - tough as old boots but fair, and with a great footballing brain. I was privileged to see him play many times and he will rightly go down as one of the all time greats of British football.

RIP
  • Options

RIP Dave, an absolute legend everywhere he has been!
  • Options
    They just don't make em like him anymore RIP Dave.
  • Options
    RIP big man.

Another of my yesteryear heroes. Never catch him rolling around on the floor whinging. Proper footballer through and through.

• Options
    Davo55 said:

I was privileged to see Dave Mackay playing for and captaining Brian Clough's Derby side at the Valley in 1969, the year they won the old second division and we finished third (behind Palace, SPIT!). We beat them that day in front of a packed Valley crowd with one of the goals a superb long range shot from Ray Treacy. Mackay was towards the end of his career and, having suffered two broken legs, had moved back from left half (a kind of defensive left midfielder to you youngsters) to centre half alongside Roy McFarland but was still superb. A lion of a captain, a ferocious tackler, great reading of the game and positional sense, great passing skills. One of those all too rare players that had the complete respect of the opposing team and their fans. I was about 14 then and there was almost a sense of awe at seeing him - like when I saw George Best, Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves, Colin Bell and later the likes of Maradona, Rumenigge and Socrates. One of the true greats. RIP Dave Mackay and condolences to his family as well as all the supporters of Hearts, Spurs and Derby, who have lost one of their own.

You beat me to it Davo55 and Lincs.

I'm the same age as you Davo and that game is in my top 10 Cafc favourites of all time.
    Dave Mackay was a warrior on the field and a gent off it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    RIP. Hard as nails and not a bad player either. Would like to see him playing now and sorting out the serial divers and cheats.
  • Options
    Was a very talented warrior on the football field, as many have said on here 'they don't make 'em like that any more'.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I was privileged to see Dave Mackay playing for and captaining Brian Clough's Derby side at the Valley in 1969, the year they won the old second division and we finished third (behind Palace, SPIT!). We beat them that day in front of a packed Valley crowd with one of the goals a superb long range shot from Ray Treacy. Mackay was towards the end of his career and, having suffered two broken legs, had moved back from left half (a kind of defensive left midfielder to you youngsters) to centre half alongside Roy McFarland but was still superb. A lion of a captain, a ferocious tackler, great reading of the game and positional sense, great passing skills. One of those all too rare players that had the complete respect of the opposing team and their fans. I was about 14 then and there was almost a sense of awe at seeing him - like when I saw George Best, Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves, Colin Bell and later the likes of Maradona, Rumenigge and Socrates. One of the true greats. RIP Dave Mackay and condolences to his family as well as all the supporters of Hearts, Spurs and Derby, who have lost one of their own.

I wish you hadn't reminded me that it was in 1969, but everything you say is spot on.
  • Options
    The late George Best once spoke of Mackay as being “probably the hardest player I ever played against”, adding in a FourFourTwo interview shortly before his own death in 2005: “When he broke his leg, he got up as if it was a slight knock.”
  • Options
    RIP Dave Mackay. A giant in the game. Never forgotten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Davo55 said:

You beat me to it Davo55 and Lincs.

I'm the same age as you Davo and that game is in my top 10 Cafc favourites of all time.
    Dave Mackay was a warrior on the field and a gent off it.

Looks like I'm the same age as you too, Davo and Soapbox Sam!

I only saw Dave Mackay play twice .......... for Derby at The Baseball Ground v Charlton (we lost 2-1, after a Harry Gregory goal saw us take the lead), and at The Valley in our 2-0 win.

Absolute colossus for Derby that season, the rock on which Clough & Taylor built their Division II title winning team.
    They won the League by a street.

Davo has said it all.

• Options
    My dad hailed from North London and was a Spurs fan. Mackay was his idol.
    RIP Dave. RIP Dad.
  • Options
    RIP to a true legend.
  • Options
    Did not have the pleasure of watching him too often but a quality, quality player. I echo every word of Davo55 comments. I too recall our 2-0 victory over Derby with that Ray Treacy 30yd thunderbolt in which despite the score line Mackay gave an absolute master class in reading the game. Obviously toward the end of his career he still had that almost instant movement over the first couple of yards to snuff out any attacking threat. I lost count of the interceptions he made.

My recollection differs from Lincs. If memory serves me correctly I think it was Harry Gregory playing wide on the right who almost gave up in pure frustration because time after time whatever he tried Mackay simply stepped up, or back, right or left to thwart his efforts and then almost effortless move Derby forward. Run ragged is not a description I would have used.

It was great game. It was a very good win with a terrific goal but it was true privilege to watch a complete master at work. He was one of those players who was worth entrance money on his own. RIP.

• Options
    pettgra said:

Terrific footballer.
    Went to a "evening with Jimmy Greaves" event where Dave was a guest.
    Jim relayed the story when England beat Scotland 9-3. Frank Haffey was in goal who subsequently emigrated to NZ to which Dave replied and even that is not f.....g far enough.

Slightly off topic Lawrie Leslie is shown as the goalkeeper in the programme but was injured. Poor old Haffey was the stand in.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

pettgra said:

Terrific footballer.
    Went to a "evening with Jimmy Greaves" event where Dave was a guest.
    Jim relayed the story when England beat Scotland 9-3. Frank Haffey was in goal who subsequently emigrated to NZ to which Dave replied and even that is not f.....g far enough.

Slightly off topic Lawrie Leslie is shown as the goalkeeper in the programme but was injured. Poor old Haffey was the stand in.
    Unfortunately he was known as half time (England 3 Scotland 0) Haffey after that game and I understand from a friend of a friend that Lawrie wasn't too disappointed to have missed that game having played in The Scottish v English Legues representative match a month earlier in March 1961 which the Scots won 3-2 at Ibrox.
  • Options
    A story on the radio regarding that photo with Billy Bremner was that it was Dave McKays first game back after a broken leg and Bremner targeted the said leg several times until McKay lost it!
    R.I.P
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

A story on the radio regarding that photo with Billy Bremner was that it was Dave McKays first game back after a broken leg and Bremner targeted the said leg several times until McKay lost it!
    R.I.P

Nice tribute in the times...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    First heard of him on Vinnie Jones' Soccer's Hard Men. Hard as nails

RIP Dave